• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Train Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I do think the trains will be like the ones in the picture below, they're aren't a mash up of different pictures like the ones used for marketing, they have a lot of detail relating to the attraction and dont use restraints from test seats etc.

563079_442379089165283_1219778077_n.jpg

Just going on from what Tim was saying, it's annoying when people refer to promotional artwork as concept art...

Concept art is internal and used to show concepts. Usually accurate, although often not perfect real life constraints can stop concepts from being real. Though final concept art will show what the final product will look like, or atleast what it will mostly look like.

Promotional artwork is used for promotional purposes. So can differ, most rides will have B&M restraints because they use the B&M test seats for photography purposes. Promo artwork does not have to be accurate, as long as it's not lying to you (as that will go against trade standards).

As this new artwork has appeared more recently, and the older image was clearly Oblivion restraints, I tend towards this (new image) being closest to the end product

Also, what rides do Alton have with lap bar test seats to do promotional images from? I could only really see it working with maybe Spinball, but not RMT or 13.

Its also awkward to move or use those seats for a photo op.

I won't be certain either way, but one promo does lean towards lap (though unclear as we only see the rear of the train)

One definitely leans to otsr.

I suppose we have to just wait and see!

Do people really think that a B&M OTSR in a promotional image means anything? The concept art wouldn't be viable to show on promotional images because there's presumably no actual photos of it yet, so they will naturally revert to ones that they already have and have used before. The GP won't care either way, however they almost certainly associate OTSR's with more thrilling rides which I presume is another element they considered.

I wonder why they don't use concept art in marketing more, most other fields do. (Obviously I will mention games because i'm that way inclined! :p )

You will often see refined concept art used as promotional art. So why not? If anything it'll at least shut geeks up as would be more accurate! :p

On an alternative note. Have they hired new 'actors' to play the parts in the promo art? If so where is the job application or is it done internally. Not that I would apply, but it's only just hit me, where they find these people without us finding job application and providing speculation and news!

If you look closely on the last row, right end seat, it seems that theres something coming out of the floor infront of the rider for them to hold onto.. seems a bit odd.

danwhit709 said:
If you look closely on the last row, right end seat, it seems that theres something coming out of the floor infront of the rider for them to hold onto.. seems a bit odd.

Its just the mechanism that holds the restraint to the train by the looks of it

Err.... Why is an unclear little drawing of the coaster car (which is mainly of the back of the vehicle anyway) getting more credence in terms of how the restraints turn out, compared to a close up full view promotional image?

Clearly The Smiler will not use B&M restraints but from the information available to us, I find it hard to see how you could conclude that it will be anything other than OTSR.

Wishful thinking.

I think the point he was trying to make is not that we will definatley be getting OTSR's but why use that on a promotional image if they wouldnt be there at all?

As far as I can tell, that is the most recent art of the cars. They look so bespoke, very much geared towards the attraction and theme.

If you hadn't noticed, there is very little that seemed obvious about this ride that is turning out to be correct other than it will have track, and some inversions, and is made by Gerst. Nothing else is certain, it has been the way the whole ride has panned out.

To show B&M OTSR's in the early art, then very interesting looking lapbars with some strange bits and pieces around it arriving later? If this is OTSR now I will more shocked.

Piecing together, seems like a world beating 14 inversions, mysterious world first, 5 psychological elements (easy to prey upon with lapbars), and lap bars?

Sound like Wardley's swansong for Alton? It's a yes from me.

TEAM EDIT:
This post is the beginning of a split of posts concerning The Smiler's possible restraints. The debate was taken from the Construction topic to allow any discussion to continue here rather than clog up that thread. If some posts and quotes do not make sense, that is why. ~Scott

Inversion record pretty much confirmed then.

I wonder when they will announce it officially?

I am still sticking with it will be lap bars! I still stand by it having a launch also.

Even if there does end up being lap-bars, your prediction will be one based on pure luck, since any logical review of the evidence cannot create a conclusion that there will be.

