• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I'd look decent if it looked more like a shark instead of just random scrap plunked together resembling a shark.

On one hand i'm not overly impressed with the shark thing.

On the other hand at least it will look less like a prison camp than the crash pad did.

I think a shark fits with a general lakeside aquatic theme and it could look quite cool if it tuns out like that concept, at least it will compliment the rough and ready look of the corrugated metal shipping containers.

Would rather they built a proper themed hotel though, like they said they would nearly a decade ago.

:)

If this Shark structure and the resulting 'Fins Bar' turn out to be the entrance to the hotel, I predict another inconsistency between name and style; 'The Waterfront Hotel' conjures up images of clean cut marinas and leafy broadwalks. Whilst a conglomeration of shipping containers could never live up to the romanticised image the name may portray; it would have been easy to have gone minimalistic with a slight nautical theme.

But, in the latest concept art we see a design which is highly styled and - if it turns out as planned - visually intriguing. The use of scrap metal and hobbled together junk implies (to me at least) a community shipwrecked, marooned, and forced to survive on what little they were left with. Think Lost, Castaway, Swiss Family Robinson. It almost gives backstory to why they're sleeping in shipping containers (not that Merlin need excuse), and becomes far more intriguing than 'just another hotel'. You enter a situation, immersed in story and begin adventure. It reminds me, partly, of the welcome area at the 'Dark Harbor' event in California (only slightly less grim):
DSCN1477.jpg

qm.jpg
They are the clearest photos I could find. But give the idea.​

Yes, yes, yes this may all seem very arty farty, away with the fairies, out of touch with reality- however, it highlights just how exciting you can make over night accommodation. To me, the idea of sitting round a camp fire, strings of fairy lights above me, sat on driftwood and enjoying a drink from the bar is really appealing. Absorbed in the theme of the place. Maybe, come March, this will be the case. But why, oh why call it 'The Waterfront Hotel'?!

There seems to be a myth confronting Merlin at the moment and that's that families like neutral. Families like sensible. Families like familiar. And maybe, in some cases that's true. But places like Europa Park have created hotels rich in detail and story, UK parks used to be able to - look at ATH or Splash Landings when they first opened - they were exciting places to be! Recent additions such as the Legoland Hotel may have strong themes on the inside but even then they lack depth and from the outside the hotel looks as dull as dishwater.

Even recent forays into kids areas have yielded sub par results (with some notable exceptions, and Cbeebies land looks like its heading in the right direction), but we've seen an obsession with IPs - how are kids suppose to develop imaginations if the places they go for adventure are thoroughly unimaginative? I remember riding Bubbleworks over and over again, looking for all the details embedded in the scenery, or spending hours creating stories staring the Thorpe Park Rangers. Places which used to be the catalyst for ideas have now become the slops bucket for other people's properties, its impossible to have a day escaping reality if round every bend there's an advert from TV or a character from the iTunes Store.

As has been suggested previously in this topic, Thorpe have decided to change their tact and try and be more inclusive of the family market (a thing which geek world has been wanting for years) but they've gone about it in a, seemingly, knee jerk way.

This post has become far too long, and gone off topic more times than a nun sits on a cucumber. But, the news Thorpe have released over the past week show that we seem to live in a time when the parks don't really know how to define 'family entertainment', or how to integrate rides for differing tastes into one themed area, and I really hope it isn't too detrimental.

KingNemesis said:
You know.. It easily fit's with Amity Cove... Oh wait... Half of it is being butchered for Angry Birds...

Could be a joke.. We are Scrap(ping) Amity Cove ;)

I don't think it is affecting the theme of Amity Cove. That central road has always been pirate themed with Pirates 4D and the cannonball marks on the wall behind detonator.
See https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/? ... 64608,,0,0

And why not have a shark themed bar for the Crash Pad? Fits in to he waterside theme of most of Thorpe Park and is more interesting than just a shipping container!

Looks alright, but still the obsession with destruction! Definitely not a beautiful as Ma Garrita or Zafari but better than having no facilities at all.

Talking of which, that's what frustrates me so much. At Alton Tower's or Chessington's hotel(s) in theory you can stay in the hotel the whole time and not even visit the attractions and still enjoy your self which is what makes them resorts. However, at Thorpe Park THORPE PARK Resort the "Waterfront Hotel" is just and bunch of rooms, you have to walk from your room at the "hotel" to the dome in order to eat. At least they're adding something but there isnt a proper lounging area, no swimming facilities and nothing to keep it open all year round. :mad:

If you ask me it's a total waste even building a "hotel". It shocks me that they have the nerve to call it a resort, hell, Chessington didn't call themselves a resort until three years after they opened a proper hotel with 150 rooms, a bar, restaurant, swimming pool and a zoo thats open 365 days, keeping it open all year round. Thorpe are signing their own death wish with the public and us! :mad:

AstroDan said:
It's nothing to do with the Swarm.

