• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Spoiler Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We tend to discourage naming staff members on the forums. The senior leadership team are obviously known as they have done bits of PR (Mark is still at the resort) and some of the ents department are happy enough to be known. But people have the right to work without having their name plastered over geek forums.

If they haven't put themselves into the public domain (such as Wardley or Varney) then we tend to avoid naming. Also its off topic.

A few points about some of the things said in this topic:

Throughputs/trains:

For anyone doubting that there are 5 trains, I saw the fifth train in the maintenance shed yesterday, with its restraints still covered in the protective covers. However, I have been told that The Smiler will only ever run 4 trains, and that the fifth will always been in 'maintenance' like Oblivion. That information could be wrong but it did come from the site manager.

In terms of the throughputs, it seems to be varying between 750 and 900pph at the moment. The queue was constantly moving but I would imagine this will change once fastrack is added. Fastracks will need to be strictly limited and priced very highly in my opinion or they could ruin the operations.

Indoor effects:

The dispatch sequence with the smoke and lights is really good. Then the indoor inversion has smoke and strobes. However of my 3 rides yesterday, there was only smoke the first time and on the second and third rides all of the house lights were on. Not impressive at all as you could see all of the very ugly interior, ie concrete and metal frames.

:)

Dave said:
We tend to discourage naming staff members on the forums.

If they haven't put themselves into the public domain (such as Wardley or Varney) then we tend to avoid naming. Also its off topic.

noted, sorry

Yeah doctor kelman seemed to be managing the queue on Sunday, very creepy as he could see I recognised him and gave me a sinister but freindly look, I noticed a lot of people had the same reaction especially if he stood near any of the screens it was obvious for those who paid attention!

Here are some photos I took today of the exit area which is why I have posted them in this spoiler topic:

954781_489444727792643_1670012555_n.jpg

969709_489444731125976_595387629_n.jpg

942160_489444724459310_493592551_n.jpg

10601_489444944459288_1944514082_n.jpg

438_489445021125947_1759992205_n.jpg

7076_489445107792605_354041714_n.jpg

I really wish they would have plastered over those breeze block walls. It would've cost so little and looked so much better.

I'm just worried about how long will it be until those projectors are broke and that corridor is left dark and quite gloomy.

Same with the indoor queue line.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Depends on the coaster, when I was at the Blackpool bash with RCCGB the Big Dipper valleyed and took about 20mins to get back (I say get back...they got the train near the station then left it a few mins and it rolled back again, was quite funny actually :-D)

With a complex ride like the smiler I think it would take all day as it can't be just be pushed. It'll need to be pulled to a high point, then secured in place as it can't run with the crane cable still connected. Once secured and the crane Cable taken off it will be "set free". It's going to be a long and slow process using a crane and cherry pickers.

That is unless it can make it to the brake run with only one "push" which could be possible with the track and wheels warming up in the sun.

Sent from my hand via the not so great iphone 5!

Both TPR and TTF are saying it's unlikely that The Smiler will reopen again today, though I'd still take that with a pinch of salt. But hopefully this will get sorted soon. It only needs to get to the top of the batwing exit and it should be able to make it to the blocks before the second lift. Is it the trims on the hill again, or something else?

This had better not become a regular occurrence with this ride though! :p

If they have to take off the train (which is likely), then it will take a while...

However, I would guess that they will attempt to reopen, even on a reduced capacity...

The Smiler will remain closed today, as per the following Tweet:

Hi Phil, unfortunately due to it's technical problems The Smiler will be remaining closed for today. ^Matt

How long would removing the whole train take then? Good job it's not a big train, but being stuck in the middle of all that track could make this difficult. :p

I know the process is to winch to each high point and release, but considering how time consuming it would be on this ride, would it not be better to secure, remove wheels from chassis, and then crane lift off the track entirely?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.