• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

I'm probably going to be shot for my opinion on Fright Nights.

Oh well.

Fright Nights this year was a fantastic event, offering a great evening of thrills, the whole park seemed very lively, with staff being in a very friendly and cheerful mood, working hard and efficiently which is great to see!
So, my reviews. I'll only be concentrating on reviewing the mazes as that's what I'm interested in so if you want ride reviews... GO RIDE THE DAMN THING.

These will be in order of my own preference:

Blair Witch Project (Scare Zone):

Before actually visiting Fright Nights, I had heard a lot of bad things about Blair Witch, which didn't surprise me as I actually find the film very dull, despite being such a horror film icon and practically the birth of the awful handycam genre.

So I went into Blair With with exceedingly low expectations, however I don't think this affected what I actually thought of the maze in the end.

Here's the heretics statement "This attraction, was fantastic."

Now before you rant, rage and throw tables around, hear me out. Blair Witch relies on tension, it relies not on your fear, but on your expectation of fear. So as such, the Scare Zone sets out to do just that.

The Attraction starts off with you being batched into groups of... Your Group, I was with 4 other people, so our group of 5 went in as a 5, You may consider this menial and with no reason for mention. BUT ALAS, You would be wrong. I don't think I've seen many horror films where 10+ of you are being chased by a murderer/ghost/entity/serial killer/thing, It is usually a small group of people who are eventually picked off one by one.

Well that latter doesn't happen, but the former does, Smaller groups WORK, they really do. As such this does lengthen the queue and you could be waiting upward of 60 minutes. However, don't let this detract from whether you queue for it.

So, on with the idea, You walk down a pitch black pathway, the floor is very uneven and as such you need to try to pay attention to both the surroundings and where you step. You will pass tents and various hanging objects. I don't want to spoil too much of the happenings, but the tension slowly builds and the actors play on this a lot, which works so well. You will eventually reach a 'Deserted Cabin' What happens in here is a surprise, but it is likely to make you jump out of your skin.

Again, I don't want to spoil too much of the maze as it really relies on tension and saying the happenings would absolutely ruin that aspect.

All in all, I would give Blair Witch a numbered rating of 8/10.

Intensity Rating: Less Intense more Tense.

My Bloody Valentine (Scare Maze):

Having seen My Bloody Valentine, I knew much of the story already, I knew what was likely to appear and what direction the maze would take.

I was right.

Being situated within the old Experiment 10 Containers, the maze followed much the same route, I have heard others say that MBV is just a recycled Experiment 10, Well... Yes and No. It's the same route, but certainly not the same maze, it's very different and if you look properly, you'll realise.

The Maze doesn't follow the same story of My Bloody Valentine apart from the Valentines Day Murder idea, if you don't know the story, basically there was a guy, he went mental, killed lots of people on valentines day, ripped their hearts out and then sent the hearts to the families of the victims. Nasty stuff.

Experience wise, you will be dragged into an abandoned and dangerous mine, you will be told some of the story and be told to move on into the mines, as you do you will feel tense, unsure of whether to look behind or not, this is fantastic, and I love the way they've played on real fears rather than forced ones. There are a few different scenes but again, like Blair Witch, explaining them really ruins the tension.

My only criticism... The finale. It really didn't feel as great as Experiment 10's. However, the rest of the maze was much better.

Also the V'gin had hands. ACTUAL HANDS.

Overall, I give My Bloody Valentine a 7/10.

Intensity Rating: Very Intense

The Asylum (Scare Maze):

The Asylum, was much like last year, strobes, chain link fences and lots of crazy people.

However, it felt MUCH longer, Actors were on top form disappearing out of my sight, suddenly appearing and generally acting fantastically.

The final corridor was much improved, with curtains and drapes obscuring what appears at the end.

There's not a lot you can say about The Asylum, It's a classic and one of my all time greats, this year however, it was beaten from pole position by newer and more intense mazes.

I give The Asylum a 7/10.

Intensity Rating: Quite Intense

Cabin in the Woods (Scare Maze Maze):

Hmmmm... I had high expectations, I was excited and very nervous. All Nerves were lost when we entered our first door. Bush Monster?

I REALLY REALLY wanted this to be great, It was great in a way, but it just didn't seem... perfect. I loved the themeing, I loved the Actors, I loved the Maze, I didn't like the fact that there were about 50 (Huge exaggeration, more like 5) other groups inside pushing and shoving their way around, allowing us to see scares coming up.

However, the actors really did their best and I did jump a few times, I was grabbed and the actors generally seemed very touchy feely.

One other criticism from me would be the 'Monsters' from the film. I really wanted some to appear, but all I saw was some flashing screens displaying pictures of them. Disappointing, but what can you do? Costumes would likely be too high budget.

