• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

On a security note, do Chessington operate searches? Only ever gone in via hotel so no idea

Yes there are tables by each entrance, on the North it's by the turnstyles (iirc) and South is on the road that runs from the field car park, which of course means if you park in the MAP carpark, you can if quick bypass it before they see you.

I've never been wanded at Chessington, but I have been waved through because I didn't have a bag, or because I walk in from the MAP carpark, been shouted at, replied "haven't got a bag" and been told "ok carry on". I mean, you'd have though at least one member of the security team watched Deadpool 2 and realised just how much crap you can fit in a fannypack under your jumper lol.

We went in to the angry birds which was 4D but no one actually knew they were queueing up for angry birds which was quite amusing.
However screamplex or whatever it’s called.
We were taken into the theatre, sat down and told that no 4D effects will be working, she did however explain to us that usually there would be water sprays and moving seats (which we knew having just watched angry birds earlier) we then watched a short, independant film about a vampire.
Unless they’ve actually fixed the 4D effects now, I’d rather queue for Vulcan peako_O

Thank you! Wasn't too sure if they put any actors in or whatever thanks again

Are Merlin purposely trying to see which of their two flagship parks can be the worst ran?

Thorpe has never been a favourite place of mine and I've always preferred Towers. However they could do so much with Thorpe to improve it and it wouldn't take lots of investment either. The place just looks dreary.

At least Towers has the setting which is absolutely fantastic. Seen some recent aerial shots from Thorpe Rides and the place is looking very tired and lacklustre.

I visited Thorpe Park this evening for the first time in over three years and generally I was very impressed.

Ride operations were pretty decent, all coasters on full capacity with reasonable diapatch times leading to queues of under 20 minutes for most. Stealth in particular was getting trains out really fast, great to see!

SAW-the Ride failed to open all evening, hopefully it will be open when we visit again tomorrow.

In terms of Fright Nights, we did 4 mazes and intend to do the rest tomorrow.

Vulcan Peak: What can I say, absolutely dire. Zero scares whatsoever.

SAW Alive: Great as usual, solid maze.

Do or Die: Slightly dissapointed, but was still decent. Lacked much of an atmosphere.

Platform 15: Really impressed with this one, some unexpected scares and for sure it has to be done after dark!

I also did The Walking Dead: the Ride for the first time. Whilst I think they have done a great job with the theme, it is yet another example of Merlin putting a dark & scary theme on a tame family friendly ride. (See Wicker Man, Th13teen etc)

The park seemed much better staffed than Alton Towers and flat rides really do make a difference! They help spread the queues much better at Thorpe Park.

Didn't manage to do DBGT, will do it tomorrow for the first time.

Overall I had a great time, much better than any Alton Towers visit this season. Really shows how much AT has gone downhill this year.

The park seemed much better staffed than Alton Towers and flat rides really do make a difference! They help spread the queues much better at Thorpe Park.

Give them a chance, Crabtree has only just been appointed, he won't be able to implement the massive staff and flat rides cull until next year.

I visited Thorpe Park this evening for the first time in over three years and generally I was very impressed.

Ride operations were pretty decent, all coasters on full capacity with reasonable diapatch times leading to queues of under 20 minutes for most. Stealth in particular was getting trains out really fast, great to see!

SAW-the Ride failed to open all evening, hopefully it will be open when we visit again tomorrow.

In terms of Fright Nights, we did 4 mazes and intend to do the rest tomorrow.

Vulcan Peak: What can I say, absolutely dire. Zero scares whatsoever.

SAW Alive: Great as usual, solid maze.

Do or Die: Slightly dissapointed, but was still decent. Lacked much of an atmosphere.

Platform 15: Really impressed with this one, some unexpected scares and for sure it has to be done after dark!

I also did The Walking Dead: the Ride for the first time. Whilst I think they have done a great job with the theme, it is yet another example of Merlin putting a dark & scary theme on a tame family friendly ride. (See Wicker Man, Th13teen etc)

Didn't manage to do DBGT, will do it tomorrow for the first time.

Overall I had a great time, much better than any Alton Towers visit this season. Really shows how much AT has gone downhill this year.
Saws not open, I asked and it's not opening today.
They did seem hopeful it will open by the end of the season

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Oops, not good having your other horror themed ride doa during the horror themed month when it's little brother is limping along not scaring anybody.

