• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Fin's used to have a themed menu. I remember having something like a Saw twisted chilli cheese dog which was quite nice. I was hoping for something similar, was not expecting literally just a choice of cow, chicken or plant burger.

Whilst I’m struggling to be shocked by the perpetual downwards spiral of Merlin’s F&B offerings throughout their UK RTP portfolio, this seems to be a new low for Thorpe’s offer.

The Bush BBQ was always a respectable choice, regardless of what other options were available. With this now gone, the default would be Fins. To have that menu reduced to what sounds like the most limited of offerings leaves very little else. Fish and Chips is poor quality, Kebabs are overpriced and offer no seating, Pizza Pasta is bog standard overpriced carnage.

It really leaves you with only the franchise units. In the past I’ve always avoided eating at BK and KFC for wanting something unique to complement my day, rather than something you can get on every high street.

It’s now at a point where the Merlin offerings are so scant and poor quality, that if we do eat on park, we now default to the high street chains because there is no other viable option.

What is entirely inexplicable is that the parks have a captive audience. Running profitable catering outlets should be within the grasp of even the most incompetent of operators. They can do it (see Smokehouse). It should be a source of additional revenue for them and yet they appear to overlook this obvious opportunity entirely because they’re so incessantly focused on cost cutting.

Fin's used to have a themed menu. I remember having something like a Saw twisted chilli cheese dog which was quite nice. I was hoping for something similar, was not expecting literally just a choice of cow, chicken or plant burger.
Supposedly they are only on a very limited menu because they have limited staff.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

The Bush BBQ was always a respectable choice, regardless of what other options were available. With this now gone, the default would be Fins. To have that menu reduced to what sounds like the most limited of offerings leaves very little else. Fish and Chips is poor quality, Kebabs are overpriced and offer no seating, Pizza Pasta is bog standard overpriced carnage.

Somewhat disagree, while overall it's not great I think the chips from Amity Fish & Chips are actually the best in the park. I think this is down to the fact they have different chip shop fryers, so if you're ever just after a bite to eat, I recommend getting chips from there.
If they can't do decent food outlets themselves then they should keep the franchise outlets. The newer donut stall that sells the donut sundaes always has a longish queue. It's just proof that when they do make unique food items away from the bog standard offerings, more poeple are willing to buy from their own outlets.

It's concerning that Merlin continue to underpay staff and are seemingly oblivious to the fact that rides are being operated unprofessionally. If staff aren't watching the rides properly, that's a compromise of guest safety.

Have they learnt nothing from the accident in 2015?

It's concerning that Merlin continue to underpay staff and are seemingly oblivious to the fact that rides are being operated unprofessionally. If staff aren't watching the rides properly, that's a compromise of guest safety.

Have they learnt nothing from the accident in 2015?

They wont be underpaying staff - they will pay them what they are legally obliged to and the market rate.

Thing is, it isn't all about pay. When you are a teenager/ student - yes, you want money but you want to have a good time at work. Management are failing to enforce standards, and staff are generally doing as little as they can get away with.

When I was at BPB yesterday, the Big One staff were miserable. They all had hands in their pockets and were standing around (or leaning) looking glum. Compare this to the staff on Icon - who were chatting to visitors, and having a bit of banter with each other... they actually looked happy to be there (and it was awful weather). Same with the staff on the Big Dipper - they were struggling to get more than one person per train, but they were chatting and looked fairly happy to be at work.

I was at AT about a month ago, my lap bar on Wickerman failed to lock. After emptying the train all the staff disappeared into the control booth - except one young guy (who was in training). He came over to the pens and chatted with me and others - he was so polite and reassuring. When I was at AT the other day he was working unload - still by far the best operator, but his smile had gone, he was slouching and clearly lost the excellent service he had. This is the problem, bad habits spread.

This is not about pay, this is about company standards and motivation. I would be interested to find out how Merlin measure their staff and service.

They wont be underpaying staff - they will pay them what they are legally obliged to and the market rate.

Thing is, it isn't all about pay. When you are a teenager/ student - yes, you want money but you want to have a good time at work. Management are failing to enforce standards, and staff are generally doing as little as they can get away with.

When I was at BPB yesterday, the Big One staff were miserable. They all had hands in their pockets and were standing around (or leaning) looking glum. Compare this to the staff on Icon - who were chatting to visitors, and having a bit of banter with each other... they actually looked happy to be there (and it was awful weather). Same with the staff on the Big Dipper - they were struggling to get more than one person per train, but they were chatting and looked fairly happy to be at work.

I was at AT about a month ago, my lap bar on Wickerman failed to lock. After emptying the train all the staff disappeared into the control booth - except one young guy (who was in training). He came over to the pens and chatted with me and others - he was so polite and reassuring. When I was at AT the other day he was working unload - still by far the best operator, but his smile had gone, he was slouching and clearly lost the excellent service he had. This is the problem, bad habits spread.

This is not about pay, this is about company standards and motivation. I would be interested to find out how Merlin measure their staff and service.
I've been told they do secret shoppers but I'm not so sure they do...

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Whoops, I meant "underpaying" as in paying a low amount, not under the legal wage - should have been more clear!

I agree though that it's about more than just pay, The Big One's staffing is in a horrendous state at the moment and it's probably one of the worst operated UK coasters (when it used to be one of the best if weather conditions allowed). The underlying issue at PB lies with park management and not the ride staff however.

I have some bad news for fans of that new hotdog place in the jungle.

It's been walled off with metal fences and disappeared from the app.

Hopefully the are just taking advantage of the quiet period, using it as an opportunity to clean up the disgusting tent covering the seating area, cause the park really needs another hotdog place.

D6Opyl7WAAEyGD1