• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I see something Goliath at SFGAm going to Thorpe for 2020 as it has the big gimmicky stats which Merlin could easily get away with 'World's First' and be like the success of SAW was for the park.

If anybody here wants preseason day tickets they've made a few more available at the link above, same for Chessington, they'll probably be gone though quick.

This whole x rethems seems lame to me. It’s like Merlin have said they have little budget so the park have said ‘let’s retheme x, that’s cheap’

We moan about AT cuts but I think Thorpe will see more

If anything, Thorpe have seen cuts reversed this year. Longer opening hours, reopening scare mazes outside Fright Nights, more live events planned and hiring more actors.
There are strong hints that the brake runs on X will be re-activated as part of the new theme. Hopefully won’t cause as much vomiting as it did going backwards!
It’s really hard to judge how successful X will be. If the theming is as good as Living Nightmare then it should do well. If it’s not and essentially just X:\NWO again going forwards, then it may be a flop for the target guests and all of the families who can no longer take their kids on it.
However it’s often pointed out that the more family friendly Legoland and Chessington parks are next door to Thorpe.

If they are going to reactivate the stopping points, they had better get more trains on the track!
I hope so too Diogo, it can apparently achieve 1000pph at full throughput, so it would help with busy days if it was running at full throughput.

As far as I’m aware it has never run more than three trains since the removal of the stops (although it didn’t make as much difference on 3 or 4 without the stops).

If the stops return, hopefully it will be on four again and never go below three. As a result of ‘two people per row’ rule, I found the ride often on just two trains which likely made for low throughputs. Fingers crossed they’ve been able to rectify this too so the ride can run safely and efficiently.

Just had a good read of this thread...so nice to see merlin going all in on, well nothing!
It can only get worse from here so let's exchange jokes instead!

Did you hear the one about the overzealous scare actor and the rocking tug ride?
I heard it went to court!

...do you get my point...
-------------------------------anyway-------------------------
Is this "new ride" intended to encompass one of the walking dead mazes from last year, or is it going to turn the exit into a third maze?
(I didn't go to fright nights so don't know if any are close enough to connect onto the "new ride")

TWD mazes were nowhere near X in fright nights.

I expect they are tethering the corridors to zombie apocalypse with the customary words don't dead open inside on one of the doors.

If anything, Thorpe have seen cuts reversed this year. Longer opening hours, reopening scare mazes outside Fright Nights, more live events planned and hiring more actors.
There are strong hints that the brake runs on X will be re-activated as part of the new theme. Hopefully won’t cause as much vomiting as it did going backwards!
It’s really hard to judge how successful X will be. If the theming is as good as Living Nightmare then it should do well. If it’s not and essentially just X:\NWO again going forwards, then it may be a flop for the target guests and all of the families who can no longer take their kids on it.
However it’s often pointed out that the more family friendly Legoland and Chessington parks are next door to Thorpe.

I don’t have think Thorpe have had their cuts reversed, the late openings are a specific event with a proven track record of bringing in an income.

I believe this year Thorpe cuts have been more in the realm of staff redundancies in back-office areas and management, something Towers did two season ago.

RMC, B and M, or Mack please, in that order of preference. I have little preference between the first 2 with a slightly bigger gap between them and my third choice.

Needs to be big, long and thrilling ( ooh matron!) - Insert Sid James laugh.

Loggers won't be reopening and I wouldn't place any bets on a "Project 2020" being a dead cert either. CAPEX is being cut drastically in the period we're talking about here and Thorpe has a recent history of any big CAPEX projects bearing the same fruit as if you'd simply posted the money down the grills of a storm drain.

If I was Merlin I'd be swapping out flat rides from time to time, hosting special events and doing light touch rethemes of existing rides to keep the park fresh. The most stupid thing the company could do is sink £10-20m into a new ride at this park. They're far better off investing in Chessington and Towers instead.

Agree with the above.

The parks location is absolutely perfect from Merlin's perspective. It's easily accessible from all over the south and more importantly, London.

They've got a reputation as a good value day out for large groups of youngsters and also the tourists from London. That's why the Walking Dead is an easy win for them ... Fans of the show from all over the world visiting the capital could hop on the train and visit the park.

Am RMC would be perfect and it doesn't have to be the same scale as Steel Vengence. Wicked Cyclone only cost $10 mil and is ranked among the best RMC's. The UK is crying out for an airtime machine and whilst Thorpe is our best hope, I can't see them going for another coaster for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

I think they may be waiting to see how successful Wicker Man is before deciding on the next coaster (likely on the site of Loggers). Old Town would really suit a woodie or hybrid.