• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Alastair said:
When you think about it it will have been a systematic failure in every aspect if they don't even manage to get track up by February half-term. It's simply ridiculous when you consider that they began groundwork in removing the Black Hole tent in May 2011 and it will only likely open a full year on!
This shows the EXACT reason why they need to go back to a 4 year cycle. 1 1/2 years to plan and 1 1/2 years to build. Ideally they would have plans already created so even longer time to build. Restricting their time was NEVER a good idea, as has been proven here.

The company behind the video we saw yesterday has confirmed that it wasn't official and they took it down to avoid confusion.

Shame, because it was great work.

I'd like it for you all to pay attention to this promotion I've analysed.
TheSmilerPromoAnalysis_zps955ca424.jpg

The section circled in red are most interesting.
As you can see in this promotion they have used OTSR and B&M one's not Gerstlauer.
The spider has now got swirls on it.
And the 4x4 trains look floorless.. :)

Joseph, I wouldn't look into the image *too* much as it is just a concept...

The cars and restraints are just representative of the final result... We obviously won't be seeing B&M trains and restraints on a Gerstlauer coaster and it is unlikely the trains will be floorless too. The concept doesn't need to be accurate as it is just a guide to show what the ride will be like and how the theme will play out. We already knew about the 4x4 configuration too, so it doesn't really reveal much that is new!

It is interesting to see though :)

Joseph said:
It does confirm we will be getting OTSR's though... :(

Not really, they probably googled "looping coaster" and picked the first picture they could find.

Joseph said:
It does confirm we will be getting OTSR's though... :(
It does seem to confirm that - though as it is just a concept, it may not use OTSRs in the finished product.

As for the mini-site, it was briefly discussed earlier in the thread. I doubt The Lexicon would be the name of the Spider as a lexicon is basically a collection of words.

http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler/

its working now..ish

If you look at the game section there seems to be some graphical representations of the ride. The most interesting thing I think is the writing on the wall at the bottom of the vertical lift say "conversion zone". Which makes me believe the ride will be divided into "inoculation" then "conversion" maybe?

The game particularly interests me - as it appears you control of the ride cars as they go round the track.

Just makes me wonder if we find out whats happening before the first lift hill!

^ There's construction photos there! just use the links at the top of the page. There's nothing new there, but pictures haven't been shown before.

rightbackgranty said:
The game particularly interests me - as it appears you control of the ride cars as they go round the track.

More interestingly, it describes it as a "full 3D recreation of the actual ride." Providing that is the case, we'll see what is happening in regards to the spider and the pre-lift hill section before the opening date. Also, the little pictures on the game page seem to show the ride cars:

game-gallery-th-01.jpg

Alastair said:
rightbackgranty said:

More interestingly, it describes it as a "full 3D recreation of the actual ride." Providing that is the case, we'll see what is happening in regards to the spider and the pre-lift hill section before the opening date. Also, the little pictures on the game page seem to show the ride cars:

game-gallery-th-01.jpg

Someone has got to be able to blow that image up for us surely? I'd love the restraints to be that colour, regardless of whether we're getting OTSR/lapbars/floorless trains.

Plus, if the themeing was anything like in that picture before the vertical lift hill, I'd be delighted! Think it's more likely to be in game additions, but we will see!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.