• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I would have also thought if this was an 'official' one, they would have sorted out a profile pic/cover pic before he started tweeting.

If imagine this third account is a geek just trying to get involved, if it was part of the whole thing it would have been made last week along with the other 2 accounts.

I remain sceptical, but I hope my scepticism is proven wrong.

It's very shit viral marketing, combined with poor acting. Can't say it's that impressive unless you're 12 :)

Fredward said:
I would have also thought if this was an 'official' one, they would have sorted out a profile pic/cover pic before he started tweeting.
In all fairness, Twitter (@Support) did mention issues RE image uploading at some point, so it may be an issue for whoever is behind the account to upload a photo.

I am unsure on this one. Did anyone else get the follow email/notification, but Twitter doesn't reflect this action, or just me?

This "viral marketing" stuff is so easy to imitate and easy to produce. There's no way of knowing whether it is official or not. It's a shame really, because a good idea can get undermined by geeks trying to get involved and putting their own rubbish spin on it... Or hoaxes, which give everybody false expectations.

Whether this video is official or not, it's just a bit of fun, it will soon be forgotten and is hardly related to the rollercoaster itself.

Saying that, I do find it quite entertaining! In fact, I agree with Miles' ideas... :twirly: I'd like to enjoy his sanctuary...

Just one thing... why is Dan such an abysmal cameraman? It's the 21st century, yet they couldn't afford a decent camera that doesn't go static and warped every in shot! :p Ah, the joys of excessive editing.

Please can we just have some TV adverts and be done with it! ;)

Maybe I am too cynical, but 600 views of a video on youtube is not 'viral'.

aru said:
Please can we just have some TV adverts and be done with it! ;)

Maybe I am too cynical, but 600 views of a video on youtube is not 'viral'.

Four of those are mine :p

I think this has probably come out a touch earlier than Towers perhaps intended (if it is legit) and caught them unawares. I think we may hear something more official within the next couple of days :)

I'm not sure people understand what viral marketing is to be honest... this isn't viral marketing (yet)

if it goes viral, then it's viral marketing. at the mo, it's just a video! :p

[/pedantic]

Personally I found the video to be cringy, but I salute the effort and idea...

Just as a note, it's common practice for design and advertising agencies to 'pitch' for work. A number of agencies would receive a brief and they would respond to it. Then AT pick the preferred response and give them the contract...

So the video with the girl smiling could merely be a failed response to a pitch.

Also, why would they release the weird one first? (assuming they come from the same source). :twirly:

Ash said:
It's very <censored> viral marketing, combined with poor acting. Can't say it's that impressive unless you're 12 :)
Being the 12 year old, Its impressive.
Infact I love it, the whole idea of suttle hints from "normal" people is great! Its too thought out to be fake, and I hope it carries on slowly building up, eventually going viral!

Fredward said:
that's why I say market it with other means, now a fake news report may not be plausible, but if they could advertise it without connecting it to towers and reach it out to a big audience, then when the story is finally revealed to be advertising the new ride, it will probably work much better and market to people better then Alton Towers just saying "look what we made."

Maybe perhaps make it a Youtube ad?

Actually, I quite like your idea of a fake new article. They've already done it with The Smiler! With the sheep stunt. The same could quite easily be done with this. The Alton Towers references are there within the video, so the general guest could do two and two. It would be a great way in kicking off the video to make it go viral.

Can anyone confirm with a picture that the book in that video is the same as the one that was on a bookshelf somewhere in Alton Towers?

I can remember the exact book but don't have a picture...

The book is not the same..
I have a image, I'll upload in a minute to confirm

imag0491r.jpg

Andrew said:
Can anyone confirm with a picture that the book in that video is the same as the one that was on a bookshelf somewhere in Alton Towers?

The 'Book' at Alton Towers is only a large picture stuck on to the wall, only showing the spines. There isn't a real book.

KingNemesis said:

Is it fairly similar then? I'm sure I remember one.

siralgenon said:
Andrew said:

The 'Book' at Alton Towers is only a large picture stuck on to the wall, only showing the spines. There isn't a real book.

I know it isn't a real book but the spine seems to be of a similar design I think.

Andrew said:
KingNemesis said:

siralgenon said:
Andrew said:

I know it isn't a real book but the spine seems to be of a similar design I think.

imag0491r.jpg

KingNemesis said:
Andrew said:
KingNemesis said:

siralgenon said:
Andrew said:

imag0491r.jpg

Ah right. I knew it had the same font and colour but I thought it said 'Smile Always' for some reason. Thanks for clearing that up anyway. :)

Hmmm interesting! I really like the video and it seems far too good and well thought out to not be real. The ending was very freaky. With just over 1100 views on YouTube at the moment though it's not really gone viral. Assuming it is official it will be interesting to see how Towers take it further in terms of future videos or trying to promote it without directly linking it to Alton Towers.

:)

Some people are missing out on the point of this type of marketing, if they are worried which Twitter accounts are genuine, and which are not.

Not being sure about what's real is part of the impact, if it has an official Alton Towers logo all over it, it ruins the intended effect. If someone is out there making fake accounts, it's just adding more buzz. Your not meant to know if it's official or not, just as long as the "concept" spreads further, the battle has been won. I know the enthusiast community is a small group of people to be creating a buzz amongst, but it does spread further than us.

I show my girlfriend things I find on here, which she then tells her sister. Her sister then tells her friends who are semi-enthusiast... buzz has to start somewhere, so obviously they target it here first, as we are the most receptive audience, with the most chance of passing it on. Whether it's effective or not is another matter, but it's a good effort so far!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.