• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler will not open Meet PART TWO - Saturday 25th May

This is ANNOYING, but I've woken up feeling really rough :(
Got as far as the car, felt sick and gone to lie on my bed until it passes - I've been looking forward to this weekend for ages, so I'll still be there, as soon as I can find the energy to move, so apologies in advance for lateness etc. but right now, rollercoasters are not a pleasant thought, so may be taking it easy on the rides front...

Re: Re: The Smiler will not open Meet PART TWO - Saturday 25th May

spinba11 said:
Ok, would you be able to keep an eye out for me I'm easy to spot

Josh is at Splash now and Im running late and will be meeting people at main entrance at 8:45

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, despite the obvious disappointment, I had another great day today :) Can't remember the last time I laughed so much in one day at a theme park, and far too many memorable moments to list now, since whatever we did today, it's seriously worn me out, though happily as soon as I'd had a couple of coffees and some fresh air, the morning nausea left me alone for the most part :)

Obviously, it was my first major meet on this site, and the amount of people there after we rode Oblivion was a tiny bit scary at first, but after a bit of awkwardness and clinging to people I'd met before, I think I was alright and spoke to a fair few new faces, all of whom I liked, special mention for James who I'd not met before, but who painstakingly spent the entire Sub Terra queue explaining who everybody was to me and attempting to simplify the multiple people with the same name :) If anything, while it was annoying, I think the fact that we were all expecting it meant the Smiler's closure wasn't the end of the world and led to a relaxed, sociable day instead of a long queue and potential disappointment - also means a lot of us have the excuse to try again next weekend if not before :D Alas, I did get quite tired and less talkative (and probably more annoying, sorry about that...) towards the end of the day - I always forget what a tiring park Alton is, and also how BAD I am at goodbyes, which is why I sort of disappeared at the end, wouldn't have minded staying for a drink or two at the hotel, but also wanted to get home and be lazy!

Anyway: silly memorable moments and highlights:
-The weather. Always gets a mention, but one or two degrees warmer and it would have been perfect theme park conditions :)
-Meeting the group easily at the start of the day thanks to Dave, Josh and Alex, also meant I had time for coffee and 'breakfast'
-Learning the unwritten rule of making sure at least THREE people know if you're vanishing to a shop or toilet - otherwise you get left behind! :p
-The Pirate Show. Never thought that would make a highlights list, and I admit I rolled my eyes a bit when we ended up watching it, but it wasn't that bad (all 1Direction aside) and the audience participation and alternative song lyrics from you guys had me in hysterics; advantage of being new is I've not heard it all a hundred times before :)
-Drinking cherry coke and pretending :p
-Lunch with tipsy Rowe, Dave and others (told you I was bad at names, and yeah, I know I owe you £2, sorry about that!!) - and Mr. Quackers. After the cornish pasty debate, I don't think ANY of the conversations at that table made any sense, but it all made me laugh a lot more than it should have done, even the politically correct feminist stuff!
-I WANT TO CHASE A GEESE!...or an avian of some kind! and other such nonsense as we walked to meet the others in KFC-but-not
-Equally deep and meaningless conversations with Sam etc. in KFCbutnot and en route to Nemesis, for a loud shouty man with an endless libido, there's a surprising amount of wisdom in there. In fact, whether he intended it to or not, practically every word had me in stitches - 20% of inversions currently available, and "I'm not an axe murderer! That's why I've never killed John Drake" was particularly memorable.
-Queuing for the rapids was a similar story, as surprisingly convincing couple shots were taken, my glasses were borrowed etc. and then the whole 'ANGELA MERKEL' thing :) Like I said, it'll take a lot more than that to embarass me, you forget where I spent the last 8 years :p
-Trying to play Duel with our eyes shut the whole way round - I still scored nearly 10,000 thanks to the commentary, which was perhaps a little worrying!
-Our group getting WAY too into the sub terra 'evacuation' and all trying to cram into one lift
-Nemesis. Just Nemesis. You could almost hear it growling 'Smiler my ARSE, *I* am the queen of this theme park, and don't you mere irritants be forgetting it!' - would have been a mindblowing final ride, but a few of us lingered for a last, slightly anticlimactic ride on Air.
-The woodland walk is very nice this time of year - I forget what we decided the collective term for forget-me-nots was :)

I've probably forgotten some, but the rest of you can fill in the blanks, because I'm tired. Looking forward to the next trip already (though I'm looking forward to sleep more!) - I have a feeling this season's going to get a lot better :) Guess I'll see you to maybe actually RIDE the Smiler (currently Staffordshire's most expensive white elephant) in the near future :)

I know we joked that Nemesis was going over to The Smiler at night and hiding ride parts so she can remain the only inverting coaster on park (air doesnt invert).

Just wondering when the smiler opening meet part 15 is Likely to happen but 2014 is very long way away #willneveropen

^
from what I can gather, trying again on Saturday, 'circumstances' permitting. Though needless to say, I actually WILL be staying in bed if it's still closed this time :p
Best not be though, as I'm off to Denmark the weekend after.

Re: Re: The Smiler will not open Meet PART TWO - Saturday 25th May

WillG said:
-Trying to play Duel with our eyes shut the whole way round - I still scored nearly 10,000 thanks to the commentary, which was perhaps a little worrying!

If you've never played blind duel before, you haven't lived!

Also 5shot duel.....5 shots allowed!

WillG said:
-Our group getting WAY too into the sub terra 'evacuation' and all trying to cram into one lift
I was in the nearly empty lift and it was very odd to have only 4 other people in with me.