• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm still betting that video was official but probably won't be used officially now. Doesn't make sense to go through all the cost (I assume) of producing it for "fun".

It reminded me of the creepy Th13teen girl too much. Glad it's not real.

From a marketing point of view, I love the concept, it's brillaint. It shows off a few different aspects of the ride and definitely has a "wow" factor. The Alton Towers logo with swirls around it in the sky is great!

As for the new mini-site; I've only seen a screenshot of it but it looks good. Hopefully we will see it go live soon, looks like it may have some interesting features. The Lexicon is particularly interesting. Also it looks like the "You Beloong To" thingy Towers relased the other day is going to be "You Belong To #TheSmiler".

:)

I still believe the video is official.

They would not take a video down to 'avoid confusion' - they would simply edit the description (and title) with 'Not official' or something similar. It looks like it's had a bit of good work done to create it, so I highly doubt a designer would take their own work down due to that reason.

In regards to the video, there's no doubts in my eyes that it was made for Towers, you wouldn't just make something like that for fun. Whether or not Towers end up using it though is a different question and something that only time will tell. If it is used I expect slight modifications, in particular to the very end so it includes "#TheSmiler" and the Towers logo at least.

:)

Josh said:
I hope it's official, I quite liked it :)

Same here. I was expecting one of those 'jump out' videos such as the one by The Dungeons, but was delightfully surprised.

The smile was quite something. 10x better than the Thirteen videos.

New emails have just been sent out announcing the rides name and linking to the new site. The word is certainly getting around now. :)

If that video was made for 'fun' then someone has too much time & money on their hands. ;)

I believe it was official, and as others have said, probably wont be used now, but I still hope they do.

smudge said:
If that video was made for 'fun' then someone has too much time & money on their hands.

I believe it was official, and as others have said, probably wont be used now, but I still hope they do.

Sorry for seemingly contradicting myself earlier.

Or someone has a great passion for filming and inspired by Alton Towers/ Sanctuary.

It may very well be official, but if it's not, they way you have phrased that initial statement comes across very hostile to this person. Same way everyone was hostile towards the guy who designed the train concepts, and to some extent the "Poundland" Smiler advert. Creativity isn't something that people do when they have "too much time and money on their hands"

That said, I have a feeling it is official, by the way the video was treated in terms of removal. It may not be now, but I have a feeling it was a concept a rough idea to be pitched or a milestone to show progress on his idea to Alton, would say this by the high quality video, but low quality and lack of information ending.

The videos and the images are all awesome - Needless to say I'm really excited. I think the name is great (like a few of you guys I hated it at first) and I'm kinda glad they are leaving it till May to make sure everything is finished I'm also happy they haven't forgotten about the Spider thing too. :)

Exciting times.

Fredward said:
smudge said:
If that video was made for 'fun' then someone has too much time & money on their hands. ;)

Sorry for seemingly contradicting myself earlier.

Or someone has a great passion for filming and inspired by Alton Towers/ Sanctuary.

It may very well be official, but if it's not, they way you have phrased that initial statement comes across very hostile to this person. Same way everyone was hostile towards the guy who designed the train concepts, and to some extent the "Poundland" Smiler advert. Creativity isn't something that people do when they have "too much time and money on their hands"

That said, I have a feeling it is official, by the way the video was treated in terms of removal. It may not be now, but I have a feeling it was a concept a rough idea to be pitched or a milestone to show progress on his idea to Alton, would say this by the high quality video, but low quality and lack of information ending.

Maybe if I put a smile at the end it wouldn't come across "very hostile to this person." It was meant as a light hearted comment. People say that particular sentence, in jest, very regularly on this forum. Yet you have decided to take it personally for some reason? Did you make the film?

After saying how good the video is in previous posts I think you are being too sensitive taking about how my TEXT came across in a particular way.

I'm sorry if that offended you though. If I was someone who posted regularly being pessimistic & patronizing I could even understand your thinking, but I have always been very positive about this video and any other subjects I have discussed.

Anyway, post fixed for you.

Slightly disappointing news about the delayed opening, but not necessarily a bad thing. It will no doubt be open to it's full potential, 100% complete and brand spanking new. They have plenty of time to finish it off now, do what's needed and unleash this thing to the nation.

I'd hope for an 'official' statement or announcement from Alton Towers themselves and not from just a quote. I expect this over the next day or two.

Whilst I'm here I'd like to share my 'The Smiler' wallpaper. Just for a bit of fun.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/smilerwall.jpg/

Bring on May.

Well the statement was in an official press release, however setting a target that far ahead will be partially to make them look like miracle workers when it's opened in April - it's the oldest trick in the book.

This isn't out of protest or anything, but I won't be visiting until it opens - possibly in half term as I was anyway, but my first main season visit will be delayed because of this and I' sure many people are the same.

It could set a precedent for mid-season openings though if it has no or even a positive effect across the year.

JayTricky said:
Slightly disappointing news about the delayed opening, but not necessarily a bad thing. It will no doubt be open to it's full potential, 100% complete and brand spanking new. They have plenty of time to finish it off now, do what's needed and unleash this thing to the nation.

I'd hope for an 'official' statement or announcement from Alton Towers themselves and not from just a quote. I expect this over the next day or two.

Whilst I'm here I'd like to share my 'The Smiler' wallpaper. Just for a bit of fun.

Bring on May.

Remove the other photos and you have a deal.

JayTricky said:

Bring on May.

Thats now my Desktop background, cheers! Marketing so far has been great, hope they keep it up. Personally, I can see a mid/late April opening.

When you think about it it will have been a systematic failure in every aspect if they don't even manage to get track up by February half-term. It's simply ridiculous when you consider that they began groundwork in removing the Black Hole tent in May 2011 and it will only likely open a full year on!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.