• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wouldn't take that game to seriously. Based on the 3 pictures the site already shows its hardly accurate. It'll just be a fun casual game with a few key features thrown in for advertising purposes.

It does however look strikingly familiar in style to that App everyone thought was fan made a while back ;)

How do you know "It's hardly accurate"?

I think it's great that their going to actually show us the ride from an early stage. The drip fed marketing technique was getting beyond boring.

This is, without a doubt, the worst name in the history of theme parks.

It's absolutely meaningless without context and it's absolutely cringey.

Even other gash names like Sub-Terra and ThThirteenTeen sound vaguely scary and convey something meaningful without knowing what the ride is about. You know Sub-Terra is going to be underground, you know ThThirteenTeen is going to be based around bad luck and death and all that stuff. What does Smiler convey without knowing the story?

mikeroller said:

I think it's great that their going to actually show us the ride from an early stage. The drip fed marketing technique was getting beyond boring.
Boring? By far the best campaign done by AT, I'm sad it ended so quickly, at least another week of teasers would of been better.

And I believe that with the right ride, the smiler fits, its a happy name, but hearing "Oh Alton towers has a new ride, the smiler" wouldnt make you think of a kiddies ride, because its got a sinister twist, and with the logo as well, its obvious that this is a scary ride.

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the the GIF in the top right corner of the mini site and the Channel 4 Big Brother Opening Titles?
circleanim-02.gif

Big Brother 7 (UK) Opening Titles

Blaze said:

Even other gash names like Sub-Terra and ThThirteenTeen sound vaguely scary and convey something meaningful without knowing what the ride is about. You know Sub-Terra is going to be underground, you know ThThirteenTeen is going to be based around bad luck and death and all that stuff. What does Smiler convey without knowing the story?

What an over exaggeration.

It conveys that its going to make you Smile. Is that not hard to figure out? With regards to N:ST, I'd say that most of the GP do not know what Sub means, or Terra - to them it's just fancy words. Also, th13teen doesn't lend to the story much does it? An unlucky number. Not a scary name by any means.

The Smiler goes well with the images and media so far, and we have not seen the best of the marketing yet. Not even a commercial. It's simple, and effective, and its ironic in that its a slightly calming name for what is a scary ride. It's perfect in that its beautifully deceiving.

Of course that's your opinion but I can't help feeling that its a tad over the top.

The Smiler. Why Alton/ Merlin? WHY? It is very dull and unimaginative! I dislike it lots!

I'm not a fan of the name, however I am not quick the judge the ride. I'm sure it will be epic and the name goes perfectly with the current marketing.

But in my opinion It doesn't go with the rest of the X Sector, it sounds a bit silly and comedic as opposed to creepy and sinister. It may grow on me, and when I do get a chance to experience the attraction I may find the name to go perfectly with the ride. But one step at a time.

I still love the current marketing scheme and I've loved the logo and idea of "Marmalization" from the start. I just think they could have been a bit more creative rather than just throwing something as bland as "The Smiler" out there.

Maya said:
mikeroller said:

Boring? By far the best campaign done by AT, I'm sad it ended so quickly, at least another week of teasers would of been better.

This one has been alright but for the other coasters when it's just embarrassing media stunts after media stunts it starts to drag on. At the end of the day people want to see what the ride will look like, not the logo.

I know, I know, I'm not too good with paint (especially when rushed for time) but I think you can see what I'm getting at from this...

8402955328_cd05e843a3_b.jpg

?

JayTricky said:
Blaze said:

It conveys that its going to make you Smile. Is that not hard to figure out? With regards to N:ST, I'd say that most of the GP do not know what Sub means, or Terra - to them it's just fancy words. Also, th13teen doesn't lend to the story much does it? An unlucky number. Not a scary name by any means.

The Smiler goes well with the images and media so far, and we have not seen the best of the marketing yet. Not even a commercial. It's simple, and effective, and its ironic in that its a slightly calming name for what is a scary ride. It's perfect in that its beautifully deceiving.

