• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

AstroDan said:
It confuses me how TP can afford to open later, when AT does better with guests.

Costs I guess...

Costs and i imagine locals have a say too, i think thorpe can open till 11:30 every night if they wanted to apart from Sundays which is 11 which is why they can get away with Summer Nights which will return this season from the middle of July every weekend till the end of August - I expect Towers would struggle to get permission to do that.

Benzin said:

So the Dodgems are going where some of the pay to play games are and other games are moving (like loony ladders) and all the new entrance signs will slightly go into the Amity area (the main sign is on the corner of KFC. BUT if all the surrounding buildings are repainted away from the Amity theme (so that the front of KFC is Amity but the side is clearly Angry Birds) then the area should look good!

Yeah, a lot of this development is a bit crap, but on the plus side, a new family ride at Thorpe is what people have been crying out for for years. It should at least give the place a little bitta souul! :)

So basically Amity is going to be split up by this Angry Birds area?

If this is so called 'investment', then it is is pitiful. Last year a bunch of corrugated boxes and a budget retheme and this year some dodgems with a crappy IP stuck on top and a new film for the cinema...

Hardly inspiring is it?

When Thorpe stated they were going to start reinstating themed areas, I didn't think they'd start by intercepting one of their most coherent.

Cakey said:
Unless I'm reading the plans wrong; do these additions now separate Stealth from the rest of Amity Cove?

Stealth has always been separate from the rest of Amity. When the park maps used to show the areas, the fish and chips, pirates 4D and storm in a tea cup were always Calypso Quay.

See the map at http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/images/archive/map2006.jpg which slows the blue Amity border stop, change to the red Calypso Quay border then restart blue for Amity at Stealth.

jon81uk said:
See the map at http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/images/archive/map2006.jpg which slows the blue Amity border stop, change to the red Calypso Quay border then restart blue for Amity at Stealth.

I stand corrected! Although, it has to be said that the transition wasn't particularly apparent; the music continued throughout, and the paving style/atmosphere was concurrent. It's going to be far more noticeable having to pass through two fibreglass structures! :p

Although since they stopped putting the area names on the maps around 2007 they have sort of merged together that bit of Amity and Calypso Quay.

jon81uk said:
Although since they stopped putting the area names on the maps around 2007 they have sort of merged together that bit of Amity and Calypso Quay.
I know what you mean, that area feels like a rougher Main Street U.S.A has met Pirates of the Caribbean. In not sure whether the Pirate theme is part of Amity Cove or Calypso Quay. Storm in a Teacup is next to Rumba Rapids but themed to Amity Cove!!

I gave up trying to understand Thorpe's areas long ago. It just seems like they tried to fit too many into such a small space, that many areas just became redundant and overlapped. The border between Amity Cove and Calypso Quay have always been rather hazy if you ask me, and then you've got attractions like Storm in a Teacup and Rubma Rapids, just to really jam a spanner in the works! :p

There's no reason they couldn't try to make those two areas work together, which could have made up for the iffy transition (Maybe something like a volcano rose from under the sea (Ninferno), which caused the tidal wave which flooded Amity). Unfortunately, even if this was the intention, it was never really exploited. Shame really, as Amity has some fantastic theming work.

Once upon a time, Thorpe had areas around the park which then disappeared so I assumed they scrapped that idea and just merged the whole park. :p

We may well bicker and moan about Alton Towers.

But I sure to hell am glad it's not been getting the Thorpe Park treatment these past few years.

What, you mean the longer hours, good social media interaction and multiple events? Yeah, how crap would that be if Towers had such things...

*Investment wise though, yeah, Thorpe are rather uninspiring...

Benzin said:
What, you mean the longer hours, good social media interaction and multiple events? Yeah, how crap would that be if Towers had such things...

Multiple events?

They scrapped their fireworks?

Their scare event is usually rated worse than Scarefest

Club nights are lovely but not an event.

The only extra event they have of worth is their summer nights thing.

The Sun Scream event in the Summer isnt bad - i do think the park could do with opening abit later than 7 to take full advantage of this, of course summer nights as you said to will be back for a much longer period this time too.

For all of thorpes cons - things like open times, customer service (especially on-line) and even ride reliability (apart from Slammer)- Thorpe are not as bad as made out IMO.

Dave said:
Benzin said:

Multiple events?

They scrapped their fireworks?

Their scare event is usually rated worse than Scarefest

Club nights are lovely but not an event.

The only extra event they have of worth is their summer nights thing.

How are the club nights not an event? Because they're out of park hours?

Thorpe these days tend to have stuff like Sun Scream as just mentioned, Easter holidays get stuff as well usually, the sort of things Towers had (Chocolate Towers) but don't do anymore...

Couldn't care less about Fright Nights though, mainly because they are generally poor events beyond having mazes... That being said Scarefest isn't much better as an overall event, and only tends to be agreed as better because it does other things for people not interested in mazes (even if it's literally kid's stuff)...

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring such an event back though, what with the family driven focus atm... It was always daft they removed it in the first place...

It's rare for me to actually defend Thorpe, but they are improving their event line-up over the course of the year... Towers needs more than Scarefest and Fireworks...

Alton Towers, Thorpe, Chessington, Legoland... all of them lack one thing or another. All the Merlin parks seem all over the place to be honest.