• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Nice marketing, they really need to push on with the main of it now though if it is to open in May. People want to plan their visits in advance and so will want to know a definite date very soon.

After re watching the video several times. I've come to a conclusion that it's highly doubtful that this is fan-made. It's too well thought out, the setting is not amateur (although the acting might be).

I just don't see why anyone would make something and go through that much effort just to fool enthusiasts.

At least the promo that the mischievous Towers Street folk made, anybody could have made it. This is completely different. It's too intricate and detailed to a simple joke towards the enthusiasts.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Was that book in the Box Office or somewhere in the Reosrt? I'm sure I remember it!

I do hope that this is offcial as it is an intriguing story, and the girl seems very similar to the leaked video from a while back!

Exciting times...

Just checked the Dan Holden Twitter account, dont know if anyone saw but a little while back he retweeted someone saying Smile always and taken a picture of there self smiling a day before he started tweeting about the "interview" with Miles Cedars, Almost every single aspect of the account of the person he retweeted was dedicated to smiling, interesting.

Really seems like they're going all out with whats most likely the final bit of marketing for The Smiler :twirly:

Well they haven't tweeted since a couple of days ago now.

So they had better hurry up and start again ;D

Can't remember if it was the same before, but Trish's Twitter now has a smiley face background.

If this is legit, which it seems pretty clearly so, I reckon the next video we'll see is one of the official creepy ones!

:twirly:

And to echo this:
Wonka said:
Almost every single aspect of the account of the person he retweeted was dedicated to smiling, interesting.

I thought the song choices were clever, had a great read through all their tweets last night, started off cleverly RTing a couple of normal things. If you did not know of their apparent connection to this ride, they'd appear completely normal on Twitter.

PMSL at this though ;D

I think the video and twitter accounts will turn out to be legitimate, they look too polished and well made to be fan/enthusiast led. I loved the use of ITHOTMK when they first arrived at the house and the people were outside dancing in the circle.

Viral marketing is one of the strongest tools a company can use to get their products out to a massive audience, if Towers continue to advertise in this way it will be a massive crowd puller :)

LiamC said:
I think the video and twitter accounts will turn out to be legitimate, they look too polished and well made to be fan/enthusiast led. I loved the use of ITHOTMK when they first arrived at the house and the people were outside dancing in the circle.

Viral marketing is one of the strongest tools a company can use to get their products out to a massive audience, if Towers continue to advertise in this way it will be a massive crowd puller :)

Have to agree with all of that especially the bit about the advocates ;D

Stevie said:
After re watching the video several times. I've come to a conclusion that it's highly doubtful that this is fan-made. It's too well thought out, the setting is not amateur (although the acting might be).

I just don't see why anyone would make something and go through that much effort just to fool enthusiasts.

At least the promo that the mischievous Towers Street folk made, anybody could have made it. This is completely different. It's too intricate and detailed to a simple joke towards the enthusiasts.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

could be some of the staff??????? AT use alot of actors. Im guessing they could have done this.

When people are saying the acting is amatuerish, how so?

The story is going that there's two university students about to interview a guy who they're studying. Trish seems quite nervous, but on the outside is calm. Dan is the behind the camera guy just trying to stay quiet. They both do that well. Miles is obviously meant to be a weird guy, and he seems quite strange and a bit awkward. Everything he does is strange and awkward, and not what a normal person would do. Okay, so it's not Hollywood quality, but each role is played so that the characters portray what they're meant to portray. Can't see how that's amatuerish?

Absolutely love the video. Can't wait to see Part 2.. :twirly:

Someone mentioned that Miles Cedars is an anagram of "smile scared".

Its also "sacred smile" which would fit in better with the cult undertones of the video...

