• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

The social distancing is a hard thing to manage because it requires everyone to do it, whilst they do make announcements if someone isn’t going to comply what do they do?

I think they need to get tough, two announcements in 5mins should mean close the ride down which then shames those involved - they’ve done it before with queue jumpers who refused to leave the queue. Or failing that send security up and down the length of the queue line every 10 mins.

Unfortunately Thorpe attracts the type who won’t listen to anyone apart from themselves but the park are responsible for everyone’s safety whilst there, if you can’t operate safely close the park until you can.

And it’s a shame to be so harsh on Thorpe because opening weekend (Covid) they really were great and things were working well.

Last edited:
The social distancing is a hard thing to manage because it requires everyone to do it, whilst they do make announcements if someone isn’t going to comply what do they do?

I think they need to get tough, two announcements in 5mins should mean close the ride down which then shames those involved - they’ve done it before with queue jumpers who refused to leave the queue. Or failing that send security up and down the length of the queue line every 10 mins.

Unfortunately Thorpe attracts the type who won’t listen to anyone apart from themselves but the park are responsible for everyone’s safety whilst there, if you can’t operate safely close the park until you can.

And it’s a shame to be so harsh on Thorpe because opening weekend (Covid) they really were great and things were working well.
Security can't handle an entire full queue worth of people not social distancing, it's only something they can handle when it's an exception not the rule.

I was there today and the queues were absolutely ridiculous, the park was way too overcrowded as well. That was well over 30 percent capacity today.

Have you got any photos? I can imagine 10,000 people in the park when it’s supposedly on “reduced capacity” would feel ridiculously crowded. 10,000 is more like 70-80% of full capacity, isn’t it?

I saw the photos of phantasialand from Sunday, the first day they increased the capacity up from 6000 to 10,000, and the paths were so busy, with ride queues spilling into the paths, that it was apparently impossible to even walk through from area to area as there was literally no space to even get past people, let alone keep a 1.5m social distance. I can only imagine Thorpe park at 10,000 would be the same, with ride queues spilling out into pathways and being unable to social distance.

I understand these businesses have been closed for 3-4 months without being able to open, so there is millions of lost income, but surely filling up your park too full and putting guests in an unsafe environment is not the way forward? That is exactly the way to get the park shut down.

In comparison, portaventura which is bigger than Thorpe park, is only operating on 6000 capacity, and Europa park which is much much bigger, is operating with only 15,000 capacity (may have been subsequently increased, but 15,000 as far as I am aware). So 10,000 in a park the size of Thorpe is obviously not going to go down well.

It’s not good for customer service, but more importantly it’s completely unsafe and is breaching covid-secure guidelines, putting guests and staff at risk due to too high volumes of people in the park.

I honestly think if these parks are going to let so many people in at one time, then masks should be a constant requirement, otherwise it could surely lead to a huge outbreak/ surge in infections if the park is overcrowded to the point where it’s physically impossible to social distance?

They had an interesting way of checking prebooks for passholders.
"Do you have a pass"
If you answer yes you go one way past a member of staff who visually checked, the other way appears to go directly to turnstiles.

I believe you can all see the issue with that.

They need to be more careful or Merlin could find themselves with another breach of Health and Safety laws on their hands. That would look great in court and over the newspapers. It's something they really should take seriously.
A better approach would be to block all passes at the turnstiles and have staff scan a barcode to swipe them in after verifying pre-book.

A better approach would be to block all passes at the turnstiles and have staff scan a barcode to swipe them in after verifying pre-book.
That’s the approach at Warwick, the turnstiles are switched off and they want the prebook ticket first, no prebook no entry. Then they attempt to scan tickets / passes but for some reason passes wouldn’t scan on Saturday and they’d decided they would write down the details of every pass that failed to scan.

That’s the approach at Warwick, the turnstiles are switched off and they want the prebook ticket first, no prebook no entry. Then they attempt to scan tickets / passes but for some reason passes wouldn’t scan on Saturday and they’d decided they would write down the details of every pass that failed to scan.
I bet they accidentally just blocked passes on all admission points not just turnstiles..

Nemesis inferior have someone stationed at the entrance holding people back to try and enforce social distancing.

Not entirely sure if the host is signalling for them to do so but literally everyone seems to be using the hand sanitizer at the entrance.