The reason Thorpe are suffering is due to the period 2007-2011, when guests were taken, quite literally, for a ride and families became alienated by the decisions made and the marketing.

I both agree and disagree here, a good ride will generally attract visitors along in the first season, look at the situation surrounding The Smiler, people still came in droves regardless of complaints everywhere.

It just never really created any hype, any real excitement or buzz.

Agree with everything else though, I love some of the rides at Thorpe but you always go wondering if you are actually going to get lucky and have a good day - where as Towers, usually, you can bank on average to good, with only occasional real bad ones.

BenBowser said:
If you ask me it's a total waste even building a "hotel". It shocks me that they have the nerve to call it a resort, hell, Chessington didn't call themselves a resort until three years after they opened a proper hotel with 150 rooms, a bar, restaurant, swimming pool and a zoo thats open 365 days, keeping it open all year round. Thorpe are signing their own death wish with the public and enthusiasts.

I guess its unfair to say that till we find out this time next year if Thorpe have any plans to open over the winter period.

simps100 said:
BenBowser said:
If you ask me it's a total waste even building a "hotel". It shocks me that they have the nerve to call it a resort, hell, Chessington didn't call themselves a resort until three years after they opened a proper hotel with 150 rooms, a bar, restaurant, swimming pool and a zoo thats open 365 days, keeping it open all year round. Thorpe are signing their own death wish with the public and enthusiasts.

I guess its unfair to say that till we find out this time next year if Thorpe have any plans to open over the winter period.
If will be open please tell me what guests will do on their winter stay? Will they stay in their room for the whole 48 hours? Will they stand in the bar the entire trip? Will they drawl over the closed theme park? Or will they simply visit the non existent waterpark or zoo?

Yeah, you're right it's not fair to judge them until then. I'm sorry but there is literally nothing to do there other than the theme park. Excuse my rudeness, it is not targeted at you, I just simply despise Thorpe at the moment. Sorry :-[

THORPE PARK Resort have also posted this on Facebook (notice Facebook don't feel the need to capitalise their name):

1518116_10152135279160867_1602165640_n.jpg

Rob said:
THORPE PARK Resort have also posted this on Facebook (notice Facebook don't feel the need to capitalise their name):

1518116_10152135279160867_1602165640_n.jpg

Well that's an improvement, but a helter skelter is hardly gonna pull the crowds. This still doesn't give a reason on open for winter

Their desperate!

This was also posted on the Facebook page:

166090_10152135279445867_1973862968_n.jpg

Although it has been removed from the page for some reason.

I'm gonna be the only one here but, I think this is quite a good idea and it's quite unique to this country.

However, I'm still expecting this to be laughable.

I think the Pier concept (assuming these are various ideas for the hotel structure alone) is easily the best option of the ones so far...

Can add the ship as a entertainment/food area and boom, sorted...

See Merlin, you can do good concepts, you just need to build them...

BenBowser said:
simps100 said:
BenBowser said:

If will be open please tell me what guests will do on their winter stay. Will they stay in their room for the whole 48 hours? Will they stand in the bar the entire trip? Will they drawl over the closed theme park? Or will they simply visit the non existent waterpark or zoo?

Yeah your right it's not fair to judge them until then. I'm sorry but there is literally nothing to do there other than the theme park. Excuse my rudeness, I just simply despise thorpe at the mo.

Well without them telling us we won't know will we?

Open a couple of rides and throw some sort of show and it would be a decent day out (price dependant)

There not just going to open the hotel with nothing for guests to do.

It's an interesting concept which I hope they can pull off. To be honest, this is only the beginning of the project so they are hardly going to have a huge thing to start off with such as a hotel with a waterpark etc. But let's not start slating them when they are obviously trying to gauge interest by posting these on Facebook. Certainly if I was a part of this project, one thing I would do is try to gauge interest from the public to see if this is something they want via social media.

Ben, I think you are being a bit too harsh on Thorpe with regard to this.

simps100 said:
Well without them telling us we won't know will we?

Open a couple of rides and throw some sort of show and it would be a decent day out (price dependant)

There not just going to open the hotel with nothing for guests to do.

Ah yes, because the last time they tried to open rides in cold weather it worked perfectly...

I guess it would depend on the event TBH, if rides were not the only thing to do they could open a couple of the flats near the entrance , maybe even Angry Birds land? All them would work in the cold!

The point I'm trying to make is id be surprised if they've just called them selves a resort with no plans to make the park into a year round resort kind of thing.