Having a great day at Thorpe so far, went to The Swarm: closed, then went to SAW: closed, tried Colossus: 90 minutes, currently queueing for Ghost Train, was supposed to open ridiculously late at 12:00 anyway and it is now "delayed".

I take back everything positive I said yesterday.

@ihaveaspergers guest services just told me SAW will be opening shortly.

Having a great day at Thorpe so far, went to The Swarm: closed, then went to SAW: closed, tried Colossus: 90 minutes, currently queueing for Ghost Train, was supposed to open ridiculously late at 12:00 anyway and it is now "delayed".

Oh dear, at least Saw should be open soon... Fingers crossed it will be up when I go Wednesday. Any suggestions on what mazes I should do?

Merlin consistency ftw!
It was the hosts guarding the plaza saying it wasn't going to

Now that sounds more like the Thorpe I know!

Is it possible that Thorpe have hit their ceiling in terms of potential visitors? Theyve tried every IP under the sun in recent years and clearly there's never been a huge increase in attendance.

As we are not in mainland Europe, maybe it's not accessable enough to be as successful as they want as a thrill destination? Maybe they will look to expand their family offering.
It's because trying every IP under the sun thinking that will increase attendance long term does not work. Merlin's attitude to Thorpe Park on the whole does not work long term.

The park is a very overpriced, undermaintained and often dull place to visit. It doesn't know what it wants to be at all. They have tried to change all the music, change all the slogans and branding, change the paint job, change the management, tack bits on here and there, change anything except for the actual park.

It's a horrid mish mash of confused ideas from last 20 years, overpriced and relies on fads and hype (which doesnt last forever) to get guests in.

And the unprofessionalism surrounding this year's Fright Nights is pretty shocking

Am I missing something about this new Fright Nights audio? All I've heard are some slightly disappointed reviews of Thorpe's mazes.

Looking forward to your review of DBGT @MakoMania, gone downhill imo. Did you have a militant anti phone host in the pre show section?
Yes!

I actually quite enjoyed DBGT, a very unique attraction but it is not without flaws.

The physical theming is great, love the look of the train and overall set. The VR is a bit dodgy (still miles better than Galactica), and the audio was a bit quiet for my liking. Fixable problems as far as I'm concerned.

My main problem is the throughput and reliability. Both are absolutely dire and in need of improvement.

Overall rating: 8/10.

Speaking to a staff member it sounds like it may be a while before SAW is back up

Yes!

I actually quite enjoyed DBGT, a very unique attraction but it is not without flaws.

The physical theming is great, love the look of the train and overall set. The VR is a bit dodgy (still miles better than Galactica), and the audio was a bit quiet for my liking. Fixable problems as far as I'm concerned.

My main problem is the throughput and reliability. Both are absolutely dire and in need of improvement.

Overall rating: 8/10.
Some headsets have the volume almost deafeningly loud

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something about this new Fright Nights audio? All I've heard are some slightly disappointed reviews of Thorpe's mazes.
Some enthusiasts working at Thorpe Park got their mate to do all new audio (bit weird because thought they bought expensive IMAscore tracks only couple years back). This enthusiast guy then used it purely as a vehicle for his own status in 'the theme park community', same as when Alton Towers used him for Scarefest some years back.

Posted the audio on his channel and will tell absolutely anyone at every opportunity that he did it all, posing around the park like he's the new Fright Nights mascot. Also got his friends to make cameos in the radio station bit around Amity Cove with weird fanboy references.

It's just all very cliquey and weird. Whenever people have posted they thought the audio wasn't that good, he corrects them that they don't get it, or his mates go around angrily defending him online.

I swear this guy has been out only to get online attention for years, he always used to with his weird YouTube vlogs and podcasts (calling himself a broadcaster) where he used to post endlessly about how he Skyped John Wardley or visited his house. If you listen to the skype interview it's amusing how much he interrutps John to talk about himself or tell one of his 'hilarious' sarcastic jokes.

But I think it's an indication of a bigger issue. Also calling it "the UK's premier Halloween event" is a bit much, when it's mostly just recycled old props, lazy low budget mazes and teenagers jumping out at you.