• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I don't think there's any real reason for a flat ride to go out of production unless it's replaced with a newer version. It's not like cars where the tooling wears out and they have to completely rejig the whole factory for a new model. Rides are designed for low volume production.

The major components are usually fabricated from tubular or sheet steel and things like hydraulics, motors, drivetrains and bearings are standard parts that are used throughout the engineering world. I'm sure if a park asked a manufacturer for one of their older models, they would simply dig the drawings out of a draw (or more likely open the CAD file) and make it.

Seems more cost cutting across Merlin parks. We know already that tidal wave has closed for the rest of the season, however this is now on the Thorpe website:

*Please note on Fright Nights dates above, the Rocky Express, Rumba Rapids and Loggers Leap will be closing at 5pm. Also the I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! Maze will not be opening on these dates.

All of which I can understand, except for their new for 2015 attraction that isn't open for frightnights.

Pinching actors and concentrating resources on the scare mazes I suspect.

Seems more cost cutting across Merlin parks. We know already that tidal wave has closed for the rest of the season, however this is now on the Thorpe website:

*Please note on Fright Nights dates above, the Rocky Express, Rumba Rapids and Loggers Leap will be closing at 5pm. Also the I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! Maze will not be opening on these dates.

All of which I can understand, except for their new for 2015 attraction that isn't open for frightnights.

To be fair this isn't that unusual. Loggers has closed early during FN for many years now and his for health and safety reasons which I believe is to do with visibility issues. Understandable really since its surrounded by deep lake water which seems to be relatively unlit. Rumba is a new one, presumably it's for the same reasons though. Rocky often closes early in FN due to lack of demand, just as Carousel always used to close at about 3/4pm. As for I'm a celeb, whilst surprising I can only imagine it's because actors are needed elsewhere.

I know very little about FN, but could celebrity be closed because of another maze being close to the attraction (I know mazes have used this space in previous years) or even using the queue/building for a maze?

I imagine I'm a celeb is cost reasons, as actors and techies will be used for mazes, so rather than pay for more staff they will just close. But bit of a poor show for your brand new attraction.

Loggers has closed early during FN for many years now and his for health and safety reasons which I believe is to do with visibility issues.
When it was still open late during FN, I went on it, and it was indeed pretty much pitch black around a lot of the ride. Without a lot of lighting fitted it's not a great idea to open it in the dark.

What's ride availability like at the moment then?
Samurai, slammer back open yet?

The last I heard Samurai looked something like this:

r_177_comment_summit_held_on_smoothing_out_amp.jpg

When it was still open late during FN, I went on it, and it was indeed pretty much pitch black around a lot of the ride. Without a lot of lighting fitted it's not a great idea to open it in the dark.
Then they should fit lighting! They have had all season to do so as they know that the ride cannot open without it, this excuse does not cut it.

What's ride availability like at the moment then?
Samurai, slammer back open yet?
Samurai is in bits, Vortex is covered in Scaffolding, Tidal Wave is closed for the season and I'm a Celebrity closed during Fright Nights.

So not great really. Slammer is open though.

Then they should fit lighting! They have had all season to do so as they know that the ride cannot open without it, this excuse does not cut it.

Really? You think that would be worth the massive costs for the >100 people who would want to ride Loggers after dark. It has been closing at around 5/6pm for years during fright nights, it's standard practice. They're a business at the end of the day not a charity. They aren't going to waste vast amounts of money on fitting lighting all around the lake (a massive job) not to mention the cost of employing rides staff and the knock on effect it will have on engineering who are already overstretched during fright nights. I'm sorry Jamie but you're being very idealistic here and not realistic. If it was your money would you waste hundreds of thousands of pounds to open a water ride on a cold autumn evenings so that a handful of people could ride it when the majority of guests are elsewhere? Of course not. The fact that they've done this for the past five years suggests that they get very few complaints from guests, and I doubt they're that bothered about a few moany enthusiasts who don't understand budgets.... And who probably wouldn't have ridden it even if it was open.

Yes but how many other parks close their log flumes when it gets dark?
If you travelled out to an a european park would they close their log flume when it got dark?

Also, the "who wants to get wet in the dark" excuse doesn't cut it, as they've closed Rumba as well which barely gets you wet at all, but is good in the dark.

I tweeted Thorpe earlier to see what's closed this weekend and they say only samurai and tidal wave. Strangely they never mentioned I'm a celeb in their tweet.