• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Vicky said:
This marketing is JUST what I wanted, it is subtle and it will get people asking questions. The logo is memorable and I imagine photos of it in public places will be making rounds on social networking sites soon. This beats marketing stunts and silly press releases by FAR!

I imagine that closer to the time, we will see short "blipverts" just showing the logo and the Alton Towers web address on television.

santander_zps6f04d480.jpg

I would like to see something similar to this, used in a central city location. This was a large screen that displayed figures used for advertisement, something like this showing the "smiler" logo or even adverts with a brief flash of the smiler logo would be effective.
A video from Doctor. Kelman, similar to that shown before The Sanctuary would be fantastic, but I can't see that happening.

That was taken in Shrewsbury, my home town. And of course there's an Alton Towers link with the Earls of Shrewsbury.

Meat Pie said:
Eurgh! This is Tower's interpretation of Gurerilla marketing? I mean it will do the job but it has about as much edge as a Mcdonalds logo plastered on the gates.

Very tacky.

And that's why you're not the marketing director! ;)

This is quite brilliant. I was expecting the logo to appear at some of Merlin's other attractions, not random places around the UK! So we have London and Leeds so far, I'd hazard a guess that Manchester and Birmingham at least also have them somewhere or other. I'd imagine we may see the logo at a few other stations, it would make sense if they have a deal of some sorts with Network Rail or someone, I don't know exactly who the deal would be made with. I didn't see anything at Birmingham New Street today though, however the main entrance there doesn't actually have barriers.

So fantastic marketing, I'd love to think it is in many different locations and that lots of people are thinking about what it could be. Then they can do a big reveal as it were in a TV ad or something and it will make sense to everyone.

:)

I think the advertising is brilliant. Simple, gets people talking. I've seen people discussing the picture from London that I put on my facebook just because I thought it was cool.

As advertising goes, its doing the job.

Meat Pie said:
Eurgh! This is Tower's interpretation of Gurerilla marketing? I mean it will do the job but it has about as much edge as a Mcdonalds logo plastered on the gates.

Very tacky.

Looking forward to their projection on the moon.

For reference, these are going up much earlier than any of the similar, previous. campaigns for Air or Oblivion. Quite ironic, given that they opened on time. ;)

Anyway, can't express the glee tha these brought to even a theme park fan as jaded as myself, cannot wait to see one out in Manchester!

Sammy said:
Here are a couple of other pics that I took in Leeds train station about an hour ago!

It's a RAILWAY station, not train. Sorry to be picky, but us enthusiasts do like to be precise! Lol ::)

7griffinjack said:
Sammy said:
Here are a couple of other pics that I took in Leeds train station about an hour ago!

It's a RAILWAY station, not train. Sorry to be picky, but us enthusiasts do like to be precise! Lol ::)

As this is a theme park enthusiast forum and its very clear what Sammy means, its all good.

Now back to topic please.

I have spammed a few of my friends with the smiler, I have now made them excited about something that isn't CoD! Now that is a worlds first. (Even if it did creep them out a bit :D)

I managed to spread the word about it! Unfortunately they thought the ride was called SW7 :(

Anywho, the interlocking cobras look amazing :0

Doh! Now one person is so creeped out they are now raging at my "creepy face's". Well a smile a day keeps the doctor away! :)

Rob said:
So we have London and Leeds so far

I know that I'm probably looking waaaay too much into this, and it's probably a massive coincidink, but both cities beginning with an 'L'? Could this give us an idea about the name? Something that begins with 'L' maybe? The next city will probably completly disprove this, but it's an idea :)

CupCakeMonster said:
Rob said:
So we have London and Leeds so far

I know that I'm probably looking waaaay too much into this, and it's probably a massive coincidink, but both cities beginning with an 'L'? Could this give us an idea about the name? Something that begins with 'L' maybe? The next city will probably completly disprove this, but it's an idea :)

Hahaha I love you and your opinions to bits Cupcake, but I think you have fallen foul of the SW7 madness gripping the boards at present!

There is something more sinister to that smiley, it got me pages ago!!

Quarantine for you!

WELCOME ABOARD. ;D

This is exactly what needs to happen, get the face in the public eye. It's fairly freaky, and will stick in people's brains, then closer to the ride opening date, reveal all. Love this!

Rob said:
Meat Pie said:

Very tacky.

No need for the flippant, arrogant comment. Your opinion is not unchallengeable.

