• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Probably a flat to replace slammer/samurai. Dont know what though. And yesterday my mate went on a school trip to Thorpe,all the queues were 100 mins + ???

It seems Thorpe still can't cope with crowds then. Though I guess that since they're 4 attractions down on last year at the moment (with Storm Surge, Slammer, Saw Alive, Time Voyagers and Canada Creek Railroad all closed) there is a major shortage of support rides.

My issue with Thorpe has always been that on peak days you can have an utterly rubbish day out. I had hoped Swarm would help ease the pressure on other rides, but the closure of 3 attractions since last year has undermined that.

It seems it doesnt help if they open all the rides on only one train. I dont understand why they dont open them on more, they surely must know its going to be busy, espeically around this time of year with school trips.

Whats wrong with Storm Surge? (apart form being rubbish :p)

In other Thorpe Park news, I have just noticed this on their website which I dont think has been mentioned before:
Ride&Rave
26 August, park admission from 4 pm

Exclusive sets from Pendulum (DJ set), Tinchy Stryder, Rudimental and more!

Don’t miss out on being at this year’s hottest end of summer party as THORPE PARK presents Ride&Rave!

On 26th August brave some of Europe’s most extreme rides including the UK’s first winged rollercoaster, THE SWARM, before experiencing an incredible evening of live music as some of today’s top acts - including Pendulum (DJ set), Tinchy Stryder, and Rudimental - perform live in the Park!

Line up
Pendulum (DJ set) // Tinchy Stryder // Rudimental
Skepta // The Wideboys // Majestic

Time
Park admission will be allowed from 4pm, giving you access to some of Europe’s most extreme rides!

From 7pm, only guests attending the evening event will be allowed to join queue lines. Ride queue lines will shut at 8pm allowing the party to kick off on stage afterwards.

VIP Ticket: £35
Early Bird Ticket: £20 (Limited time only!)
Standard Ticket: £25

Im guessing these kind of music events must be doing quite well for Thorpe, They now have the under 18 club nights and over 18 club nights, both of which I think have happened, and more are happening next month, plus they now have this music event.

One of the lift belts slid off last week and it's still not reopened. Photo from Pleasure Beach Experience:

P1030520.jpg

Storm surge belongs in the bin or legoland,not thorpe. :/

Oh dear lol ;)

Storm Surge wasn't a good investment for Thorpe. Only went on it once last year just to see what it was like and safe to say, it was not amazing - I know me and my friend were not impressed aha.

djtruefitt said:
It seems it doesnt help if they open all the rides on only one train. I dont understand why they dont open them on more, they surely must know its going to be busy, espeically around this time of year with school trips.

Queues = fast track sales = profit at the expense of guest experience.

Someone will now post that Thorpe don't engineer queues for you to pay your way out of, while more and more people notice they do.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed with Thorpe. I visited for the first time yesterday and was astounded by the lack of attention to detail. Little things like peeling paint, dodgy effects and general cleanliness. Don't get me wrong, I loved the rides and for the market it caters for it is great. But I was really struggling to distinguish areas themes. I mean it is obvious what the swarm islands theme is and Canada creek, but the rest of the park kind of blends into a collage of tacky themeing. I suppose its not thorps fault due to the size of the park and they have done a Stirling job with what they have. But it just highlighted why I love Alton so much, the immersive environments of Alton just trump anything Thorpe can possibly offer. For example, Katanga canyon, when you are in this par of the park you are IN this part of the park. Where as at Thorpe if you are in amity cove you are a stones throw from everything else. Thorpe leaves allot to be desired, the immersive atmosphere is a key element to a theme park, otherwise all you have is a fun fair on a larger scale.

I really don't like the sounds of these queues that many people are talking about. I was going to go over summer but if they're controlling the queues to make them as long as possible then I don't want to go.

My first trip ever to Thorpe Park was ruined last year because of many rides weren't operating or broken, Stealth kept on breaking down (literally every 15 or so minutes), effects on rides weren't working (most notably on Saw), most of the eateries were closed and the ones that were open had horrendous queues, queues for rides were far too long (three hours for Saw, two for Colossus, although the queue for Colossus wasn't helped by the fact that the staff were being a slow as possible and two many people were attempting to get on the ride when they couldn't fit or weren't tall enough) and the toilets were appalling.
Never again.

