• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theme Park Opening Meet: 16-17 March 2013

Re: NEXT MEET: Theme Park Opening Meet: 16-17 March 2013

Ok, feeling a little better (though I've completely lost my voice now), so I can give my views on the weekend.

The Good

Walk-on Weekend

I cannot remember the last time I was able to walk on a coaster at Towers. Even the quietest day I'd been prior had a wait of at least ten minutes for Nemesis, and twenty for Rita. But I've never seen anythiing like this weekend. With the exception of Th13teen (due to there being only one train running, which was understandable considering the low turnout on park), There were no queues for anything. Even Rita and Air, the two rides which are guarenteed to have you waiting even on a quiet day, were walk-on. Seeing the rides with such few people was a surreal experience, but was pretty great for getting on rides! Although, the weirdest empty ride was Hex, which essentially was a couples special.

Dr Kelman

I'm not good with scaremazes. I have developed quite a bd anxiety problem, which means it's a very bad idea for me to do things where I know something will jump out at me. So going into The Sanctuary made me feel very uncomfortable. But what really impressed me, and makes me feel bad for leaving despite of this, was that Dr Kelman seemed to break character and tried to settle my nerves when he whispered to me that everything is ok. Eventually I couldn't handle it and had to leave, but I'm really thankful that he did that. He's a really lovely guy, and I'm tempted to write a letter to Towers to praise him for what he did as it made me feel much better.

Loads of new faces

Got to meet loads more people today, and spend more time with those I already know. It was great seeing everyone again. I'm sorry if I wasn't too sociable on the Sunday though, as by that point I felt like death.

Splash Landings

I love this hotel! Having never stepped foot in there before, I loved the atmosphere. And the warmth! Great room too, with a pretty good view.

Woodcutters

First time going in there, and loved it. So tasty! The ribs are incredible!

Secret Garden restaurant

Lovely food and great service. The steak I had was perfect. A lovely place to have a first date.

Tom

Yeah...me and Tom made it official on Saturday! Best part of the meet for me!

The Bad

Weird atmosphere

It was great that we could walk on any ride we wanted. But the lack of people on park also gave the place a lack of atmosphere, which is a shame as for me that's half of the Alton experience.

Tonsilitis

I was diagnosed with tonsilitis on Friday, and wasn't sure if I was even able to come. So whilst I felt ok on Saturday (albeit shattered as I barely slept the night before), it got worse and worse as the time went on. A combination of no energy, raw throat and blocked sinuses made me feel awful on Sunday. I would have been much more involved if I didn't feel so rough. If I felt distant to some people, or not as involved, this is why - and I apologise.

Transport mess

By far the lowlight of the weekend. I was hoping on getting the 5:30 bus from Towers to Uttoxeter to get home. Unfortunately, this bus goes the wrong way, and the one to Uttoxeter doesn't arrive at Towers until six. This isn't made clear on the bus schedule whatsoever. Fearing I'd miss my train home, I started to panic and went to guest services for help. They managed to sort me a taxi (eventually), but I didn't feel they handled the situation that well. They didn't have any empathy at all (and due to my bad voice, one of them misgendered me but I was too worked up on simply getting home that I didn't challenge it - but she then also referred to two female colleagues as lads, so it's either the way she speaks or she's an idiot). I managed to get to Stoke station with literal minutes to spare before the train to Euston got in. But I was also £30 lighter.

Ride count (over two days)

Nemesis (x5)
Air (x3)
The Blade
Duel
Runaway Mine Train (x3, two times on the Sunday it went round three times)
Congo River Rapids
Sharkbait Reef (not really a ride, but still)
Sonic Spinball
Enterprise
Submission (first ride of the year)
Hex
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Twirling Toadstool
Ice Age 4D
Rita
Th13teen (x2)

Overall

Brilliant weekend. Despite feeling like death on Sunday, it was fantastic. Can't wait for the next meet.

Hope you are better soon AshleeKel!

I came to the meet ill, found out on Sunday I haf a chest infection :-(

Can't wait to come to more meets!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Pff, I wish I had come along much earlier on Saturday to have met you, Pixie-Ro and any other newbie that I haven't met yet! Hopefully on the next meet, I'll get to meet you all, yes?

I know a lot of people have been requesting the meetup photos from last Saturday and Sunday, so without further ado, here they are! Click on them for larger versions :)

Craig said:
I know a lot of people have been requesting the meetup photos from last Saturday and Sunday, so without further ado, here they are! Click on them for larger versions :)

Brilliant photos from a great weekend, thank you everyone :)

Any chance of the Sharkbait Reef photo cropping up somewhere? :)

Danny said:
Any chance of the Sharkbait Reef photo cropping up somewhere? :)

That one will need scanning in, so might need to wait a little longer for that one :)

Sharkbait Reef Group photo:

SBR170313_595_towerstreet_sign_clean.jpg

Click here to view the image full size :)

Someone could have told me I'd been walking around with a bloody SeaLife sign stuck to my face. Thanks guys!

BigAl said:
Someone could have told me I'd been walking around with a bloody SeaLife sign stuck to my face. Thanks guys!

The first rule of corporate branding is you do not mention the corporate branding