• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Also, just warning you in advance; if you or anyone in your group is tall, then you may have some issues with fitting comfortably into the ride car. I'm about 5'9", and I could barely get my knees behind the seat in front of me last time I rode, so I can't imagine it's comfortable if you're too much taller.

Basically, if anyone in your group is over 6ft, just warn them about this before you ride. My dad didn't fit at all, but he's taller than the vast majority of people at 6'6", so I wouldn't worry on that front.

Also, just warning you in advance; if you or anyone in your group is tall, then you may have some issues with fitting comfortably into the ride car. I'm about 5'9", and I could barely get my knees behind the seat in front of me last time I rode, so I can't imagine it's comfortable if you're too much taller.

Basically, if anyone in your group is over 6ft, just warn them about this before you ride. My dad didn't fit at all, but he's taller than the vast majority of people at 6'6", so I wouldn't worry on that front.
That probably rules me out then, I'm 6ft 2 :p

Stealth has never stalled at the top with guests on.

The only time it has ever stalled at the top was in 2008, during a morning test run before the park opened for the day.

You know I could have sworn people were on it lol, obviously I remembered wrong, thanks.

The trains are a joke quite frankly. Someone at Intamin actually designed those and thought “These will be fine!” o_O

6’3 here and it takes a little contorting to get into the rear seats. The trick I find is to try and get your legs into position either side of the seat column in front (making sure not to smack your head off the OTSR which REALLY hurts), then to let yourself drop into the seat. Once you’re down it’s near impossible to reposition your feet or legs. Throughout the ride just focus on not letting your head bash the restraint, unless you want to have sore ears for the rest of the day.

It’s certainly worth it though. Despite the roughness I find it a pretty solid layout. Hopefully Flamingo Land’s new one will actually let people enjoy the layout!

Thank you! I'll let my dad know. He'll probably suck it up and go on it - it's like he's 15 again when we're at theme parks.

Agreed, I'd rather take a few more minutes in line to walk off the ride with intact kneecaps.
I wonder how feasible it would be to get replacement trains for it, or at least retrofitting more slimlined restraints that aren't made of cement.

I dislike rides that force you to ride defensively and this is one of the worst rides I have been on for head banging and discomfort. Would probably take an SLC over colossus- at least they don't crush my legs

I completely forgot how awful colossus was for the taller person until I wrangled myself onto it again last summer - a ride when you have to spend the whole time attempting to avoid headbanging while also having your legs contorted at such an angle you feel like you're about to lose circulation doesn't provide anything like a good experience.

Plus, having 2/3 of my party unable to ride due to the restraints not fitting properly.

I find crossing your legs helps, I'm not the tallest but even I find riding it without uncomfortable. As for head banging, if the next corner is left, push your head against the right side head padding, and vice versa for the right handers, if you're already leaning your head on the correct restraint you don't get that initial bang as you enter the corner and all the pinballing that comes after from inertia, but if all you've got is office muscles in your neck, there's nothing much that will stop your head pinballing on coasters aside from positioning your head correctly when entering the corners.

I find crossing your legs helps, I'm not the tallest but even I find riding it without uncomfortable. As for head banging, if the next corner is left, push your head against the right side head padding, and vice versa for the right handers, if you're already leaning your head on the correct restraint you don't get that initial bang as you enter the corner and all the pinballing that comes after from inertia, but if all you've got is office muscles in your neck, there's nothing much that will stop your head pinballing on coasters aside from positioning your head correctly when entering the corners.
It's a sign of a bad coaster when your having to ride like that to get any enjoyment from it

I think the thing with Colossus' trains (and most rollercoaster trains) is that they were likely designed with "the average person" in mind, meaning that those shorter and taller than average are affected adversely. I have first hand experience of this; my shorter-than-average mum at 5'3" finds it bangs her head around too much, whereas my taller-than-average dad at 6'6" doesn't even fit into the trains. Having said that, I, at 5'9", fall into roughly the average height category, and I still don't personally find Colossus a pleasant experience, so I think it depends on a number of factors, with personal roughness tolerance being a pretty large one; mine is quite low!

I think the thing with Colossus' trains (and most rollercoaster trains) is that they were likely designed with "the average person" in mind, meaning that those shorter and taller than average are affected adversely. I have first hand experience of this; my shorter-than-average mum at 5'3" finds it bangs her head around too much, whereas my taller-than-average dad at 6'6" doesn't even fit into the trains. Having said that, I, at 5'9", fall into roughly the average height category, and I still don't personally find Colossus a pleasant experience, so I think it depends on a number of factors, with personal roughness tolerance being a pretty large one; mine is quite low!

I am 5ft 8in and I am comfortable on most rides, including Colossus (although I still think I wouldn’t quite go as far to say it’s “comfortable”). It is great being “average” height although as you say, few people are!