• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Vicky said:
Sorry, this is a bit random, but it just came to me.

For the nw ride for next year, could it perhaps utilize the Vengeance system? I don't believe that is going with the Dungeons when they move, I can't see where else Merlin would put it and it would be a cheap new ride for Thorpe.

I don't know if there are existing structures that could house it, or perhaps some shipping containers. :p

Rumour been doing the rounds for a while, and does make sense with Dungeons closing. Until you think about the capacity, which is already shocking with the pathetically short and nonsensical ride cycle at Dungeons. For Thorpe all common sense and logic says it would not be at all suitable.

So expect it to open in Pirates at the start of next season then!

Thorpe Park

Thorpe gets a lot of flack that it doesn't deserve. I've only ever had one bad day there and that was certainly an exception with Colossus, Stealth, Slammer and Rush closed all day.

To be fair, Thorpe have improved a lot over the last year and a bit. A few seasons ago their maintenance really was a joke hence the reputation they gained and still have to an extent. I have been more times this season than any other season though and have really every one of my visits and there haven't really been any major problems at all. I think Thorpe learnt a lot from the Annual Pass preview day last year which was nothing short of dire and horrendous!

:)

Thorpe Park

I have just seen John Wardley filming what seemed to be a documentary or interview about rollercoasters. He was stood by Saw under the first drop. All I heard was a comment about forces in the loop.

Thorpe Park

One of our members has also spotted him near Colossus with senior ridesy people - potentially exciting!

Yep, it's now gone up! I'm sure it will harmonise with Alton Towers' before long.

It's been £4 most of this season. I can't remember if it was that price at the start of the season, but I'm pretty sure it was £4 by April at the latest.

So is John there to do some filming for Blue Peter or something, or to advise Thorpe management on new ride plans? Or maybe both?

B&M hyper in Canada Creek anyone?

John said:
It's been £4 most of this season. I can't remember if it was that price at the start of the season, but I'm pretty sure it was £4 by April at the latest.

It certainly wasn't at the start and I seem to recall the £1 rise last year occurring around this time.

John said:
It wasn't at the start of the season as because when I went on opening day it was still £2, but I was quite surprised by the £2 increase.

Just checked on TPM, parking was £3 at the start of season (it went up from £2 before fright nights last year apparently). The thread pointing out the increase to £4 was started on 4th May, so the increase happened at least 6 weeks ago.

John said:
Just checked on TPM, parking was £3 at the start of season (it went up from £2 before fright nights last year apparently). The thread pointing out the increase to £4 was started on 4th May, so the increase happened at least 6 weeks ago.
Oh? Guess on Opening Day they didn't bother changing the sign to say £3 rather than £2.

Tom said:
Yep, it's now gone up! I'm sure it will harmonise with Alton Towers' before long.

Something I'm anticipating will happen soon. I upgraded my Standard pass to a Premium pass just so I can get free parking. ;)

Sam said:
So is John there to do some filming for Blue Peter or something, or to advise Thorpe management on new ride plans? Or maybe both?

B&M hyper in Canada Creek anyone?
Are Merlin allowed to build past 1654ft? I'm sure I've read that the 2015 coaster can't exceed 60 meters. It's a shame because Merlin could build the tallest coaster in the UK at Thorpe Park and attract many, many people from across Britain to ride such a beast. I hope I'm wrong! I know that it's possible to build to 300ft and no further due to the park's proximity to Heathrow, so if they can build above 164ft then they really could make an epic ride.

As for a theme, something that links with Canada Creek could be great. I've come up with a few of my own plans that I may post tomorrow if I have enough to show.

BigAl said:
Are Merlin allowed to build past 1654ft? I'm sure I've read that the 2015 coaster can't exceed 60 meters. It's a shame because Merlin could build the tallest coaster in the UK at Thorpe Park and attract many, many people from across Britain to ride such a beast. I hope I'm wrong! I know that it's possible to build to 300ft and no further due to the park's proximity to Heathrow, so if they can build above 164ft then they really could make an epic ride.

1,654ft, well, thats plenty of height to play with! :p

Woops, I wrote 165ft first but changed it to 164ft after. Mustn't have pushed delete hard enough! :p

164ft

8)

Rick said:
Thorpe gets a lot of flack that it doesn't deserve. I've only ever had one bad day there and that was certainly an exception with Colossus, Stealth, Slammer and Rush closed all day.

I take it you didn't visit on the day the park ran out of food or the time that Stealth, Slammer, Rumba, Loggers, Saw and Colossus were down all day leaving Inferno as the only working major rollercoaster.

Saying that, the park has massively improved over the last two years. Reliability is so much better.