• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Merlin are notorious for not maintaining old rides so its hardly unexpected. They seem to invest quite well on new rides but operationally and maintenance gets left behind.

I feel like this is probably more likely to be the original installation of the tunnel not being of a very high quality, and that it's just managed to last this long as it is... With things like this I think it's probably less a case of maintenance getting worse and more a case of the park never having to have factored in this kind of upkeep for old attractions before... I doubt money was being pumped into maintaining the ride back in the Tussauds and earlier days either!

With the ride being from RMC days, I can imagine the above being rather true. Plus, I highly doubt they did have this continous maintenance as it's always seemingly been heavily biased towards newer rides than upkeep of existing attractions as it needs to be.

I do concern myself about something similar happening at Alton Towers, as money is so tight and all the little refurb projects that are wanted just cannot be done due to financial restraint.

That Nemesis Monster really is special, but it really does look terrible from certain angles... and I know that some theming had to be removed during last season as it was beyond repair.

Magrathea said:
I doubt money was being pumped into maintaining the ride back in the Tussauds and earlier days either!
This is true. As everything was new back then Tussad’s had it easy as far as maintenance was concerned. However the advantage of having an older park is that you already have a great line up of rides so you're spending less on infrastructure and more on maintenance.

RideRater has reported on Facebook that X:\ No Way Out is being re-themed and will open under a new name in 2013. Although this is just a rumour at the moment

EDIT: Seems it's actually happening! I wonder what the theme will be?

It's happening.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It has been theorised that Vengeance from the London Dungeon is to be included in the pyramid in some way, but it is not clear precisely what is happening to the rollercoaster itself. There are rumours it is going to run forwards and the brakes are to be reduced/removed.

I've always thought an ancient Egyptian theme would be great for this ride but that is likely to cost more money than what they're spending on this effort.

I was very much under the impression that the rumour surrounding Vengeance was that it was to be housed in the old 4D theatre building. I know there's some spare space in the pyramid, but short of removing the scare maze, I can't see there being enough.

All rumour though, so who knows what's actually happening.

Last minute 'crap we've got no plans for 2013, lets try and make our useless rubbish coaster half decent'? :p

Thorpe Park

Forwards facing, lights on, X:/WeFoundTheWayOut anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I didn't enjoy X at all. BH showed however you don't need a massive hyper thrill coaster to make something fantastic indoors.

I keep forgetting the ride is even there now when I go, I just don't even register that pyramid lol!! I wander past it and forget it has a ride in.

It needs to face forward, the backwards, stop start nonsense - X:WTF was definitely a great description :D - and, it is a shame, because done well that has the potential to house a cracking little dark ride.

The Swarm has a brilliant theme, SW7 seems to be a potential super ride also. Maybe they may have learned some valuable lessons and may actually pop up with a surprise for this one!

I hope so, I really believe it's got super potential.

I'll be gutted if they retheme X. I love the fact that everytime I've ridden it the experience has been slightly different each time.

It's like they have one techie that really cares about the ride and they try and change it to make it better, but clearly have no budget and only have access to random effects which aren't very reliable.

X doesn't need a retheme, just a theme 'touch-up' (to put it extremely, extremely mildly).

I think the current theme is great, and fairly unique within the UK, it's just that it has been entirely lost over the years due to effects, screens, props etc. dying or being removed. It needs to be brought up to (or preferably beyond) the state that it was in when it opened.

Islander said:
I think the current theme is great, and fairly unique within the UK, it's just that it has been entirely lost over the years due to effects, screens, props etc. dying or being removed. It needs to be brought up to (or preferably beyond) the state that it was in when it opened.

... excuse my ignorance... what actually is X:/ No Way Out's present theme? I've never been quite able to work it out, honestly.

D4n said:
Islander said:

... excuse my ignorance... what actually is X:/ No Way Out's present theme? I've never been quite able to work it out, honestly.

Being trapped in a computer virus? It's futuristic electronic at least...

D4n said:
Islander said:

Supposedly, you're meant to be escaping a computer virus from within the computer. Or something...

Well... it's a neat sounding theme. But if even I had no idea of its existence than what hope do the general public have? Eh, whatever they decide to do with the ride next year in terms of re-theme, I think a queue line video is a must, just to give a background of the storyline to the ride and help to generate atmosphere which would be awfully easy to do in those darkened queue line tunnels.

D4n said:
Well... it's a neat sounding theme. But if even I had no idea of its existence than what hope do the general public have?
Well, that's the point - any theming (including the queue line videos) X had quickly went in to disrepair, and in the state it has been in for the last few years, neither you nor anyone had any chance of deciphering the theme. But that doesn't detract from the fact that it was a good theme.

So, it'd be great to reinstate* the long lost theme :D

*(that's the word I was searching for, and failed to find, earlier :) )

Thorpe Park

Re-theme, turn around the trains and cut out all the daft stopping sections and I will be happy to ride again.
I find it a terrible ride, and don't known any non enthusiasts who have found it at all enjoyable.