• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Meat Pie said:
Perhaps it would work better if it had used a spray paint effect like they used around the park.

It would also be illegal. ;)

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Like the advertising that's gone on so far, although I imagine going off what was written in The Pulse that there will be bigger and more impressive things to come this week.

Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

More adverts on Old Street in London

545081_10151251590183380_964850560_n.jpg

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Dave said:
As for marketing, I imagine the face will appear around the place to get it in people's heads so when the big stuff happens people go "ohhhh that's what that is"

Is the right answer...

Brand recognition of a really simple yet rememerable logo, placed into the back of people's minds ready to be reminded of when the next phase of marketing (probably on the telebox) pushes forwards...

I am right in thinking the first Alton Towers ride that had a viral marketing campaign just like this was Oblivion itself? Also the Oblivion chevron symbol was designed to be bold but non-descript and secretive in the same way that the Smiler has been designed. Oblivion also had its own minisite which is of course a tradition for all new rides now.

It's pretty well planned and exciting! In fact I feel at a disadvantage for already knowing what the logo relates to before the big reveal.

electricBlll said:
I am right in thinking the first Alton Towers ride that had a viral marketing campaign just like this was Oblivion itself? Also the Oblivion chevron symbol was designed to be bold but non-descript and secretive in the same way that the Smiler has been designed. Oblivion also had its own minisite which is of course a tradition for all new rides now.

That's precisely what they did. They didn't associate the logo/colours with Alton Towers in any way initially. This marketing very much reminds me of the 'old ways' - however Oblivion had queues of up to four hours in its opening year...

Tom said:
... very much reminds me of the 'old ways' - however Oblivion had queues of up to four hours in its opening year...

Slightly off topic - so sorry - but wow! that's nearly 7,000 people in the que! Are we set to expect similar for SW7?

Of course SW7 will boost figures, but an off-peak day I still wouldn't expect more than 20k people, so... fingers crossed, still might get a decent ride-count.

Also, I assume there will be no fastrack, and with an estimated throughput or 1200-1300pph, we should see ques move quite quickly.

smudge said:
Tom said:
... very much reminds me of the 'old ways' - however Oblivion had queues of up to four hours in its opening year...

Slightly off topic - so sorry - but wow! that's nearly 7,000 people in the que! Are we set to expect similar for SW7?

Of course SW7 will boost figures, but an off-peak day I still wouldn't expect more than 20k people, so... fingers crossed, still might get a decent ride-count.

Also, I assume there will be no fastrack, and with an estimated throughput or 1200-1300pph, we should see ques move quite quickly.

Well in 1998 I don't believe they had a capacity set on how many people they let in (or it as much higher than the 28,000 current cap) - but they didn't have Fastrack. My experience was also in the height of summer.

I don't think we are looking at four hour queues for this ride, but 2 hours+ I wouldn't be surprised at on opening day, and other peak days later in the season.

i think for the advert we could have the oblivion advert then when the man says don't look down it goes fuzzy an Dr kelman appears saying you thought that was the only test he laughs then says well you were wrong here is a new test (then switches to a person chained up in front of TV with the smiler logo an the name flashing on and off) Dr kelman could then say stupid fool wouldn't smile he/she will regret not smiling come to Alton towers i promise you will smile (then black out the rides logo pops up then it goes fuzzy again an the next add starts)

Oooh that's University Station! They weren't there yesterday!

:)

hmmm i wonder if there are any on the moor street barriers?? As if im considering a specific trip to birmingham to see .... ;D

On the bottom there's a white strip. Any idea what it says?

Zak said:
On the bottom there's a white strip. Any idea what it says?

Looks like the logo for the advertising company. It looks like <something>media.co.uk.

Not really sure that the Mr Twirly logo alongside someone who looks asleep in a pub next to a bottle of alcohol is the best impression the family friendly Alton Towers Resort want to project :p

Why am I not part of the crack squad putting these up everywhere!!

I love this. Love it, love it, love it.

The logo is fantastic, the marketing simple but using a bombardment technique overall, but in places it will either be obvious or subliminal, yet you will take it in and recognise it.

Yes I still have some doubts about the coaster itself in terms of, being a proper full on SW, it will be ironic if my favourite parts of SW7 are the marketing, the theme & the supporting attractions etc!

Rob said:
Oooh that's University Station! They weren't there yesterday!

:)

OOH AYE!

University Station is a perfect spot for the faces!

Part of me hopes that those signed up to the SW7 mini site would be offered posters to go and put up, almost like "street teams" associated with a number of bands.

I can think of a few brilliant locations to put these up, and would love the opportunity to!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.