• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Seeing as this (the charge) isn't being implemented at the other parks I would assume its Thorpe's doing rather than Merlin's? Perhaps its to make up for a poor season. Either way, its still shameful. And has certainly put me off.

The event is likely to be a failure anyway, Thrill Chill was hardly a success... They'd be better off just not opening.

Many rides can't cope with cold weather. Also the maintenance team isn't big enough to get everything done in time for Feb, many rides will still be being stripped down, but they will prioritise those they want open for Feb and do maintenance now.

Towers is bigger so can hold more people easily. Also as it is at least an hours drive for most people to Towers then less guests are willing to make a special trip for Half Term. Chessington however proves that local passholders will overwhelm the park during half term and the same would be true at Thorpe.

NONSENSE!

Well, true lol... BUT! ;)

It's not the limited entry which is the problem, I totally agree with that, it's THORPE for goodness sake it struggles with more than 3 people in it, but CHARGING is where it sails firmly into the "WTF do you think you're doing?" category.

I guess they're trying to get people into the 'hotel' as much as anything else... so they need something open in the park...

The old days of Thorpe February opening have long gone so hopefully this will be better.

I guess they're trying to get people into the 'hotel'

THORPE have humour as tasteful as Roy Chubby Brown calling that a "hotel".

Again though, with the charge, if they're trying to get people into the hotel, why the charge?

Towers is bigger so can hold more people easily. Also as it is at least an hours drive for most people to Towers then less guests are willing to make a special trip for Half Term. Chessington however proves that local passholders will overwhelm the park during half term and the same would be true at Thorpe.

You keep mentioning Chessington struggling with crowds, but during Feb half term only the Zoo and a couple of rides are open, of course the park is gonna seem more crowded than on a regular season day. Are you from the future because you keep hinting that only somewhere at Thorpe Park like Lost City and Amity Cove would only be open during Feb Half Term? How do you know? If you had at least 5 of the major rides open with a few flats, then you wouldn't even need a £5 charge for standard MAP holders.

You keep mentioning Chessington struggling with crowds, but during Feb half term only the Zoo and a couple of rides are open, of course the park is gonna seem more crowded than on a regular season day. Are you from the future because you keep hinting that only somewhere at Thorpe Park like Lost City and Amity Cove would only be open during Feb Half Term? How do you know? If you had at least 5 of the major rides open with a few flats, then you wouldn't even need a £5 charge for standard MAP holders.

That was exactly the problem at Chessington at half term, only the zoo and a few rides open. Lots of passholders turn up, the limited section reaches capacity, gates close, 90min queue for bubbleworks.
Given Thorpe has announced it is only select rides open and some can't open in low temperatures then we know it won't be the whole park open and capacity will be limited. Better to limit guests and make sure everyone has a great day than allow all passholders and insane queues. BUT if they charge £5 and oversell the day and there are 2hr or longer queues then there will be even more unhappy guys as they have a crap day and paid extra.

So do we have any idea what these "select few" rides are? Thorpe are limited with their rides in the main season! It's not like they have a variety of dark rides or indoor rides to open.

As a standard pass holder, there's absolutely no way I'm willing to waste my money on visiting a half-open Thorpe. I'll be visiting in March when it's fully open, free to passholders and probably quieter.

I'm not exactly enthusiastic about Towers feb half term which usually has a reasonable line-up and doesn't cost me anything. I find Thorpe Park lacking in things to do on a normal opening (when it isn't busy) never mind with limited rides.

Will give this a miss

An annual pass is an annual pass, charging extra on top is just wrong and also very underhand. Blackpool Pleasure Beach can open the whole park on the 7th February with no extra cost to passholders, and Alton Towers can run their February half term event with no extra cost to passholders so this is just sheer greed.
This is not the way to treat loyal customers who have already paid in excess of £100 (if a standard MAP).

An annual pass is an annual pass, charging extra on top is just wrong and also very underhand. Blackpool Pleasure Beach can open the whole park on the 7th February with no extra cost to passholders, and Alton Towers can run their February half term event with no extra cost to passholders so this is just sheer greed.
This is not the way to treat loyal customers who have already paid in excess of £100 (if a standard MAP).

This topic has come up before, Legoland used to always offer a limited pass and a premium one. Disney also offer at least three levels of passes with blackout dates for the cheapest. Disneyland California blocks out most summer Saturdays for local passholders. I think without the standard pass they would only offer a high priced pass with no block out dates.

This topic has come up before, Legoland used to always offer a limited pass and a premium one. Disney also offer at least three levels of passes with blackout dates for the cheapest. Disneyland California blocks out most summer Saturdays for local passholders. I think without the standard pass they would only offer a high priced pass with no block out dates.

Its not a block out day though, it's a upcharge day.

Either say passes are not welcome that day (as the London midways do) or let them in for free.

If you think numbers are an issue make passholders register their intent to come online before the day for free

So do we have any idea what these "select few" rides are? Thorpe are limited with their rides in the main season! It's not like they have a variety of dark rides or indoor rides to open.
Thorpe have said on Twitter Stealth, Swarm, Angry Birds Land and selected others - i guess Fish / Teacups will fall into that.

STEALTH!!

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

In FEBRUARY.

They do know this is hydraulic Intamin accelerator right?

A big chunky B&M is one thing, but STEALTH?

Towers could open Rita for FHT if they wanted couldn't they? I thought it was Th13teen that they had the problems with in the cold?