• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Urgh I thought Thorpe would learn from DBGT and Alton's experiment with Air that VR is an already outdated fad that'll take a perfectly good queue eater and turn it into a throughput nightmare, if they're going to retrofit VR onto anything, it should be Colossus since the throughput is already terrible on that.

I'll be crying too if Swarm get's VR, the VR quality on Air is terrible, much worse this year, my FPV headset on my drone produces better quality images.
I don't think they learnt. See Shaman at Gardaland.

I could be wrong but I am fairly confident that The Swarm will not be getting VR. It makes little sense at this time, even for Merlin.

:)

Given that Swarm is seen as the 'failure' of the park's recent follies, it would be no surprise if they were trying some daft gimmick with it... AGAIN...

All those rumours are hearsay rubbish though... Ain't no way Loggers is reopening for 2018, possibly even ever...

I think those rumours are rubbish.
Based off the park's posts teasing next year the Walking Dead will be around in some form. So perhaps they'll keep the mazes (although actor heavy attractions don't last long - do they ever learn?).
There is what I'd say a pretty reliable rumour that X is being rethemed. Could that be to the Walking Dead or something else?

Apparently the management at Thorpe desperately want to reopen Loggers Leap. So it might have a chance. I can't see it being next year - although the longer they leave it the more expensive the refurbishment will be...

Maybe they've paid a hefty fee to AMC (or Fox since they handle the international stuff) and want to get their money's worth out of the franchise.

All they'll need is a Freddy or 13th themed area and they could rename themselves Fright Park.

Given that Swarm is seen as the 'failure' of the park's recent follies, it would be no surprise if they were trying some daft gimmick with it... AGAIN...

All those rumours are hearsay rubbish though... Ain't no way Loggers is reopening for 2018, possibly even ever...
Well some would call DBGT a failure due to the fact that £30million was spent on it and it failed to change guest figures. And that had VR.

Loggers returning, Walking Dead mazes and Swarm with VR, all on one year?! Very unlikely.

Walking Dead mazes seems plausible, very little work/costs involved in making it permanent (aside from operational/staffing costs but we know how that goes with Thorpe anyway...), all they would need to do is market is as NEW FOR 2018.

Maybe Loggers can follow in 2019 as the 'new for 2019' attraction?

VR on The Swarm? Their attempts are VR so far haven't been a massive hit/a nightmare to run, don't buy this rumour.

Well some would call DBGT a failure due to the fact that £30million was spent on it and it failed to change guest figures. And that had VR.

and not to mention it spends more time closed than it does open.

At least with The Swarm you can count the number of days it's been closed since opening on one hand, with DBGT you do those calculations on a calendar.

Well, I think X is definitely getting either overhauled or removed for next year, as according to Theme Park Guide's recent closed season update from Thorpe, X's entrance "portal" has been removed, leaving a large gap in the building. Here is a link to the update:
https://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page/news-display/1367
The picture I'm talking about is the first picture in the article. I apologize for not being able to post the picture. I personally think that an overhaul could be good for X, but there was just something about a nightclub/rave themed coaster at Thorpe that worked strangely well. For reference, this photo was taken yesterday (November 17th) according to TPG.
EDIT: Also, if X does get removed, is it only me who'd like to see a really track-dense coaster a la Smiler replace it?

Last edited:
Here we are!

x_compare.jpg

Thank you! Do you own Theme Park Guide @KingNemesis? If so, you do great closed season updates from different parks. Was this particular update taken from Monk's Walk, out of interest?

I am one of the main admins of the site, mainly I focus on Alton Towers (Pretty much 90% of the SW8 updates are from me). These photos were taken by the main owner of the site and were indeed done via Monk's walk.

Just now, when looking through Screamscape, I saw something under the Thorpe Park page that said that the park wants to take a year off soon to do park improvements, which could add fuel to the fire of the rumours that Loggers is reopening in the future. Take that as you will, but I think that year could see quite a bit done, if it happens. Sort of like Alton’s TLC project condensed into a whole year.