• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

^Definitely true, every park seems to have flaws that just don't get dealt with...

In regards to Towers' events, the concerts are a good one (kinda raising this point before someone else does), but they need regular events that take place over the busy holiday periods rather than a big one off expensive event...

I agree with Towers events. Sure, you have Scarefest and Fireworks - although everything happens at the end of the year. They need one big summer event or dare I say it, an Easter event.

When it comes to the summer they could easily trial a weekend event throughout July and August (or just August). Put a stunt show on the lake twice every weekend, extend closing until 7 or 8pm and throw in some other forms of entertainment. It's quite sad the UKs leading theme park does bugger all. Even Oakwood does a pretty amazing summer event each year!

Sadly like everything else in Merlin parks it comes down to lack of money and the parks struggle to make do with what they have - let alone have funds for new events.

Benzin said:
^Definitely true, every park seems to have flaws that just don't get dealt with...

In regards to Towers' events, the concerts are a good one (kinda raising this point before someone else does), but they need regular events that take place over the busy holiday periods rather than a big one off expensive event...

But the summer holidays would be busy anyway so there is no incentive for them to put on other events. Unlike the club nights (Thorpe) and concerts (Towers) where they can charge an additional fee for it.

It's a complete myth summer holidays are busy - they're dead, every single year, until the last week or two.

Scarefest is their busiest time period. So it is daft they don't do any sort of incentive and proper capitalise on it to get people in. I really think they need to go down a blackpool "in your face" route in terms of "Open until xxpm!" and special rate things as well as events to bring people in.

thefatone said:
It's a complete myth summer holidays are busy - they're dead, every single year, until the last week or two.

Scarefest is their busiest time period. So it is daft they don't do any sort of incentive and proper capitalise on it to get people in. I really think they need to go down a blackpool "in your face" route in terms of "Open until xxpm!" and special rate things as well as events to bring people in.

Thorpe did this back in 2006 when Stealth opened - it was open till 10PM throughout of all of august, problem was after 7/8pm the park was deserted. Summer Nights seem to work because they are advertised as no queues and a extra paid addon so I guess the park can afford to run these easier than just longer open hours.

I'm sure if Towers offered some form of summer event they would be sure to have an increase in visitors!

They play it far too safe at the moment. Scarefest is busy - although something in the summer could result in busy weekends during July/August! If they threw in an offer that you pay £X for a return ticket to Scarefest including maze tickets that could also help with guests returning too.

I guess the problem Alton Towers has is that there is not enough hotel capacity at the park or in the surrounding area that enough people will stop late, although this is sort of disproved by Scarefest I guess.

I think Towers is only a 1 day park as well, especially if the park is opening from 10am to 7-9pm. After spending a day on the park, there is not a lot else to do.

At Thrope, even though that is a 1 day park, there is still Legoland and CWOA in driving distance, and London itself, so plenty to do the following day.

Merlin is to short term focused, the first year of an event is always going to cost more, and be less successful than following years, as you have initial costs to start it, and no good word of mouth about the event. The following year, the budget can be kept the same, so allow further expansion of the event, and more people will attend due to the word of mouth.

Sadly, Merlin seems to think events can be successful year after year with reduced budgets, which only leads to the opposite effect.

Ian

The Angry Bird entrances look like a "please do not climb" lawsuit/natural selection process waiting to happen!

(Personally I don't understand why they are using such an outdated IP. Is it 'cheaper' the more outdated it gets? Also, isn't there already an Angry Birds area at another park somewhere?)

There are two other Grumpy Pigeon areas in the UK, at Lightwater Valley and Sundown Adventure Park. Hardly the "unique" angle that Merlin usually go for.

Angry Birds has to be the most tired, boring franchise they could have chosen. Who even decided that it's worth a penny spent on this outdated and frankly awful IP?

Not sure why people keep saying its outdated - its probably still one of the most played games on Smartphones and has a movie coming out in the next couple of years. Granted its not the biggest thing in the world but i think the interest is still there.

I'm gonna say it now, but a film about birds that don't actually speak proper dialogue for 90 minutes is going to be one of the worst kids films ever created...

The crap that gets called a 'kids film' these days is just ridiculous... Apart from the Lego Movie... That's allowed...

simps100 said:
Oh im not saying it will be a great film! But im sure its target audience will like it still!

As in kids...

As in the same target audience who'll be unable to ride one of the rides in the Angry Birds themed area...

Varney's obsessive nature on USPs is hurting the parks a lot...

I'm still not entirely sure what the USP of this is. Is it the 4D? Because there's already plenty of Angry Birds crap in other parks...

On the subject of the 4D though, do we think it will be a 'proper' one with moving seats or will it be another Ice Age job?

Scott said:
On the subject of the 4D though, do we think it will be a 'proper' one with moving seats or will it be another Ice Age job?

Well, they've presumably still got all of the inner workings of Pirates 4D still in place, so presumably it's just a slight re-working of the building's interior?

Jared said:
Scott said:

Well, they've presumably still got all of the inner workings of Pirates 4D still in place, so presumably it's just a slight re-working of the building's interior?
Thats what I would have thought. I wondered though whether the whole thing was ripped out - as I have heard that before too.

Scott said:
I'm still not entirely sure what the USP of this is. Is it the 4D? Because there's already plenty of Angry Birds crap in other parks...

Probably the brand is the USP... Gotta get the family market interested using other methods than creating a solid atmosphere and putting money into it...

Jared said:
Scott said:

I think the building was gutted, so it'll end up being Ice Age style benches more likely (I hope not)...

Scott said:

Apparently it's the world's first Angry Birds 4D Cinema. ;)

I hope it has proper seats, they are so much nicer than benches. However when I last went in the 4D at Thorpe I was completely soaked, as the water sprays out in your face, rather than above like at Towers.