• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

I did a similar package at Kings Island a few years ago for about $300 a head...

Worth every penny too, especially the walking around the backstage of Beast whilst it was operating...

A load of enthusiasts will do the Lift-hill walk/workshop tour though... That much is certain...

Benzin said:
A load of enthusiasts will do the Lift-hill walk/workshop tour though... That much is certain...

They may do, but £50 for one thing is a total rip off. I'd expect behind the scenes of all coasters and/or going up multiple lift hills for that. I hope they don't sell and are forced to drop the price to something far more sensible.

:)

Considering many members on here have had free lift hill walks in the past, £50, if anything, is an utter joke.

Rob said:
Benzin said:

They may do, but £50 for one thing is a total rip off. I'd expect behind the scenes of all coasters and/or going up multiple lift hills for that. I hope they don't sell and are forced to drop the price to something far more sensible.

:)

Oh I don't disagree that the £50 is a very high price for this and it's something I won't personally be partaking in, but when you see that TPM are being offered a 2 for 1 deal on these things then there's at least some market for it...

I will be very interested to see how much uptake they get on all of these over the next year...

Stupidly priced

And as they have no dark rides what is there "backstage"? Coaster garages are not all that interesting!

Non of their lift hills go that high either, I can use my MAP and go up Blackpool tower, it's 5 times higher than any of the lift hills at Thorpe!

Only Merlin can sell mediocre as VIP, they are lay-by greasy spoon of the theme park world!

To be fair at the backend of last season i saw a fair few large groups being taken around in this way, so whilst expensive in our opinion, some people obviously feel its worth it.

Thorpe have also offered a special deal on these for TPM to get the tour and a lift walk for £50 which is pretty popular!

No backstage event should cost more than £30, it barely costs the park to do it!

Busch Williamsburg offer everything Thorpe are for about £35 and there's includes rides that have lift hills a lot higher than Thorpe and a world class dark ride to look behind the scenes of.

When you put it like that it dont sound great value, but this is a pretty new thing for the park / Merlin and im sure the prices will change to hit the sweet spot of what people think is value for money be it less / the same / more.

IMO its nice to see a UK theme park try new things like this ontop of all the other efforts theyve made this season.

It is nice to see a UK park doing it, and it will be interesting to see how well it goes for them. However i'm unsure what behind the scenes stuff there really is too see? Maybe a look at Saw inside or some techie areas, but they haven't got the likes of Hex, Duel or Charlie to look round.

I agree, you could look around the work shops / stealths bunker but not much else I guess. Still interesting to see what they do offer.

The lift walks I feel could be good - 125ft on the swarm isn't to shabby and offers some good views of London / the park

Dave said:
Merlin... they are lay-by greasy spoon of the theme park world!

Genuinely lol'd at that one!

The price is really really crazy when taken alone, but like every single thing Merlin ever do it is clearly a price that is there to be discounted, to make it acceptable (not outstanding or special) value at BOGOF and clearly not a genuine 'deal'. It is the only way they know how to do promotions sadly and I hate it. If only they would just offer some genuine good value instead.

I think people are very harsh on Merlin. For all their faults things like the annual pass are actually very good value for money.

Like most things if you jump in and do no research then yeah it's expensive but with some thought you can get a good value day out IMO.

As long as you know the system, Merlin parks are good value.

But the system stinks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

simps100 said:
I think people are very harsh on Merlin. For all their faults things like the annual pass are actually very good value for money.

Like most things if you jump in and do no research then yeah it's expensive but with some thought you can get a good value day out IMO.

That's not just a Merlin thing though, can say exactly the same thing about Disney...

Difference is that Disney parks tend to have a bit more quality within...

Ouch indeed! I paid £50 for a 5 hour backstage tour of Magic Kingdom with lunch thrown in! I honestly don't know how Thorpe can justify those prices.

So. Are Thorpe actually doing ANYTHING for 2014 worth discussing? Or is it going to be yet another year of not very much.

Lick of paint is probably most exciting thing that could happen

In either:
Lost city (YES PLEASE!!)
Calypso Quay
Amity Cove?
Canada Creek

Probably a year of nothing.

No announcement at all of anything for 2014. Although some TLC for some areas of the park would be wonderful.