• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Right. I figured it was probably the same situation as the twitter account fakeout. Someone just trying to get involved? I think creating any unoffical accounts for Miles is sort of spoiling it :/ I'd rather stumble upon something that AT have planted, than keep finding internet trails of false accounts. AT might have a timeline mapped out of things to unfold. Shame.

Would Towers use swear words in the previous tweets though? Such as

Trisha White ‏@Trisha__White 25 Apr
Tweeting with the person in the next room as you as you cant be arsed to get up a walk #priceless

and I've seen the S*** word on there too. I understand the demographic for this would be teens/young adults but would have thought Alton; being a family park etc. would not have let this happen if official? (Thorpe Maybe :p)

Jeez it's only a bit of swearing. It's not like it's going to destroy a child's mind! Plus the demographic is teens + ::)

I also severely doubt that many children will be scouring back through the two Twitter accounts. Aside from those that are enthusiasts of course!

Not the swearing topic all over again. :)

As with my views in the above topic, I don't think it is needed.

Ian

Swearing's swearing. You can't really avoid it these days, I think it just makes the accounts more realistic.

In my opinion... If children young enough to be badly damaged and influenced by swearing have Twitter to even view the accounts, something is already drastically wrong in their lives tbh! The moment you hit secondary school you are instantly exposed to bad language, even at some primary schools I imagine too!

It's just how it goes, it's a fact of life and it's not really too much of a problem it being used, in moderation, on the accounts in my eyes!

e4kenndr said:
Would Towers use swear words in the previous tweets though? Such as

Trisha White ‏@Trisha__White 25 Apr
Tweeting with the person in the next room as you as you cant be arsed to get up a walk #priceless

and I've seen the S*** word on there too. I understand the demographic for this would be teens/young adults but would have thought Alton; being a family park etc. would not have let this happen if official? (Thorpe Maybe :p)

I think Countdown Conundrum here has a point you know ;)

Whether or not you excuse it, this is a family attraction, and it is unprofessional even for marketing of this nature.

Yeah yeah, bring on the yawns, but I do a lot of work for some heavy stuff on Twitter - I only ever swear or allude to it, on my personal accounts, and rarely - wastes f-ing characters for a start!!

Can you lot imagine me, Dr Paragraphs, on Twitter haha? :twirly:

This ride is aimed at the 16-25 age group, as it is classed as a thrill attraction. Therefore swearing is permitted to be used for this age group.

The Twitter account has no direct reference to Alton Towers though and is used in context - another way to accept that swearing can be used.

Even though I disagree with swearing being used. It's used in context and is aimed at those over the age of 16, which, by then in your life you have probably been exposed to a fair amount of swearing.

James said:
This ride is aimed at the 16-25 age group, as it is classed as a thrill attraction. Therefore swearing is permitted to be used for this age group.

The Twitter account has no direct reference to Alton Towers though and is used in context - another way to accept that swearing can be used.

Even though I disagree with swearing being used. It's used in context and is aimed at those over the age of 16, which, by then in your life you have probably been exposed to a fair amount of swearing.

I take the point, but who it is aimed at, and who it actually reaches are two entirely different things, I also think 16 upwards is a bit of a fallacy.

Very young kids are interested in this ride, and frequently do ride the big attractions - what is the difference to hearing someone swearing in situ (for which towers actually threaten to eject you from certain attractions, The Sanctuary being one) and being used for marketing.

No need, cheapens it. I know lots of people on Twitter, literally, dealt with 1000s, but very few actually swear.

I don't buy it, no need for it, and I swear A LOT especially when working in the "lab" ;D - I am by far not an anti-swear person ha-ha! If I was I would be a hypercrite, never mind a hypocrite.

I still say though - absolutely no need.

The 16-25 age group is what Alton Towers aim it at! I've seen their market research for thrill rides! Depressingly Th13teen was also thrown into this age group a few years ago.

As far as marketing and market research is concerned. The main focus group for this is for those between the ages of 16 to 25. Then that group is split into three parts, those who are in high school (the later half obviously), those in university and those starting to work. This is how the thrill seeker market has worked for a very long time.

I'm not saying the swearing is right though. I disagree with it entirely. However from another perspective it does fit into the age group of the marketing Alton Towers are aiming this at.

James said:
The 16-25 age group is what Alton Towers aim it at! I've seen their market research for thrill rides! Depressingly Th13teen was also thrown into this age group a few years ago.

As far as marketing and market research is concerned. The main focus group for this is for those between the ages of 16 to 25. Then that group is split into three parts, those who are in high school (the later half obviously), those in university and those starting to work. This is how the thrill seeker market has worked for a very long time.

Don't get me wrong mate, I am not denying what you are saying, I am saying what they are saying is a fallacy. Also, if it's not a problem, why say people can get thrown out of, what is ultimately a horror maze, for swearing?

Consistency is the issue here. I am not saying you are wrong, but I am saying they are.

TheMan said:
Also, if it's not a problem, why say people can get thrown out of, what is ultimately a horror maze, for swearing?

Blimey, I have no idea how I managed to get through them all then, as every third word I said was a profanity of some description.

Oh eck, what have I started here? :-[ lol

I had no idea of the swearing topic - it may have gone a bit off track for here, just thought it added a bit of lean to the account possibly being fake, as much as I swear and don't have too much of a problem with it usually, I just can't see it being used by quite a well respected company such as Alton Towers

I can't be bothered to write a long post. Marketing and real life are two different things. This is being blown a bit out of proportion. The marketing is aimed at 16-25 year old's and in result, will attract these ages. The way the ride itself will be seen will not be as gruesome or as graphic as advertising will be - and will result in younger people who do not strictly fall within this target market want to ride the ride.

Th13teen's marketing is the best and most obvious example you will have of this. The marketing was dark, gothic and attracted thrill seekers, people over the age of 16. The ride in reality though is not as graphic as the marketing and attracts people of all ages. This is the exact same thing (apart from that this marketing reflects the actual thing).

Swearing is generally not permitted on resort, as after all it is a family resort. The Sanctuary has no strict age limit either, so by all means younger people could go in there.

I think this is getting over the top now though, far too over the top. One or two swear words on a fake Twitter account that's made to reflect the life of a real teenager and has no direct reference to Alton Towers. That's it. I feel like we're talking like Alton Towers have written a Facebook status with "Come ride out f****** brilliant new ride, The Smiler, you are bound to s*** yourselves, probably p*** your pants too". :p

e4kenndr said:
Oh eck, what have I started here? :-[ lol

I had no idea of the swearing topic - it may have gone a bit off track for here, just thought it added a bit of lean to the account possibly being fake, as much as I swear and don't have too much of a problem with it usually, I just can't see it being used by quite a well respected company such as Alton Towers

It is a fair comment mate and slap bang in the middle of the marketing topic.

Dobba said:
Blimey, I have no idea how I managed to get through them all then, as every third word I said was a profanity of some description.

Ha-ha!! You did well to make it every third lol!!

James said:
"Come ride out f****** brilliant new ride, The Smiler, you are bound to s*** yourselves, probably p*** your pants too". :p

Now that is being silly James, they'd never directly quote THORPE PARK like that - come on mate ;)

;D

If it were on Alton's official twitter or offial website they would never swear, but as they are trying to make it look real they are making these characters look like normal everyday students, it does add more authenticity to them that they think nothing of casually adding these "lesser" swear words into their tweets.

Swearing really isn't an issue in 2013. In the next few years I think you will start seeing swearing allowed in daytime TV. They are just words! My 6 year old nephew swears. Apart from this forum, no one cares about this at all. No one probably even noticed.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.