• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

I did like Chessington's tactics.
I remember queing for Vampire, and when everyone was sat down, the operator started counting from 10, with all the staff rushing around closing and checking seatbelts. When they weren't all done by the time she reached 0, she opened all the seatbelts, and started again.
It was a great tactic. I think that they should try this at Thorpe. I did find it that alot of the staff would just wander around chatting with people sitting waiting to be checked. And when everyone was done up, the operator may just sit there talking and not concentrating, whilst the staff stood there with their thumbs up waiting to be noticed.

Thorpe was certainly starting off this season (April and May) with The Swarm, Inferno and Colossus on two trains. I find it difficult to believe they would have cut down on engineering/maintenance staff halfway through the season and thus could no longer start with two train operation.

It does sound a bit strange, on all my visits earlier on in the year pretty much every ride opened on all trains, now its starting to get busy they are runnin rides on less trains.

Not only do Thorpe start the day on minimal capacity, but even when they do add second trains later on, they often remove them again once the queue has gone down.

Are Thorpe Park allergic to running their rides properly/efficiently? What on earth are they doing, not using their other trains at this point in the season? There should be two on Swarm, Inferno, Stealth and Colossus from the beginning of the day to the very end. :-\

Thorpe Park

Could this simply be nothing to do with Fastrack but rather it's Thorpe's version of one of the many cuts Towers have faced this year? Many things have changed (or attempted to have been changed) since the start of the season and maybe this is a change demanded by management - to reduce running costs.

It seems ridiculous but then so many decisions across Merlin parks HAVE been ridiculous this year.

mrbrightside said:
Could this simply be nothing to do with Fastrack but rather it's Thorpe's version of one of the many cuts Towers have faced this year? Many things have changed (or attempted to have been changed) since the start of the season and maybe this is a change demanded by management - to reduce running costs.

It seems ridiculous but then so many decisions across Merlin parks HAVE been ridiculous this year.

It's not that the cuts across the parks have been ridiculous (although some have been a little... perplexing), it's the fact that Merlin have gone back on most of their decisions on what to cut that has been odd.

dominoes said:
I did like Chessington's tactics.
I remember queing for Vampire, and when everyone was sat down, the operator started counting from 10, with all the staff rushing around closing and checking seatbelts. When they weren't all done by the time she reached 0, she opened all the seatbelts, and started again.
Sorry, but I did have to pick up on this... using Vampire as an example for good throughput techniques? Really??

This is the coaster who's operations have over time become so poor, that they've had to permanently moved away from three-train operation, and the awesome near-duelling effect it has :p

Edit: Though having re-read the post carefully (must've stumbled first time), it actually sounds like an incredibly faffy and time-wasting technique, re-opening the restraints. That's an attentive op, and one who's trying to keep their staff engaged, but not one trying to increase throughput.

Thorpe have added New loggers leap boats. 2 new boats allowing guest 1.1 meters tall to ride. I find it amazing that Thorpe have actually done this.

djtruefitt said:
Is that the same as what towers have done this year? So smaller people can ride?
Wasnt sure just saw it on thorpes website found it great that it allows younger guest to ride

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this; it looks like The Swarm is seeing some POST-opening themeing additions. I know I was shocked as well when I heard.

hole.jpg

There are more pictures but the Roller Coaster Xtreme website is currently down so I can't link to them.

And Adz over at TTF has confirmed that it is a new piece of theming although he hasn't said exactly what.

Great news but I imagine they always wanted this, rather than a genuine "let's spend some more money" scenario.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tim said:
And Adz over at TTF has confirmed that it is a new piece of theming although he hasn't said exactly what.

My money is on an upturned ambulance :)

Of course, I'd rather they put money into revamping the older rides rather than add something to an area which to me doesn't need much more added in...

It's good to see but really, does the Swarm area need anything extra? Rather than say some other ride at that park getting new theming or a revamp?

It's great that Thorpe Park are actually improving upon one of their rides, albeit new, in terms of theming but I do also feel that the money would be better spent on revamping an old ride (Hi X!) or even begin investment on a new ride in the Swarm area. It's a bit strange considering how Thorpe hasn't done that well this season too.

Thorpe Park

It's interesting though that this year seems to be the year of Merlin re-visiting attractions once they open. Terry and Ice Age have both receive extra attention since opening, now The Swarm has too... They might not be going back and maintaining older rides, but continuing to add detail to new ones is certainly a start.

599946_4280686985506_1672505567_n.jpg

Here's the ambulance implemented in the space, credit to Wilsy, and I have to say I'm really impressed by the balancing act going on at the rear. If it only it had a slowly tilting back/forth regime with doors endlessly clapping open and shut :p