John said:
One of the lift belts slid off last week and it's still not reopened. Photo from Pleasure Beach Experience:

P1030520.jpg

Not really sure that Rolf Harris fits with all the 'Nation's Thrill Capital' branding personally.

One of the biggest problems is that Thorpe Park has become too popular, it's a very small park compared to Alton Towers which means that queues simply do not spread out as well as they would at Alton Towers. I'd go as far to say that The whole of Thorpe Park is under a third of that of Alton Towers, with nearly as many attractions.

I went last year at the end of August, the Monday after the bank holiday, and the queues were nowhere near as bad as they've been. On the flipside however, at least they are busy, Merlin need some busy days just to offset all the wet and vile weather we've been having.

If Thorpe have nearly as many attractions that Towers then the queues should be similar, if they ran them at capacity which they don't. Sure Towers can lose more people on the paths between rides but then again Towers usually get a million more visitors than Thorpe do that would counter that affect.

At Towers only Air and Oblivion will drop capacity when not needed. Oblivion because it has a huge often unneeded through-put and Air because they genuinely save money when 2 stations are not needed. I don't get why the likes of The Swarm benefit from going down to one train (except due to technical errors).

Sounds strongly like queue management to me to get more FastTrack, if Towers started doing that i would finally give up.

I'd like to think that Thorpe Park wouldn't stoop so low as to increase queue times, in fact I don't believe they would. Personally I think it's down to technical hitches rather than something deliberate, perhaps I'm being very naive.

I imagine it'd be down to engineers being overstretched, or budget cutting of staff, than to deliberately increase queue times.

Everyone knows queues create unhappy people, who are less likely to enjoy their day, rave about their day on social media, and then return. They wouldn't be utterly silly.

thefatone said:
I imagine it'd be down to engineers being overstretched, or budget cutting of staff, than to deliberately increase queue times.

So why then do they go up to 2 train operation once the queue's get long as has been reported a number of times?

Conveniently fixed all of the second trains around the park? It's worryingly suspicious is all i think people are saying.

Perhaps they just did their 2nd train checks after the ride opened, and then once engineers have sorted with them, the rides team put them on the track when it suits them? (ie, when they can be bothered).

They used to do this sometimes at the other parks a few years back, having them ready around half hour after ride opening, however being added when the staff thought they really needed them again.

Starting on one train has been a long standing thorpe "initiative", at least they definitely did it when I was visiting a lot back in the mid 00s. Maybe it's just more noticable right now whilst its busy schools/weekends?

thefatone said:
Perhaps they just did their 2nd train checks after the ride opened, and then once engineers have sorted with them, the rides team put them on the track when it suits them? (ie, when they can be bothered).

They used to do this sometimes at the other parks a few years back, having them ready around half hour after ride opening, however being added when the staff thought they really needed them again.

Starting on one train has been a long standing thorpe "initiative", at least they definitely did it when I was visiting a lot back in the mid 00s. Maybe it's just more noticable right now whilst its busy schools/weekends?

Could it not be that staff are told to hold back the second train until it is absolutely required?

If one park in Merlin can manage to maintain capacity from opening then they all should, even Chessington doesn't play games like that.

I imagine that most peoples purchase of fast track is made on the day when they can see how busy it is, rather than in advance on the off chance.

If you walk in, get on Stealth, Swarm and Inferno in the first hour or so (which is very do-able even on a busy day if your first in and they are not playing these games) before it gets too busy, are you really going to buy fast track later when you can get everything done even with Saw and Colossus 60min+ later on?

Slow everyone down with reduced capacity while it is quite though and suddenly that few quid to skip a queue or two later seems a lot more worth while.

There is no way they should be opening on reduced capacity when they know it is going to be busy, whether that reason is a money making rouse or that their operations are so poor the trains aren't ready. Neither are acceptable.

Dave said:
If one park in Merlin can manage to maintain capacity from opening then they all should, even Chessington doesn't play games like that.

Only because Chessie don't allow their staff to put trains on/off manually (mainly as it's all manual button pressing and what-not)...

Either way, I don't really understand why they do open their coasters with one train first thing... LET'S DELAY THE LONG QUEUE BY MORE BY FAFFING WITH THE SECOND TRAIN YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Just meh... Thorpe's operations have a lot to be desired....