• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I just found a rather... intriguing rumour on Screamscape regarding Black Mirror Labyrinth, or more specifically, its long-term future at Thorpe Park.

The rumour that Screamscape has posted is that despite Black Mirror not even having opened yet... the park is already devising a retheme for it, to the video game Among Us:
“Screamscape” said:
2021 - Black Mirror Labyrinth - (2/21/21) While Thorpe Park will be ready to open their new Black Mirror Labyrinth experience in Spring 2021 (with the park currently hoping to open to guests on March 27), there is a rumour going around that the Black Mirror concept could be short lived. Black Mirror was built to replace the park’s The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare walk-thru attraction that was open for three years and was expected to open in 2020 but was delayed due to COVID.
As this may be an example of one temporary attraction replacing another, the latest rumour suggests there may have been talks of a future re-theme that could be tied into the video game, “Among Us”. Since Black Mirror has yet to open to guests, I guess it could come down to how long of a deal Thorpe Park signed to use that IP and if the popularity of the game would remain high long enough to outlive the Black Mirror contract. So consider this a rumor for now of course.
Here’s Screamscape’s Thorpe page, for a little more context: https://www.screamscape.com/html/thorpe_park.htm

Very, very interesting rumour, and it does certainly raise questions about the long-term future of Black Mirror at the park if true.

I think the rumoured IP choice is quite strong, as even though I’ve never played Among Us, it seems very popular among people my age, so provided it maintains its popularity, it could be pretty successful!

I’ll admit I do think that if true, it’s a very strange decision given that Black Mirror isn’t even open yet, however...

It just seems symptomatic of the near-total lack of direction and ideas from Thorpe which has been evident for years. How many of their IPs have actually lasted or been successful?
To be fair to Thorpe Park, they have had some definite successes with IPs in the past, and some have lasted a fair amount of time; for example, Saw The Ride was a roaring success, and will have lasted 12 years this year, having opened in 2009. I’d argue that Angry Birds Land was fairly successful too. That will have lasted 7 years this year, having opened in 2014.

I’ll admit that some of their recent IP exploits seem to have been less than successful, however... let’s hope that Black Mirror becomes a Saw or an Angry Birds.

To be fair to Thorpe Park, they have had some definite successes with IPs in the past, and some have lasted a fair amount of time; for example, Saw The Ride was a roaring success, and will have lasted 12 years this year, having opened in 2009. I’d argue that Angry Birds Land was fairly successful too. That will have lasted 7 years this year, having opened in 2014.

I’ll admit that some of their recent IP exploits seem to have been less than successful, however... let’s hope that Black Mirror becomes a Saw or an Angry Birds.
Can't exactly disagree with any of that, in fairness. It's just frustrating that they try so many different ones, seemingly picking them at random, and not having much success with any of them for whatever reason.

Does seem odd considering that Black Mirror is yet to open, but Among Us is a great game and currently extremely popular. Will be interesting to see exactly how it's pulled off though if the rumour turns out to be true.

I don't know who came up with that idea but they should know how internet phenomena work and we will have all forgotten about Among Us by 2022 this summer

If true, they can't be too confident on the Black Mirrot attraction which isn't a good sign. We'll have to see when/if (genuinely think 'if' is an option knowing Thorpe) it opens.

I think Among Us has already peaked on the popularity chart, so it stands to reason that Thorpe would pick now to try and use it.

Do have to wonder what their development team actually do though should there be any substance to this.

Might be a case that the Black Mirror maze was only due to run for a few years and they've already lost one year on the contract. Makes sense to retheme the maze with a new IP every couple of years to get people to do it again.

9-D96-D9-E2-1-F3-C-4894-808-C-B6-A1-CA33-DFAE.png
[/url]
B45749-F1-47-F1-4-E97-9697-38-F56898-ADDA.png
[/IMG]
Vm6WK2y
Lots of tree clearing in Old Town apparently. Anything exciting we think? (From Jack Silkstone’s instagram story)

A watermark on your own Instagram story.

I do wonder about some of these people.

Well given it has been screenshotted and posted into a forum, I can see why they want to watermark.

In terms of what is happening, are they just removing and making safe Loggers Leep?

It's probably just standard good keeping of the land. Trees need to be felled for whatever reason, be it Loggers Leap being removed or because they are unsafe. I highly doubt it's anything specific considering how there is zero CAPEX for anything right now.

The video itself was clickbait. Basically just cutting down trees, but nothing about anything new.

At first glance Among Us seems a pretty terrible IP.
IMO IP's only work if it actually a) enhances the experience (Saw TR is definitely much better than certain other Eurofighters because of the theme even if it is dark and gloomy) and b) makes people want to visit (Black Mirror Labyrinth? I personally wouldn't visit because of this particular IP though I'm certain a few people would)

However, Among Us is a game where someone is an "imposter" and you have to figure out who it is (and there are many other games both online and offline out there like that but this is currently the most popular even though it's appeal is currently starting to wane). The "maze" could be rethemed to a spaceship and in a large group of strangers could be incredibly fun. I'm sure Merlin's attention to detail - given a suitable budget - in bringing the game to life would be pretty good as well which would enhance the whole experience (meeting point A above) as opposed to a standard maze based on this idea. I think given its gore-y theme it'd also work really well as a FN maze with jump scares and actors ("escape the imposter").

I personally would actually be very excited to experience this and I think it'd be much more popular than BML (meeting point B above) and it'd meet Thorpe's older family/ young adult audience quite well.
My main issue is the theme would probably feel quite shoehorned into the area when it's surrounded by so many clashing themes (just like BML would anyway). My secondary issue is how well does will Thorpe deal with the 1% of their audience who won't "play nice"/ spoil it for everyone with strangers.

This rumour is so absurd to me I just have a very hard time even remotely believing it. This particular IP is a fad game that has already lost most interest for older audiences, it's mainly just a kids game now (I even saw a kid making an among us snowman in mid Feb). Whilst still popular I can't imagine it's going to draw anyone in a few years time, if it were to actually happen it would need to come out this year.

It actually surprised me to find out Among Us came out in 2018 despite it only really getting popular late last year. I do at least like they're looking towards something that's kid friendly. However I personally can't see Among Us having that much of a lasting impact either.