• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Onto a different subject; what do we think has happened to Project 2020 that we were told about during a TTSP event in July 2017? I say that because despite my optimism, I am now starting to think that 2020 is not looking that likely. There's still a chance, as there are parks that announce coasters for the next year in the previous summer before any construction has occurred, but I now think that chance is quite small.

For this reason, I'm personally setting my sights on 2021. If the rumours of B&M hypers or RMCs are true, then this would likely be a very substantial coaster, which would mean that planning permission would likely be submitted within the next couple of months. As for what site I predict this coaster to be on, I personally now have my sights set on the Loggers area, or at least part of it. That area is huge, and could quite easily fit a decent size coaster. As for what sort of coaster I'd like, I still stand by a hyper as my top choice, followed by an RMC. Failing that, a GCI like Wicker Man would be a good addition to the park for 2021.

But what are you guys reckoning?

In all seriousness, I expect that the £100 million reduction in CAPEX across the resort theme parks, coupled with the failure of the last two high investments at Thorpe Park to increase visitor numbers will be behind this delay.

Thorpe needs a high value attraction - it needs a unique Giga, a record breaking RMC or something similar. Right now, there is nothing at Thorpe (other than Swarm... maybe) that would make me want to drive 4 hrs to get there. Towers has Original Nemisis, Smiler, Air and possibly Oblivion that makes the journey acceptable.

In my mind, right now, there is only one park that [rides alone] I would travel some distance to go to - and that is Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

I do worry about Thorpe & AT post-brexit. I wouldn't be surprised if the European market falls. I am pretty certain disposable income will fall, and getting these attractions built may cost more. I think Merlin really needs to get there finger out and get a few REALLY good rides pencilled in to keep the crowds coming.

Being responsible for the capacity on Hypersonic would be an interesting footnote on your CV.
Hypersonic wasn't actually in my area - I was only responsible for it a few times. capacity on that was shocking, but it didn't matter. People were actually quite happy to wait in 4+ hour queues for that. Capacity complaints always came from lower IP rides and family rides. You would get complaints for 15min queues on some small flat rides, but then people would think a 2hr wait for Volcano was acceptable. I gave up trying to understand people...

I have some bad news for fans of that new hotdog place in the jungle.

It's been walled off with metal fences and disappeared from the app.

Hopefully the are just taking advantage of the quiet period, using it as an opportunity to clean up the disgusting tent covering the seating area, cause the park really needs another hotdog place.

D6Opyl7WAAEyGD1

Well this is rather hilarious! Hopefully they too have realised just how dire it is and are going to turn it back in to a proper food outlet again rather than something serving rip off 'gormet' Rollover hotdogs. The idea of a 'gormet' Rollover itself is laughable.

I can't imagine it was performing well. The staff there last weekend looked bored out of their minds due to lack of custom.

Seems strange to take the whole roof off. However whilst we sat under it last week it did look like it hasn’t been cleaned for about 10 years.

However I have a.m feeling they will just take the roof off and leave it like that.

It used to be a nice busy outlet and bar, now it’s just a dead spot selling £12 hot dog, chips and a drink.

Well Varney was proved correct when he didn’t believe that game thing was right for a theme park, hopefully he also told them this was wrong too.

Heads need banging with the parks management it moves from one stupid idea to another

Well Varney was proved correct when he didn’t believe that game thing was right for a theme park, hopefully he also told them this was wrong too.

Heads need banging with the parks management it moves from one stupid idea to another
In fairness, it seems there isn't much they can do with their current budgets. Similar to the Dungeons at Towers, it's either this or nothing.

But It's A Knockout is absolutely not the answer.

I should have asked him about that!

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk