• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

From reading the website, it does sound as though live actors are still a part of the experience, but the VR is gone, as is the Derren Brown IP.

Interestingly, the answer to the question of “Has the ride experience changed much?” is:
Yes, Ghost Train features an entirely new storyline and special effects.

Last edited:
For me the biggest fails of DBGT were the awful story line (fracking, really?) and the faff of the VR. It sounds as though this update will address both of those issues, so it’s promising. Let’s see what they have come up with.

It’s probably not a strong enough pull to personally get me to endure a day at Thorpe but I will be interested to hear from others how the changes have been received.

Kind of sad I never got to do DB:GT, I've only been 3 times since it opened; twice it was broken and the last time was just me and the kids.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the system, guess it must involve screens in the train? or just darkness and noise like an audio experience?

Always had actors (and staff touching your knees) so that's no major change.

Wonder what changes will be made to the ride portion. Or will they just put some actors in there and call it a day?

Main issue with retro-removing things that the ride was intrinsically designed to have.

Always had actors (and staff touching your knees) so that's no major change.

Wonder what changes will be made to the ride portion. Or will they just put some actors in there and call it a day?

Main issue with retro-removing things that the ride was intrinsically designed to have.
Wonder if they'll put screens and n the windows like on Hogwarts at Universal Orlando?

You know this is precisely what will happen – the retheme will amount to turning out the lights and having a couple of people they’ve found on StarNow go “boo” at you.

The point’s been made before, but I’m absolutely dumbstruck that since Derren Brown opened some *seven* years ago, the only new ride Thorpe’s had between then and now is a relocated frog hopper. It truly beggars belief – and regardless of the fact a new rollercoaster’s on its way, that Merlin thinks a very loose (and no doubt cheap) reworking of an unpopular white elephant is adequate investment after years and years of nothing says all you need to know.

I mean, it’s truly truly laughable.

Thing is the system wasn’t designed to have screen built in where the windows are.

There might not be physical space for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is the system wasn’t designed to have screen built in where the windows are.

There might not be physical space for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get leek signs down there and call it a day!

But in all honesty I hope this re-working sorts out all of the issues with it over the years but I’m very sceptical. Looks like UV paint is gonna play a part from the video

You know this is precisely what will happen – the retheme will amount to turning out the lights and having a couple of people they’ve found on StarNow go “boo” at you.

The point’s been made before, but I’m absolutely dumbstruck that since Derren Brown opened some *seven* years ago, the only new ride Thorpe’s had between then and now is a relocated frog hopper. It truly beggars belief – and regardless of the fact a new rollercoaster’s on its way, that Merlin thinks a very loose (and no doubt cheap) reworking of an unpopular white elephant is adequate investment after years and years of nothing says all you need to know.

I mean, it’s truly truly laughable.
Worth pointing out that it is also a really bad froghopper which sounds weird but its not even exciting for kids.

Official Rankings of UK Merlin Frog Hoppers:
Scarab Bouncers LLW
Bouncy Bottom Burp AT
Peter Rabbit AT
....a big gap....
Treetop Hoppers CWoA
High Striker TP