• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

You know what, if I'm honest this looks and sounds like the most boring ride ever. I'd rather Thorpe got something else instead.

Fracking as the central part of the story screams of trying to be edgy and political...

Out of context, it sounds like an awful start... Dark rides do often live or die on the storyline, and that's probably the worst one I've ever heard...

It does amaze me how geeks like to decide a ride is crap from one paragraph of a report of the ride aimed at tech geeks.

Nothing in that article is indicative of the quality of the attraction, the description of the story is to vague to suggest how engrossing it is and they state they didn't get the whole experience.

personally I'm not holding my breath on its quality but I'm also not going to hate it before a single guest has ridden!

Hating Merlin for the sake of it is getting dull now, it's not like they don't screw up enough without us having to clutch at straws to do so.

I dont see multiple trains for this - and given the train is nearly the length of the building, it would be impossible for it to exit while another comes in its place. Reading that review on the previous page makes me feel that the chains will be connected to motors which will pull the carriage in different directions to create a moving/out of control/crashing feeling. I can see it would spin in any way as the chains are attached and there is no central pillar attached to the carriage. Also, there are no restraints as such, just that yellow bar which snaps down infront of you as you sit facing each other....

This thing is going to have some horrendous queues!

It does amaze me how geeks like to decide a ride is crap from one paragraph of a report of the ride aimed at tech geeks.

Except I'm not though. I'm deciding the ride is crap because it sounds like a glorified simulator when I was expecting a proper dark ride and not something with sitting in a train carriage holding a Samsung Galaxy in front of my face. I can do that on my way to the park.

Last edited:
He has a point though. Enthusiasts do tend to be very pessimistic when it comes to new investments and completely negate the target market of parks - the general public.

He has a point though. Enthusiasts do tend to be very pessimistic when it comes to new investments and completely negate the target market of parks - the general public.

I get the feeling the general public will not think highly of this ride either. I don't know anyone outside of the community who thinks "yeah, that new Derren Brown ride at Thorpe Park sounds great, when are we going?".

I get the feeling the general public will not think highly of this ride either. I don't know anyone outside of the community who thinks "yeah, that new Derren Brown ride at Thorpe Park sounds great, when are we going?".

Again, that's your opinion which automatically assumes the views of the general public. Derren Brown is extremely popular which will no doubt fuel the hype train. This is a new area he's branched out to and his shows create such a stir, I have a feeling this will bring people through the gate out of sheer curiosity. The only thing that can ruin this ride is if it's rubbish.

Again, that's your opinion which automatically assumes the views of the general public. Derren Brown is extremely popular which will no doubt fuel the hype train. This is a new area he's branched out to and his shows create such a stir, I have a feeling this will bring people through the gate out of sheer curiosity. The only thing that can ruin this ride is if it's rubbish.

No disrespect to Derren Brown, but he really does not have that appeal when it comes to Theme Park IPs as most others do. We all know the real reason he's even associated with the ride was because Thorpe were so desperate to find an IP to market their new attraction. And it's happened for the third year in a row.

Also it's great how you've missed my point how the ride mechanics, not the IP, sound crap and unappealing. Even if Derren Brown wasn't associated with it I'd still have the same point.

Last edited:
I prefer to try a ride before giving an opinion on it. Especially one that's a new concept like this. :)
Except there's a thing called "First impressions" :rolleyes: I'm really looking forward to riding Wildfire in July and on first impressions it looks amazing. Oh wait no according to you I can't have an opinion on it until I've ridden.

It was my opinion that JW had only made a few impressive rides Ted. But you disagreed with that.

Just saying :)

Reactions: D4n
It was my opinion that JW had only made a few impressive rides Ted. But you disagreed with that.

Just saying :)

To be fair you are rather in the minority of that, and quite frankly it's a brave thing to say :p

I have no issues with people looking forward to this ride. Fair play, each to their own and what not. It's just I hate when it people play the "enthusiasts moan about everything card" to people who aren't. It doesn't appeal to me and stated my reasons for it, and that's that.

I have an opinion and won't change that to bum sniff :)

A lot of bum sniffing goes on and hails him as a god.

If you want to say that hex, haunted house, colossus, air, runaway mine train, bubbleworks, and all his rides at other parks (porta for example) were not impressive, then that's your opinion, but on a theme park forum people are likely to disagree.

And I agree with ted, the first impressions of this ride are poor. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've ridden it, but to those complaining about our perception of DBGT at this time, tell me that the plans for sw8 look good, or that you weren't sceptical about Galacticas use of VR. It fine to have initial opinions on a ride that hasn't opened yet, provided that you keep an open mind when it finally opens.

Reactions: Ted
That's my point exactly Leah everything is subjective and a personal preference.

And just for the record... All the rides you mentioned above bar Hex I think are very average at best.

Did you get to ride haunted house? Or was it duel?

We could go back and forth until the cows come home (or the thing opens!) on this. Yes people have different opinions, and I can understand both sides of the argument. I think it's fair enough to critique aspects of the ride which are known/have been revealed, but can see people's points in writing the whole thing off without experiencing the finished article. I think without setting the whole argument off again, that's what people are getting at.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a debate about the wider opinions of posters, and stick to the attraction itself please :)

Of all the ride types out there dark rides are probably the hardest to judge before they’ve opened. I’d love to see a British park add an animatronic extravaganza with state of the art effects, but this is doing something different and adding something the UK hasn’t currently got. I was always quite sceptical about simulators until I went to Orlando and rode some of the ones over there. Particularly some of the ones at Universals.

I can’t wait to ride it.