• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

At the end of the video he says something about a "safe zone". Could that be a hint to a new attraction?
They've teased 2018 a few times already by saying 'see you in the safe zone'. It's a Walking Dead reference.
So the rumour that they are keeping the maze as a permanent attraction seems likely. Or the X retheme could be TWD related? Although personally I think that'd be stupid as it is family coaster (zombies aren't exactly child friendly), but then I remember Th13teen...

I do like the fact that John referenced a Tussauds attraction built 23 years ago with regards to something succeeding despite challenges. I also sincerely hope that all of Thorpe's safe zone teasing does not lead to another actor-led attraction and leads to something proper.

Following Matthew’s post about preaching to the converted, I had a thought about the difference between Thorpe and Chessington.
Thrill coasters are quite re-rideable, you still get a thrill out of going fast. So a lot of Thorpes audience keep coming anyway. At Chessington many families need a reason to visit again or just to keep coming, even if it is just a new animal or similar, the park feels less repeatable to me.

It saddens me that people actually like DBGT, let alone go as far as voting for it to win a bloody award.

The few times I've been on it, the GP look just as puzzled as me as to what was going on.... even this new disco demon ending is piss poor.

Thorpe Park have now submitted plans for an X retheme. This will include:
  • The demolition of the existing entrance portal and its replacement with a "watch tower" themed portal containing a bag drop area and a new pre-show.
  • A new "fake generator" theming element west of the new entrance portal.
  • Extension of the existing outdoor queue area including the installation of a new barbed wire themed queue fence.
  • A new entrance gate and themed signage.
Why does this retheme sound like the love child of Saw and the original DBGT proposal? Also, barbed wire kind of hints towards a dark theme... you don't tend to see barbed wire in family-oriented themes so to speak. As much as it pains me to say it, I think this is kind of hinting towards the Walking Dead. If this new theme is the Walking Dead, then my thoughts are... have Merlin lost their minds? Who in their right mind would retheme one of Thorpe's few family rides to a teenager/adult-oriented TV show with scary zombies in it? I mean, come on Merlin! It's just preparing for disappointment, because teenagers will think it is mediocre and families will find the zombie theming too scary. This is if the theme is Walking Dead, mind. Nothing is confirmed yet. But if the theme is Walking Dead, then I think the theme is far too out-and-out dark for a family coaster. SW8 can get away with it, as I would argue that that theme is more mysterious and engaging than out and out dark. But Walking Dead is just out and out dark for families. On a positive note, however, this will almost definitely have a much better storyline and be a far superior experience coaster to X. So I applaud Merlin for improving the experience aspect of X. But the theme looks to be far too out and out dark for a ride that can accommodate guests as small as 1m tall.

If you want to know more, then here is a Thorpe Park Mania article:
https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/01-12-2017/X+Retheme+Plans
P.S. Sorry about the rant.

- Rundown industrial theming
- Preshow likely to be extremely staff heavy and abandoned after a year

All we need now is a shipping container and a ridiculous ‘compelling proposition’. My bets are on “worlds first zombie coaster’.

Seriously though, along with Saw Island/Alive, DBGT, & Swarm Island, Thorpe Park is starting to look like somewhere you would avoid walking through at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oohh, The return of 2 Merlin staples, Shipping Containers and theming family coasters to dark themes...
I thought we would be done with shipping containers and security cameras when I saw SW8 being built. But no. They still exist in Merlin attractions. Not that them using shipping containers is bad or anything. It's a theme that they're quite good at.

No matter what they do with X... it'll remain a rubbish coaster. Better to cut their loses and free up a massive chunk of land in the park. But no they keep pumping low capex budgets into it just so they have something to advertise each year. If you took the budget from the rides first re-theme, I'm a Celebrity and the new re-theme that'd probebly be enough to have replaced it with something decent.

I'm surprised the company which owns/manages the walking dead is going to let such a standard, unoriginal coaster be rethemed to the walking dead. Surely this doesn't strengthen the brand or present it in the best light. It will be intresting to see what the finished product comes out like.

The project name is ‘X:\NWO WD’ - which pretty much confirms it will be a Walking Dead attraction.

Depsite being unsuitable for a family coaster if done well it could be good. Hopefully there is no bloody VR though...

I think this would probably be one of the only times I wouldn't criticise the addition of VR. It's already in the dark, and there's virtually nothing physical to actually look on the ride. Plus, it gives them the option of updating the ride with extra Carl memes, relatively cheaply.

Thorpe already has a VR attraction that didn't go too well in it's first season, so why would they want another one? On a side note, I only rode X once in July 2014 and I don't remember it being anything earth-shattering, but I don't remember it being awful either.

I think this would probably be one of the only times I wouldn't criticise the addition of VR. It's already in the dark, and there's virtually nothing physical to actually look on the ride. Plus, it gives them the option of updating the ride with extra Carl memes, relatively cheaply.

a. VR is rubbish, and will never beat real theming. They could add various theming items around the track - they'd have a good experience ride if they pulled something similar to Van Helsing's Factory at MPG off.

b. The last thing Thorpe needs is to lower the throughout of one of their attractions.

c. The VR isn't that popular on Galactica. Last time I was at Towers most riders didn't even use it. More VR would be a waste of time and money, better spent on actual theming.