• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Train Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I can't see how people can keep coming out with the excuse 'Lapbars would scare the public away'. I'm sure if the public ride and enjoy rollercoasters such as Europes tallest and fastest coaster Shambhala, The Big One and G-FORCE then I'm sure they wouldn't run away crying from The Smiler ::)

a little evidence to the theory of if it had lap bars people would be concerned.

quotes from TPR's POV of Bluefire.

Spoiler due to naughty words.

qNyqwnR.png

419e2c1e1b134442b047fa9.png

l7kjWak.png

^left the guys reply for lolz

There seems to be plenty more, but most seem to get deleted. You can work out they are about the restraints due to the replies.

I think I made a post just like this agggggessss ago, with more quotes on either TST or TT before the switch.

But you can get the point!

Enraging as those kinds of ignorant GP comments are (yes I feel superior as a nerd), wasn't Thorpe just over a year ago publicizing how riding The Swarm would leave you a few limbs shorter?!

Although Thorpe and Alton cater to different markets, it makes me doubt that the decision was related to the fears of the GP.

siralgenon said:
I can't see how people can keep coming out with the excuse 'Lapbars would scare the public away'. I'm sure if the public ride and enjoy rollercoasters such as Europes tallest and fastest coaster Shambhala, The Big One and G-FORCE then I'm sure they wouldn't run away crying from The Smiler ::)

Who actually enjoys G-Force?

I can't remember where I read it/talked about it. But perhaps given the tightness of the layout lapbars are not possible. Don't they need a big sort of anchor at the front of the car to make suitable strength lapbars.

If you look at B&M hyper versus floorless. The floorless are capable of much much tighter elements.

I'm not sure if that is the case but regardless the over the shoulder lap bars use the same design as an OTSR, they just don't hold you by the same point. So that design is definitely capable even if T-Bars aren't (although I'm fairly sure they are).

Whatever made them chose OTSR over lap bars wouldn't have been a mechanical reason as many other rides have already proved it's possible. Remember that Blue Fire's final inversion literately tries to throw riders out of the ride and G-Force hangs upside-down for roughly 10 seconds, anything that can withstand that can withstand the worst The Smiler could throw at it. The only dodgy element I see is the last one, which If we are lucky will be up there with Blue Fire's as one of the best inverting ending :D

To be honest I would guess the chose OTSR primarily for through-puts (quicker to check OTSR as you don't have the issue of the main bar creating an obstacle for hosts) and guest perception. People associate OTSR as safe for big rides.

As a kid I refused to go on Thunder Looper as it had lap-bars but I was happy to ride Nemmie. Also OTSR tend to accommodate larger bodies better (the Bluefire ones are okay for broader bodies but Gerst don't offer those).

I just prefer the security of OTSRs. I am very slim and always feel like I'm going to slip out of a lap bar restraint! The ones in the photos I agree do look better, but I still don't think id be happy going upside down so many times with one... My friend refuses to go on any ride that doesn't have OTSRs. We're both non-enthusiasts and just go to the parks once a year but I think our view will be shared by a lot of the general public. Maybe they would be fine, but I know I'd enjoy the ride more not feeling like I have to brace myself in!

Its a scary rollercoaster. If your too scared to ride with lapbars, the ride is too scary for you.
In a country of thrill seekers, every little part that makes it scarier will be talked about more, in a bragging way.
"Omg I just rode the smiler, and it only had them lapbars, it was well scary, you should try"
Not trying to start an argument, this is my opinion

I actually find lap bars (proper ones like blue fire) more secure then OTSR. I'm not to fussed either way because I trust the tech. But with lap bars, the restraint holds you in. With OTSR (with the exception of air and swarm) you aren't making contact with any of it really. It sort of just floats an inch or so around my shoulders and chest. Because you aren't held in, your head does jumble around and make rides seem rougher.

On lap bars, you are held securely around the waist. While the top half feels more exposed you feel more secure as the restraint is holding you. Rather then going around you.

OTSR probably seem more secure as they appear larger and you can see them more.

I like the feeling of insecureness though. So try and get the restraints as loose as posible. ;)

Fredward said:
I actually find lap bars (proper ones like blue fire) more secure then OTSR. I'm not to fussed either way because I trust the tech. But with lap bars, the restraint holds you in. With OTSR (with the exception of air and swarm) you aren't making contact with any of it really. It sort of just floats an inch or so around my shoulders and chest. Because you aren't held in, your head does jumble around and make rides seem rougher.

On lap bars, you are held securely around the waist. While the top half feels more exposed you feel more secure as the restraint is holding you. Rather then going around you.

OTSR probably seem more secure as they appear larger and you can see them more.

I like the feeling of insecureness though. So try and get the restraints as loose as posible. ;)

It's dependent with OTSR's on whether the ride op decides to push it down onto you. In my opinion it's best to have a gap between you and the restraint as that allows for airtime, it always feels horribly uncomfortable when it's pushed all the way down and is tight to your body.

I don't go on rollercoasters to feel safe. Feeling safe is pretty much the opposite of what makes them fun! :)

Alastair said:
It's dependent with OTSR's on whether the ride op decides to push it down onto you.
Unfortunately the H&S morons who come up with the rules for coasters in this country keep telling ride ops to make sure no one can breathe on rides. I've noticed a difinate increase in "stapling" over the last few years.

DiogoJ42 said:
Alastair said:
It's dependent with OTSR's on whether the ride op decides to push it down onto you.
Unfortunately the H&S morons who come up with the rules for coasters in this country keep telling ride ops to make sure no one can breathe on rides. I've noticed a difinate increase in "stapling" over the last few years.

Exactly, a host on Th13teen today pushed down on my mum's lap bar so hard that it smashed her Iphone screen (more than it was) and broke the teeth of the zip on her coat.

But that's a different matter.

Stevie said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Alastair said:

Exactly, a host on Th13teen today pushed down on my mum's lap bar so hard that it smashed her Iphone screen (more than it was) and broke the teeth of the zip on her coat.

But that's a different matter.

Yea but you could sneeze on an iphone and smash the screen....

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.