• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

This move seems like desperation. If this is the best Thorpe Park can do then they've completely lost the plot.

Is Angry Birds really that big of a deal that the UK needs two different theme parks to have their own areas?

Re: Thorpe Park

I have nothing to say on this matter that cannot be articulated via the medium of farts.

AshleeKel said:
Is Angry Birds really that big of a deal that the UK needs two different theme parks to have their own areas?

Thorpe will be the 3rd UK theme park to get it, after Sundown Adventureland, Lightwater Valley.

Really not sure about this myself. :S

Ok this is slightly ridiculous, is almost pooped myself laughing when it became LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, but this is just taking it to the extreme. ::) I mean, their hotel is a shipping container mountain, this is mad. This is defeating the idea of a resort theme park, a resort is a place where everybody should feel happy, at thorpe there is the carousel and neptunes beach for tiny tots and thats it, even this dodgems won't help, Thorpe is a thrill seeker's paradise, not a relaxed, calm and safe environment, no doubt about it. :S

In terms of this Detonator re-theme, are they taking the mick? They are striping one of the most confused lands of one of the only rides that makes sense? Also, this is going to be a tiny land, it's already nearly impossible to distinguish Amity Cove from Calypso Quay, its just a constant row of shops and restaurants. Time Voyagers was practically in Calypso Quay anyway! There is no way this land will be immersive at all, not a hope. :mad:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not (I've just flicked through the topic) but Detonator is also getting a re-theme for next year. Nothing to do with Angry Birds as far as I know. ;)

Andrew said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not (I've just flicked through the topic) but Detonator is also getting a re-theme for next year. Nothing to do with Angry Birds as far as I know. ;)
It was in the original Press Release that pluk posted this morning. It's included in the Angry Birds retheme. :p

Dean said:
It's opening in May, so it must be running behind... ;)

2014 is the year to open new things in May...

I think they have realised that doing construction during December/January isn't possible with the cold weather. The recent storms would slow down any construction if they have started.

IanB said:
Sighs. Just when you thought it could not get any worse.

There is nothing wrong with having Thrope, CWOA, and Legoland all target different age ranges, with a small cross over, but this latest change of direction, seems to be a clear attempt to target guests who might of thought about visiting CWOA instead.

The worst thing is, if this is successful, and pulls in a big crowd, what incentive is there for Merlin to spend big on Coaster like the Swarm :(

Ian

I don't think they are still going after the same market as CWoA. CWoA is aiming for world/continents and animals and broadly for familes with Chridren under 10. Thorpe is going for thirll rides with a few others for families with Children over 10 and young adults.

Apparently the Swarm didn't bring in the big crowds anyway, hence them trying something else.

jon81uk said:
Dean said:
It's opening in May, so it must be running behind... ;)

2014 is the year to open new things in May...

I think they have realised that doing construction during December/January isn't possible with the cold weather. The recent storms would slow down any construction if they have started.

There's no reason why any park in the UK can put rides up and do rethemes over December and January though. Rides have been built throughout the UK and across the world during these months for decades.

If parks in the US can build giant inverted coasters and huge wooden coasters in temperatures below -30 where they have to constantly hack and torch ice off the footers to continue construction, and do it all with a foot of snow and poor visibility, there's no reason why UK parks can't work at this time.

This is opening in May as well? Urgh, looks like The Smiler's delays have made Merlin think opening in May is a good idea.

:)

Rob said:
This is opening in May as well? Urgh, looks like The Smiler's delays have made Merlin think opening in May is a good idea.

I can understand Ceebeebies land opening in May "just in case". But at Thorpe, Merlin seem to keep a good record of opening things in March. Saw, Saw Alive, Storm Surge, Swarm (and it's backwards modification) all opened in March. As Dan said, this could due to last minute plans. Which I think is nearly as bad as massive delays.

Rob said:

Thing is i think opening in May works for the parks... As they get repeat visits.

I'm just confused as to why they are using an IP 2 other UK parks have when merlin always want unique... LWV social media will have a field day with this.

I don't think it does get that many repeat visits. Towers was dead before The Smiler was open. The park would have been a lot busier between March and the end of May had The Smiler been open. I'm sure plenty of people just saved their trips. Sure some people will have gone twice but chances are these people might have done so regardless.

I also think this is very last minute.

When I suggested they needed to re-think their marketing, this was not what I had in mind!

To be honest, this seems like it'll benefit the creators of Angry Birds more than it will Thorpe Park. Maybe they got the deal for free as a result?

Yeah I was just about to post about that. There is a fair amount of negative reaction to this on Facebook, so it is not just us that have concerns. I really don't see this IP attracting masses of people.