No, I am not the marketing director, but I am someone with experience in advertising and design. I said it will work, but it's really the most boring and uncharacterful piece of marketing I've seen. It's pretty standard, pretty generic, and not really original or creative. It's also inappropriately placed for what is meant to be an alternative, mysterious and ominous advert.

Plastic Person said:

Err... Good for you? What relevance does this comment have to mine...? I just said there's no edge to the marketing and looks very corporate... How that leads you to somehow concluding that I expect lunar marketing, I do not know.

Meat Pie said:
Rob said:
Meat Pie said:

Very tacky.

No need for the flippant, arrogant comment. Your opinion is not unchallengeable.

No, I am not the marketing director, but I am someone with experience in advertising and design. I said it will work, but it's really the most boring and uncharacterful piece of marketing I've seen. It's pretty standard, pretty generic, and not really original or creative. It's also inappropriately placed for what is meant to be an alternative, mysterious and ominous advert.

Plastic Person said:

Err... Good for you? What relevance does this comment have to mine...? I just said there's no edge to the marketing and looks very corporate... How that leads you to somehow concluding that I expect lunar marketing, I do not know.

MP, there's a well known urban myth that persisted for years, that McDonalds once planned to project their logo onto the moon. It has also been attributed to Coca-Cola. It was just a sly gag/niche reference.

As for the marketing lacking character or being generally boring, I would disgaree entirely. It looks weird and playful in the context of a train station, and ominous in it's own way, but it definitely catches the eye. That is the point of a viral campaign at this stage.

Plastic Person - Ahhh... I knew I must have been missing something. :p

And, fair enough, it just looks far too corporate and polished in that context to my eyes. I know people will say that it's meant to be that way since the ride is themed to a slick Government facility, but it does not look remotely dangerous enough. I want to see advertising where I'd never see it before, not somewhere that could easily have a corporate logo in it's place. Perhaps it would work better if it had used a spray paint effect like they used around the park.

Meat Pie said:
Rob said:
Meat Pie said:

Very tacky.

Looks like someone needs to learn how to see and take a joke!

Each to their own though! Out of interest, what would you rather they have done?

Meat Pie said:
Plastic Person - Ahhh... I knew I must have been missing something. :p

And, fair enough, it just looks far too corporate and polished in that context to my eyes. I know people will say that it's meant to be that way since the ride is themed to a slick Government facility, but it does not look remotely dangerous enough. I want to see advertising where I'd never see it before, not somewhere that could easily have a corporate logo in it's place. Perhaps it would work better if it had used a spray paint effect like they used around the park.

I disagree a bit on this one, remember the Sanctuary theme is supposed to be nonthreatening, normal, a place you go to get some help in happy surroundings. It's right at home in normal everyday corporate life.

Sinister is what happens when you get in.

I get where you are coming from, but for maximum reach, creating a buzz (those photos getting plastered everywhere), reaching people with very short attention spans nowadays I have to applaud it.

You need budget to do this, but to take the entire gate system with one single logo in a major city train station?

That has impact. I get tempted to post here the kind of marketing and events I have been involved in, but I wont as I want to keep it separate - but I rate this I have to say.

Simple, effective, and will create a buzz and get people wondering. If it works is measured purely by reactions of people which so far, is picking up quickly!

It's working, that is great for Towers, and boy do they need it this year after last.

What is more, it is fun and made me chuckle so, thumbs up from me!

(JOEL - THUMBS UP ICON PLEASE!)

Can we stay clear of personal please, the closed season madness is already high enough.

As for marketing, I imagine the face will appear around the place to get it in people's heads so when the big stuff happens people go "ohhhh that's what that is"

Sammy said:
Well, I have to say, we have quite a marketing campaign on our hands here don't we! This thing is spreading like wildfire! Here are a couple of other pics that I took in Leeds train station about an hour ago!

2013-01-14142051_zps52451035.jpg

..and knowing how reliable those particular gates are at Leeds, there will always be a captive audience gathering around them. :p

Adam James said:
Sammy said:
Well, I have to say, we have quite a marketing campaign on our hands here don't we! This thing is spreading like wildfire! Here are a couple of other pics that I took in Leeds train station about an hour ago!

2013-01-14142051_zps52451035.jpg

..and knowing how reliable those particular gates are at Leeds, there will always be a captive audience gathering around them. :p

That is really good advertising from towers :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.