• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Cheese said:
Colossus was certainly on one train on Sunday, but whether Thorpe would ship the other train back to its birthplace for repairs is perhaps debatable.

I dont see why not if its broken :p

Last day of season was nice and quiet, they had chart music playing on the park wide systen so despite the mixed opinions on it, it created a decent atmosphere on the last day! Only ride i saw playing up was Rush but that was fixed quickly! Heres to 2013!

Mixed opinions indeed - hearing a 45min loop across the entire park when there for 6hrs is not something you want. It was absolutely ridiculous, and in the case of inferno queueline (where it was just majority bass) pure annoying.

It had no atmosphere whatsoever - the swarm island was only place with atmosphere, with its dedicated soundtrack etc.

Went to Thorpe Park & Chessie yesterday as it was so quiet :)

The park seemed to have a good atmosphere but the ONLY INFURIATING THING is that all roller coasters were running one train. Why was there a 30 minute queue for Inferno.

Apart from that the park didn't seem to bad considering its the end of the season and its the first time in 2012 where all the rides were open... IRONIC if you ask me as previous years they have struggled to keep the bare minimum open!

A fourty five minute play list just isn't long enough. I'd far prefer to see a tweet to request system as well, but I imagine that'd be more fuss than it's worth. Although it would get more people talking about the park

thefatone said:
Mixed opinions indeed - hearing a 45min loop across the entire park when there for 6hrs is not something you want. It was absolutely ridiculous, and in the case of inferno queueline (where it was just majority bass) pure annoying.

It had no atmosphere whatsoever - the swarm island was only place with atmosphere, with its dedicated soundtrack etc.

See I personally wished they had played it at the swarm too :p each to their own I guess but I thought the music created a decent happy atmosphere across the park and staff and guests seem to enjoy it.

About the tweet system, it's been done in the past where a dj can plug into the sound system and play songs requested park wide, that's more on event days though unfortunately.

Themeparkmania said:
the ONLY INFURIATING THING is that all roller coasters were running one train. Why was there a 30 minute queue for Inferno.

So they could sell stupid people fast track even on a quiet day.

simps100 said:
See I personally wished they had played it at the swarm too :p
Oh dear lord - poor old immersion. This is why this park should not have been given Swarm - they don't deserve it ;).

They did seemingly have a fastrack unit open on Monday. Luckily I saw nobody fall for it.

I'm not usually one to slate Thorpe, but their operations earlier this week were very frustrating. The 45 minute loop of clubland/chart music was extremely irritating once you've been there for a few hours. It was literally being played everywhere bar Swarm island. Even Saw island was playing it, do Lionsgate know they are doing this? It completely destroyed any intimidation the ride had. Why bother to theme a ride, have themed music created for it, and just play chart music over them? Such a shame. It was almost like the park were aiming for a Blackpool Pleasure Beach like atmosphere.
Also, coasters also operating a minimum capacity generating 30min queues? A little disappointing.

On the other hand, bar one extremely rude member of staff - quite a few of the operators were having some really good guest interaction over the PA. Really nice to see some staff genuinely wanting to talk and have a laugh with guests.

code-red said:
I'm not usually one to slate Thorpe, but their operations earlier this week were very frustrating. The 45 minute loop of clubland/chart music was extremely irritating once you've been there for a few hours. It was literally being played everywhere bar Swarm island. Even Saw island was playing it, do Lionsgate know they are doing this? It completely destroyed any intimidation the ride had. Why bother to theme a ride, have themed music created for it, and just play chart music over them? Such a shame. It was almost like the park were aiming for a Blackpool Pleasure Beach like atmosphere.

I really dont see the huge fuss over this, the park had only closed at 10 the night before so all the fright night music was still loaded on the park wide, is it really worth reprogramming all the areas there music back for just one day, especially the last day where staff / guests are all more laid back anyway.

I guess im in a minority on this one, but i thought it created a good atmosphere where as you said staff interacting singing along with it. Whilst it was short, its longer than any ride themes..

Also, coasters also operating a minimum capacity generating 30min queues? A little disappointing.

Agree with this, i did notice though how all the crowds seemed to move together, so inferno had a 30 min queue, and once that cleared the queue seemed to shift to swarm and inferno was dead, was abit odd!

simps100 said:
I really dont see the huge fuss over this, the park had only closed at 10 the night before so all the fright night music was still loaded on the park wide, is it really worth reprogramming all the areas there music back for just one day, especially the last day where staff / guests are all more laid back anyway.
I'm no expert, but I thought one of the points of Project Link was that it's dead easy to add and send new audio across the network. Certainly that's the impression I've got from the (admittedly brief) research I've done into it.

Islander said:
simps100 said:
I'm no expert, but I thought one of the points of Project Link was that it's dead easy to add and send new audio across the network. Certainly that's the impression I've got from the (admittedly brief) research I've done into it.

Its a totally new system for this year, which judging by the high pitched audio / answers from Thorpe they are still getting to grips with it so i guess in theory its easier than going around each area changing the audio, it probably would of taken some work to change back to normal audio for just one day.

New system for this year? But... Project Link's not new :-\. The park audio's been centrally controlled for a few seasons now, though I couldn't give an exact number... I swear it pre-dates, or at least equals, Saw: The Ride though, as wasn't the Saw Island music the first new area on the system?

yeah the link was introduced in 2007 / 2008 i think, but the software behind it all was replaced for this season.

From Mccy on ManiaHub Forums:
Sad news, the roof from the tunnel on the first lift will be removed over the closed season due toF Health & Safety. It was rotting away and collapsing all last season so it was really just a matter of time.

It was in a dire state but I'll be very sad to see it go...ride just won't be the same, though it'll be weird to see the ride BARE!

Magrathea said:
From Mccy on ManiaHub Forums:
Sad news, the roof from the tunnel on the first lift will be removed over the closed season due toF Health & Safety. It was rotting away and collapsing all last season so it was really just a matter of time.

It was in a dire state but I'll be very sad to see it go...ride just won't be the same, though it'll be weird to see the ride BARE!

This quote is about Loggers Leap, just thought that need mentioning ;)

Anyway this is appalling News. If maintenance is so bad that H&S have decided the tunnel needs removing then what on earth are they playing at! Up the maintenance budget Merlin, this is getting ridiculous.

siralgenon said:
Yes "getting". Let's not forget that Thorpe Park now compared to Thorpe Park just one year ago is vastly improved. Really hope that improvement continues.

Islander said:
siralgenon said:
Yes "getting". Let's not forget that Thorpe Park now compared to Thorpe Park just one year ago is vastly improved. Really hope that improvement continues.
They've shaken up the crews of Chessie and Thorpe to improve both parks and ensure the engineers have more experience on different systems.

Maybe getting wasn't the right choice of word. But the point I was making is not the quality of the staff but clearly something should have been done before that structure reached this state. It's very likely this problem was known about but it seems like no funding was given to fix it while they had a chance, something that seems to be becoming a regular issue with all the Merlin parks maintenance.