I'll admit that in a few of the promotional images it does look like they could show lap bars. However it is far from clear or conclusive in these images. The main piece of promotional artwork for The Smiler clearly shows yellow OTSRs, I know they are B&M restraints but they wouldn't show them so clearly if they weren't what we are getting. I'm very confident of OTSRs, unfortunately!

:)

Meat Pie said:
Even if there does end up being lap-bars, your prediction will be one based on pure luck, since any logical review of the evidence cannot create a conclusion that there will be.

Thanks Meat, guess you missed the 3 pages of debate and taking apart of all the evidence myself and a few other members did on here based on images to hand, age, theme, provenance, previous art releases.

Based on evidence to hand, there is far more suggestion of lap bars (until the game came out that is) - it wont be luck, it is an educated and well discussed guess. What I notice in this topic however, is many posts that highlight great information get passed over in peoples rush to post theirs...

Your loss.

What you did was deconstruct a few very vague images, and create an illogical case by making massive assumptions as to fulfill your own prophecy that you wish for.

The only piece of truly legitimate evidence we have is the closeup image in the promo picture showing OTSRs, admittedly B&M ones, which does call it slightly into question, but it is still remains the most conclusive image we have to date.

If we must come to a definitive conclusion, I would side on OTSRs, but I won't rule out the possibility of lap-bars, even though there is no evidence to suggest they should be on the ride. That is the most any of us can do.

Rob said:
I'll admit that in a few of the promotional images it does look like they could show lap bars. However it is far from clear or conclusive in these images. The main piece of promotional artwork for The Smiler clearly shows yellow OTSRs, I know they are B&M restraints but they wouldn't show them so clearly if they weren't what we are getting. I'm very confident of OTSRs, unfortunately!

Well the first one definitely does show lap bars; I don't know why they'd make a properly illustrated image with lap bars if that wasn't the restraint type they intended to have. OTSR on the other hand are the current industry standard for multi-looping ride so it's not out of the question for someone in marketing to use them in a promotion. The restraint type is a fairly minor detail that the general public probably won't even care about (as proved by other rides Merlin have marketed with the wrong restraints) so its possible marketing didn't even know till recently.

But I'll admit that isn't proof hence why I said fairly confident.

willb said:
Blimey, you two (Meat Pie and TheMan) are really trying to outsmart each other tonight....

Not really ha-ha!! Just relaying the fact that it would be a bit more than just luck. Pure luck, implies no skill or reasoning - which is a load of rubbish to be honest lol!!

Can't actually be arsed even debating that point - we didn't toss a coin, we deconstructed released images, then aligned them to previous releases and what turned out to be correct, and a formed an opinion.

Meat assumed I would prefer lap bars - I think it will add greatly to the ride if they do and so hope they do, the only looping coaster with Lap bars I ever have been on though is Thunderlooper so there is no actual guarantee I would like it. Simply I feel it will make the ride stand out and become more intimidating on the whole.

It is more a reflection of what I feel would accentuate the thrill of the experience, rather than that of a perceived personal preference.

We can all do pseudo analysis - Meat is a great lad, I usually enjoy great debates, but on this one I am afraid he dropped the ball lol!

;) :twirly:

As for the car wash brushes though, yes they annoy me in this context along with flip flops, over priced moon rooms, and Simon Cowell ;)

Tim said:
Rob said:

Well the first one definitely does show lap bars; I don't know why they'd make a properly illustrated image with lap bars if that wasn't the restraint type they intended to have. OTSR on the other hand are the current industry standard for multi-looping ride so it's not out of the question for someone in marketing to use them in a promotion. The restraint type is a fairly minor detail that the general public probably won't even care about (as proved by other rides Merlin have marketed with the wrong restraints) so its possible marketing didn't even know till recently.

But I'll admit that isn't proof hence why I said fairly confident.

Also, as I've said before, showing OTSR's on a promotional image will immediately cause the GP to think of a "thrilling ride" as that's what everything in the UK has at the moment. If the promotional image explicitly showed lapbars, I'm not sure many people would assume that meant it will be a multi-looping white knuckle thriller; and first impressions are what will cause people to research further.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.