• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

It looks cheap and tacky in the pictures. If they had not put the screen in, it might have looked a bit more acceptable but the big screen in the middle is obviously for advertising and will obviously break and never be fixed. Good job Thorpe.

We can hope that this is just a short-term upgrade for the entrance before they completely redevelop it to coincide with the opening of a proper hotel around 2017.

But you never know with Thorpe Park (or any Merlin park for that matter), it could stay this way for another decade plus.

Reactions: Vik
It's a shame... Putting the time and effort into building a tate modern piece outside of a hotel only for it to be removed a few years later (Please say it gets removed a few years later)

Meanwhile...

10439333_10154306610665624_512828302944663807_n.jpg

Shame they've made this look awful, as I liked the conceptual idea...

Oh dear it really does look a mess! Also I know they're having to do it whilst the hotel is open but it's still not finished, it's taking longer to build than The Smiler!!

:)

If this had been like the concept art then perhaps it could have been a nice addition but this just looks awful.. I feel like Thorpe are trying to hard to build an image for themselves however they are making all of the wrong decisions in doing so. I have only visited this park once and that is because they have never done anything that would warrant a return visit from me!

Why oh why did they not go for the boardwalk concept with the helter skelter? :(

Having said that, The Shark concept looked good in the artwork.

Wow.

How can the same park come up with such a fantastic strapline and then build this monstrosity.

Dear god. That thing is hideous. I swear the concept showed it being built attached to the side of the containers? Maybe giving a reason why they're made of metal.

Anyway, I just hope this waste of space gets removed soon. :)

I think this was mentioned a few weeks back, but this summer Thorpe are having a wave surfer on the beach. It is currently being installed. No idea if this will be free or paid?

Photo from TPM:
10440829_10154310454305624_8647594913689352397_n.jpg

Is that one of those body boarding things like they have in waterparks?

If so, why? Who goes to Thorpe with their swimming costume, and who would want to waste time on that when the queues for the rides will be disgustingly long because Thorpe don't know what throughput means?

Is that one of those body boarding things like they have in waterparks?

If so, why? Who goes to Thorpe with their swimming costume, and who would want to waste time on that when the queues for the rides will be disgustingly long because Thorpe don't know what throughput means?

Id guess because people want things to do which are not rides?

Over July / August (depending on weather) this sort of thing will be great when the parks open till 10 for summer nights

As for the swimming costume I'm sure they will provide wet suits or something to wear.

They are really fun as I had a go at xscape. They provide full swim suits as if you land in your trunks you could get injured they said although I don't think that is true. Knowing merlin you'll have to pay for it as they are really popular and bring in a lot of money.

Hold on a minute, isn't the beach supposed to be exclusively for families with younger children?

Why on earth then are they installing a wave surfer that will only appeal to teenagers; seems daft to me.

This really has become the year of cheap gimmicks and corner cutting for Thorpe Park "Resort".

Are there changing rooms near the beach? I've never really paid much attention to it!

For a summer addition, this will probs be alright, expect it to be upcharge too...

Eh, doesn't bother me in the slightest... Let's just hope they have tonnes of wet-suits and a sufficient cleaning method...

Compared to the shark and even ABL I don't think this is too bad. It's a fun little addition and makes a change from knocking each other off a pole with giant ear cleaners.

I can imagine it will prove to be a bit of a spectacle as well, something people will just want to watch - the wetsuit idea though, at Thorpe.... that doesn't appeal.