• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

How often do they do the leg touches? Just asking because they weren't doing it when I went on it, and I have no intention of experiencing the attraction again.

Took me years to actually get on the ride after a few failed attempts.

No idea what year it was but it was pretty crap. The only positive was the fake gift shop scare which I had no idea existed.

The original trick was actually quite a decent effect, I have no idea why they struggled so much with it working as it wasn't complex.
Although in some respects it wasn't complex, it was difficult to design properly... and they didn't manage it.

You had a train frontage (albeit heavily stripped back, to be just the headlights and LED display) strapped to a large mechanical arm structure, that had to move at extremely high speed (to simulate what it needed to), with huge precision (there was only a small gap in the tunnel wall for the mechanism to slot through), and with huge jerk forces (i.e. it went from stationary, to high speed, to dead-stop very rapidly).

Not a small engineering feat, and sadly one that they didn't master.

When the train and the effects all worked properly (and you had decent actors) it was one of the best theme park effects out there.

even though I knew it was fake I always found myself jumping out the way with the rest of the group and actor as the train came down the tunnel.

Out of interest, is there any sign/rumour of Thorpe Park opening any new attraction for 2023 season? Or will be be the same as 2019, 2020 and 2022 - a big nuffink?

Bit off topic, but With TWD The Ride being 5 years old next year, how long do you think X will hold The IP until a new theme is implemented? It's really unpopular, badly recieved mostly, and has a target audience demographic that really won't satisfy the majority of Guests under that age.

Bit off topic, but With TWD The Ride being 5 years old next year, how long do you think X will hold The IP until a new theme is implemented? It's really unpopular, badly recieved mostly, and has a target audience demographic that really won't satisfy the majority of Guests under that age.
Pretty much until the deal for the IP expires, ending it now likely means spending more just to rip up the original contract so letting it expire like what happened with Charlie is one that won't cost them anything even though the park would rather see it gone yet don't won't to spend a dime about doing it until then.

Wow… that was unexpected. Given how much they allegedly spent on it, 6 years is not a long lifespan at all.

I wonder what they might replace it with, if it is going?

On a side note; could DBGT possibly be the most expensive attraction per operating season ever built? If the rumoured budget of £30m is correct, the ride cost £5m for each season it operated…

If the rumoured budget of £30m is correct, the ride cost £5m for each season it operated…
The initial cost of the attraction was £13m. Is the other £17m covered by the Rise of the Demon retheme and the total maintenance cost?