I'll be giving Cabin in the Woods a 5/10, the whole multiple doors thing just didn't work with so many groups going around.

Intensity Rating: Mild

Saw: Alive (Scare Maze):

Well... Saw.

It was better.

That's really all I can say.

The beginning was more intense than ever before, The ending was a bit more boggling, and the actors really seemed to want to escape their traps. So all in all, it was better.

Yeah, That's it... Just better.

5/10

Intensity Rating: High

You're Next (Roaming Actors):

I don't think Roaming Actors work unless they're across the whole park. That is all.

Oh, apart from the fact I think it would have worked better as a maze, think Boiler House.

So yeah... 2/10, Nothing to fault with the actors, they seemed to be trying their best to chase people, but nothing really happened to our group.

Intensity Rating: Not.

What's all this talk of an RMC for Thorpe that I've heard on recent meets, and why do I get the impression it's complete rubbish (wouldn't complain if it's true, but I'm very dubious about it at the moment)? :p

Someone mentioned on Facebook that they'd heard from "upper management" somewhere or other that an RMC is on the cards for Thorpe. God knows if it's true though.

:)

I don't want an RMC. I would much prefer a proper Woodie than one of these hybrids.

An RMC seems quite likely at Thorpe, but I don't think there's anything in this rumour. Someone has just worked out the most likely next coaster at the park, like any of us could, and presented it as a 'rumour'.

An RMC is likely at Thorpe because they're relatively cheap (relative to Swarm and Smiler, this is a plus for Merlin) and because it'd fit into their 'image' perfectly - something seen as old and dull given an extreme modern twist.

If the individual parks were eager to build woodies before, but Merlin were reluctant due to them usually not having a Unique Selling Point, then RMC have provided the answer. The logical conclusion is that an RMC is quite likely at a Merlin park.

BigAl said:
What's all this talk of an RMC for Thorpe that I've heard on recent meets, and why do I get the impression it's complete rubbish (wouldn't complain if it's true, but I'm very dubious about it at the moment)? :p

The rumour has come from someone who is known to be rather 'economic with the truth', shall I say.

Its interesting that we are now in November, the park has closed yet there has been no mention, plans or hint of anything new for next year yet.

That's a very good point! There surely has to be something, especially as there wasn't anything new last year. Swarm backwards does not count.

Especially considering this supposed increase in focus on families! You'd think that they would be plugging family stuff? Of course it's an awkward time to plug families with CBeebies Land opening at Towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Isn't it mainly the Crash Pad extension?

They probably don't have any big plans for next year since they will want to get their family branding sorted.

Even with CBeebies opening at Towers, that is clearly aimed at very young children. Thorpe seem to be aiming for families with older children, what they need is some really good dark ride, like Hex or a haunted house style ride. That will appeal to all ages and not just people who want thrills. They of course do have the 4D Cinema which could be open next year with a new family film, and then there is also Saw Alive and the railway, both of which could open and cost nothing.

I get the impression that the development at Thorpe Park has gone to pot.

They just seem to do practically NOTHING on the years when there isn't a major coaster.

We've had Flying Fish re-opening, Storm Scourge, X refurb, Swarm backwards... - not exactly things to get anyone genuinely excited.

djtruefitt said:
They of course do have the 4D Cinema which could be open next year with a new family film...
AFAIK the 4D cinema has been dismantled, so it's not a cheap case of just re-opening it.

This is my issue with Thorpe and why it fails completely in my book, it builds decent (if sometimes a bit bland *cough*Swarm*cough*) coasters but does nothing in-between those installations.

Crashpad is not investment.... its some decorated shipping containers!!!!

I really thought they'd have got at least one new family ride next year. It's a shame that it doesn't appear to be the case. The investments between major investment years at Thorpe are shocking.

I wouldnt write them off just yet, still time for something to be announced!

There was a big skip outside the back of the old Pirates building during fright nights full of old stuff from there, not to sure what to make of that!

Oh indeed there's plenty of time - however they've now missed the opportunity to advertise on park at the end of the season.

If Merlin wonders why Thorpe is such a mess in terms of visitor figures they only need to look at their levels of investment. Transforming the brand is one thing (and I look forward to seeing how that continues next season) but they need to be adding support rides and attractions in other years too. As was posted above, when there hasn't been a coaster built recently there has been next to nothing put into the park.

Nothing new = drop in visitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Does a park NEED something new to keep guest numbers up though?

There's no denying that Smiler boosted Towers' numbers this year, but what about all the issues surrounding it? How many will return next year?

It's just as much about providing a quality product than it is building something new, something our parks should learn...