Just doing some digging on their respective twitters and "Daniel Holden" has been listening to the following:

‏@Danny_Holden90 27 Apr
Smile - Lilly Allen #NowPlaying

‏@Danny_Holden90 27 Apr
Smile like you mean it - The Killers #NowPlaying

‏@Danny_Holden90 27 Apr
Always - Bon Jovi #nowplaying #classic #tune

@Danny_Holden90 27 Apr
Always where I need to be-The Kooks- gotta love @thekooksmusic #nowplaying

I really think this is far too intricately done to be fan led now. Fapping hell it's excting ;D

Those tapes that Trish put into her bag. What do we reckon the chances are of them being uploaded and we get to see the potentially creepy stuff?

The lead guy makes me think this could just be a film project from some students (albeit very well composed) - but then again the Twitter aspect etc does lend itself to viral marketing! Hmmm. :D

When are we actually going to see some real mainstream advertising? They obviously blew a whole load of the budget earlier in the year on posters and projections leading up to March - it doesn't seem to be building up in the same way for a May opening. :S

I bet they are still waiting on an opening date to be confirmed. ;)

I really enjoyed watching that video, to the point where I wished I made it, and after viewing a few times more, I genuinely believe it's professional to a degree because you can't pull off that sinister attitude elsewhere. What I mean by that is it can stand in as genuine marketing (think of The Swarm news stories) and as an amateur production by students, it's just a matter of it catching onto the public and seeing how it goes if it is official marketing.

And as Dave (Cheese) shows, it's possible that this marketing is establishing the effects of the Ministry of Joy then going backwards to show how Trisha dilapidated alongside, perhaps, Daniel upon meeting Miles and how she ends up becoming an advocate; It's possible this is a genuine marketing story that we as the audience are investigating and interpreting.

From my interpretation, you can give/take a comparison with Nemesis' marketing which implanted an alien that, we believe, was disrupting our society at that time and that we didn't understand. It wasn't just somehow there, it was given a book and a Druid cult with a particular emphasis on its backstory.

That isn't too dissimilar from The Smiler, in which as Miles essentially says 'people have forgotten how to smile; we have become worriers' and essentially concludes that our society doesn't understand how important it is to 'SMILE' then you have the original Sanctuary which acts as a temple just like the Nemesis creature was a temple to the Druids; The Ministry of Joy is genuinely trying to turn society on its head.

That's just my interpretation and understanding of it though, anybody can think otherwise or think nothing at all about it seeing as it is just (plausibly) marketing :)

p.s. No problems with the cast, felt realistic for me.

Couldn't be one of the ents team employed by Alton Towers could he? That may be where people have seen him.

I'm going to be overly cautious about the video because of how well a fan made video did to fool people on the old forum. If its real, then great! If not it was really enjoyable to watch and well done to whoever put it together!

Danny said:
Those tapes that Trish put into her bag. What do we reckon the chances are of them being uploaded and we get to see the potentially creepy stuff?

I reckon there's quite a high chance.

Trish and Danny have tweeted a few things in the past day or two which seem to indirectly relate to the tapes:

Trish on 28/4 (same day as interview):
What did they do to him? I don't wanna see anymore. What has happened today?! Arghhhgg

Danny on 28/4 (no a direct tweet related to the above one, however):
@trisha__white let me know when your ready for another tape I'm intrigued to discover more about Miles! Only when your ready though :) x

and Trish's response:
@Danny_Holden90 maybe in the morning.. but im not sure its the right thing to do.

If the 'campaign' is real (which I think it is), then it would just make sense to tie everything together nicely. :p

I love the ambiguity about the tapes actually. Are they tapes of tests Miles has conducted, or are they tapes of Miles being tested on (so, the Ministry of Joy 'recruited' him, and he's now an advocate attempting to recruit more advocates)?

a few people have asked why does it look amateurish, simply because the Miles seems like he was given a script and has only had a few minutes to learn his part. A couple of times he starts a sentence and then is inflections finish it, and then he remembers the next bit and he adds the end of the sentence. My guess is it is either someone who isn't well versed in acting, i.e. an amateur, or that they were deliberately going for this. But my question is why would they deliberately go for this. The next question is why didn't they just re-shoot that scene. If its an amateur production then this is simple. They didn't re-shoot any of them, they just made it and uploaded it. They probably didn't have a director, just cameraman and people. This also points to an amateur production.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.