Of course that's your opinion but I can't help feeling that its a tad over the top.
You seriously suggesting most people don't know that 'sub-' means below?

The Smiler fits with the marketing, but that's the problem. It sounds like they haven't tried at all. It doesn't stand up on its own. Nemesis sounds good without knowing why it's called Nemesis. Oblivion sounds good without knowing why it's called Nemesis. The Smiler sounds awful even with the context.

Plus it's got a 'The' in it.

Hate the name, makes Alton towers sound like a cheap travelling fair. Oblivion..... Submission..... X sector..... And.... The Smiler lol. Yeah , fits just as well as Air does next to Nemesis in Forbidden Valley..... At least the The Innoculator would have fitted in with the theme of X Sector......

I wonder if TowersTimes "working closely with Alton Towers" included their own aerial construction images being superseded by official ones taken from the ground.

Blaze said:
JayTricky said:
Blaze said:

You seriously suggesting most people don't know that 'sub-' means below?

The Smiler fits with the marketing, but that's the problem. It sounds like they haven't tried at all. It doesn't stand up on its own. Nemesis sounds good without knowing why it's called Nemesis. Oblivion sounds good without knowing why it's called Nemesis. The Smiler sounds awful even with the context.

Plus it's got a 'The' in it.

I'm suggesting that most don't know what 'sub' means, yes. I possibly could be wrong on that, but I'm sure of it on 'terra'. Going off what I've heard in the queue, and from reactions from friends too. I would even go as far as saying that many of the GP don't think it's 'terra' at all, but 'terror'.

You're entitled to your opinion. The name won't please all and that much is obvious. I'll admit I wasn't sure at first but I've warmed to it.

This is going to be the best ride in the UK, bar none, and I love the fact they've took a different angle with the name. It creates a buzz, it's got us talking, and its got a few people smiling. It's brilliant.

My new idea,The smiler end of ride photo stall will have new tech cameras scanning each individuals face and warping each and everyone's mouth to smile!! Hence the title the smiler! And the sanctuary stating lost your smile?, get corrected, marmalisation. This all makes sense to me, Have I just cracked the new tech on the smiler? World first? With world beating inversions?.... What you guys think?

JayTricky said:
I'm suggesting that most don't know what 'sub' means, yes. I possibly could be wrong on that, but I'm sure of it on 'terra'. Going off what I've heard in the queue, and from reactions from friends too. I would even go as far as saying that many of the GP don't think it's 'terra' at all, but 'terror'.

You're entitled to your opinion. The name won't please all and that much is obvious. I'll admit I wasn't sure at first but I've warmed to it.

This is going to be the best ride in the UK, bar none, and I love the fact they've took a different angle with the name. It creates a buzz, it's got us talking, and its got a few people smiling. It's brilliant.
If people think Terra means terror, that's the point, it's a deliberate pun to convey what the ride is about. It's cringey, but it has a purpose.

Try saying it out loud. "Hey, fancy going Alton Towers in summer, they've got a new ride that looks cool" "oh really? What's it called?" "The Smiler" "Nah mate, it sounds like a kids ride" "No, wait, it's got some relevance to the logo they made for it, they're being all ironic, trust me!"

"Yeah they've got this ride called The Smiler, it goes upside down, like, 14 times and is MASSIVE!"
"Ooh, sounds like a kids ride."

I think not :p

Oh I like this hypothetical stuff.

"Hey mate do you want to go to Alton Towers this Halloween? They have this new scare maze called the Sanctuary"

"Na, doesn't sound very scary mate"

"Yeah but it's purposely named to mislead people into thinking it is doing good and then when you go downstairs, which you are warned about by actors in the queueline, you realise that the Ministry of Joy (a group that are also misleadingly named) aren't as good as they imply they are. This will also form the basis of the backstory for that rollercoaster they're building next year"

"Shipping containers LOL"

"LOL"

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.