• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Does anyone even still watch The Walking Dead lol

About half as many as a year ago.

15 out of 10 on the scare scale? Oh dear. As I hate anything with scare actors... yeah I'm not riding that when we go in 2018! Good thing I already got the cred in 2014 when it was X!

It is just baffling to me that they want to retheme a family ride to a 15 certificate TV show. They're basically reversing what they did in 2013. Is it just me, or does this whole project make no sense at all? While Alton have been wowing us with Wicker Man, Thorpe comes out with this. While admittedly, it isn't Thorpe's year for a major investment, it is rather confusing as to why they've done it.

On a more positive note, however, Thorpe are probably going to wow us with the ride's experience aspect if Wicker Man is anything to go by. AMC probably have high standards, also, so it should be amazing. Might be almost Disney-level!

To me it's as if they've got the rights year round and want to make the most of it and X was the easiest and quickest to rethink. I imagine a TWD license doesn't come cheap.

I gave up when that pillock with the tiger showed up. Awful character.

Zombie apocalypse is fine but the tiger is too far fetched for me ;)

The pollock with the tiger is integral to the books, so was needed for the show, the tiger didn't last long though, they accelerated its death to save money as the cgi cost too much, the biggest travesty is the character who is being killed off this Sunday, more so than any stupid cgi tiger.

Is this a temporary thing, just for the year of the walking dead (tm) (c), or will this be left as another reminder of the park's follies and foibles for future generations. e.g SAW:alive

Is this a temporary thing, just for the year of the walking dead (tm) (c), or will this be left as another reminder of the park's follies and foibles for future generations. e.g SAW:alive
I think it will be the latter.

Thorpe are doing a one off event on 18th March, eXpo:\2018

John Burton, the guy who made the claim of 15 out of 10 on scare scale will be speaking.

Also, for one-time-only, join us in the marquee throughout the day for eXpo:\2018 – a celebration of the iconic X coaster! This unique event is exclusive to Annual Passholders and is the perfect chance to bid farewell to the coaster in its current form, as well as getting a sneak peek of what’s to come in 2018.

Check out guest speakers, including Lead Creative John Burton, take advantage of rare photo opportunities and bask in the nostalgia of this awesome attraction. PLUS don’t forget to grab your limited edition pop badge to mark the occasion, available on a first come first served basis!

So what are you waiting for? Come and join us on Sunday 18th March for this exciting Annual Passholder Day!

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/2018-pre-season-day-at-thorpe-park-resort-tickets-43025616778

Last edited:
We got to remember that these MMM project directors are given these things to say. It's a ridiculous tagline but I wouldnt hold it against him personally!

Same as when he said on camera "not all Thorpe Park's rides have 'dark' themes" before announcing yet another tyres-and-junk theme, which he & Thorpe probably had little say in.

I have spoken to John Burton on several occasions and he is genuinely a very clued up and charming fellow! Like mentioned in the above he would have been given a spiel to say to put Thorpe in whatever light "the powers from above" deem relevant at the time.

Every member of the MMM team care about the projects they work on and in recent years have done well with what they have had to work with. Let us not forget the very drab ending to DBGT V1.

Fully understand what you both said @KingNemesis & @TakeYourMedicine

When it comes to those outrageous claims though, is nobody at MMM able to say hold on a minute that’s not something we can say, we simply can’t deliver it?
On the 15 out of 10 scare it’s impossible to deliver so sets the attraction up for disappointment from day one. Or is the headliner grabber worth all the (Potential) dissatisfaction because it got guests in?

I'm not really against having something related to The Walking Dead at Thorpe, but retheming X just barely 5 years after it was turned into a family coaster into something based on 18 rated TV show is one of the most stupidest ideas I've ever seen.

Also at this rate with all the IPs, the park will turn into a crap version of Universal.

I'm not really against having something related to The Walking Dead at Thorpe, but retheming X just barely 5 years after it was turned into a family coaster into something based on 18 rated TV show is one of the most stupidest ideas I've ever seen.

Also at this rate with all the IPs, the park will turn into a crap version of Universal.
I completely agree with you. The park's formula for naming rides now seems to be "[insert horror IP here]: The Ride". I'm hoping that Project 2020 will be an original theme, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was an IP.

Out of interest, will Project 2020 receive its own topic when the project gets more interesting, like DBGT did?

Reactions: Ted
I think the possibility that this project will ever be interesting is over optimistic.
What do you mean? If Thorpe 2020 is a IP themed Mini Dive I'm sure it'll get more pages of discussion than The Smiler and Wicker Man threads combined!*

*Although it might not be positive.

What do you mean? If Thorpe 2020 is a IP themed Mini Dive I'm sure it'll get more pages of discussion than The Smiler and Wicker Man threads combined!*
If Thorpe build a Dive Machine to 'complement' Saw I'm selling my shares, I'm done.

(but I don't think they will)

Most likely be a RMC assuming Wicker Man is deemed a success and that the terrorists don't blow up Farley Lane...

An RMC would suit Thorpe perfectly. It would also be relatively cost effective. Please let it be; imagine getting a GCI, Mack Launch and RMC in the UK all within 2 years!

:)

Would be great to see an RMC in the UK. Though I'd prefer to see one at Towers because bias. :D