• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

During the survey last year they asked if people thought of it as a fun fair/circus style carnival or more of a Mardi Gras carnival. I guess they designed to do Mardi Gras on its own and then this circus themed event separately. I’m sure the press release said they’ll be some fair ground rides too for this carnival. So let’s see if that’s still the case.

I wish colossus would get new trains with lap bars or at least better over the shoulders. Probably wouldn’t solve everything but it would help with at least some of the roughness and eliminate head banging. Until then it’s always going to be a monstrosity of a coaster in my opinion.

There are indeed. Colossus' main issue is the dreadful train design.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Totally agree. When they put in the foot stops it was so hard to get in and out of. I'm a second row rugby player so my chest and legs are big. It's such a right squeeze to get in and out and being 6ft 2 I feel so cramped when I am on.

In terms of roughness I don't find it rough or a headbanger at all. I was one of the first to ride her and although she needs new trains to make accessibility better she's still a wonder.

The days when Thorpe park changed so rapidly were amazing. Who else remembers the power 3 arriving and signalling a new park ethos? I just wish the IP in park would go and something is done with 4D.... Dam I miss captain lucky ... But the parrot (jester?) still lives on at Alton does he not?

We were spoilt when I was a teen with the new hardwear! Now thorpe seems to just be spinning it's wheels, or adding dated IP.

I will say the vibe was better in the early 00s. You had new thrill rides, alot of family and water rides but the farm via boat/train was magical. The themeing of tidal was some of the best in the country and it had fantastic open hours.

The fireworks/laser show set to the Spiderman film music I loved and we had the diving and Spiderman shows in the arena too.

It seems the day was more complete. The farm would take 90 mins of your day out and really make you spread the fun if you threw in the stunt show. It was not unusual for the park to close at 9 in August everyday. (We were there when nick Knowles was on inferno for a TV show and even got to stay till 10 I think as they kept inferno open for the tv filming).

Do you remember this period?

There are indeed. Colossus' main issue is the dreadful train design.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I’ll take that - I fit quite well into the ride, but I’ve been on it with so many people who have longer legs than me and it really doesn’t look very comfortable for them! But regardless of the uncomfortable seats for some people, I still don’t feel that the ride is ‘rough’ per se. :)

Guys I know this is the crystal ball question yet would August Bank Holiday Monday be considered fairly likely to be not too busy ?

Trouble is I will have to pay the extra as my pass isn't valid that day which I then assume I can't take any friends and family with me either on a date I pay to upgrade

Trouble is I will have to pay the extra as my pass isn't valid that day which I then assume I can't take any friends and family with me either on a date I pay to upgrade
Ah that’s annoying. I’ve got a platinum pass because I couldn’t be bothered to worry about the days I can and can’t go (I played right into Merlin’s hands 🤣). I’m not sure what the situation would be with bringing family and friends on that day though, if you did pay to upgrade. Perhaps that question has been answered on MAP’s FAQs on their website?? Not sure! Sorry!

Ah that’s annoying. I’ve got a platinum pass because I couldn’t be bothered to worry about the days I can and can’t go (I played right into Merlin’s hands 🤣). I’m not sure what the situation would be with bringing family and friends on that day though, if you did pay to upgrade. Perhaps that question has been answered on MAP’s FAQs on their website?? Not sure! Sorry!
Yes they can come with me ,just checked. It's down to if it will be quieter that day to take the risk....

Yes they can come with me ,just checked. It's down to if it will be quieter that day to take the risk....
I suppose that’s just the gamble… as I said, I’m still planning on going on that same day, as my past experiences have all been absolutely fine on that particular bank holiday! Equally it could be awful but that’s anyone’s guess haha

visited Thorpe park yesterday for the first time since 2015. Had an absolutely fantastic day, half expected huge queues due to summer holidays but the only coaster that reached 70 mins was Swarm, and that was only for around an hour or so.

There were 8 of us in our group and they all purchased the adrenaline fasttrack, I reluctantly joined them on this, however we didn’t even need to start using them until around 2pm. Weirdly enough though, the adrenaline ticket gives you 5 uses in all the big thrill coasters yet our ticket was only scanned digitally on Saw. Upon leaving we all still had 4 uses each.

First ride of the day was stealth, I was with my partner who had NEVER been on any coaster before, this would be her first cred and we did front row. Not sure wether it was the fact that I’d not ridden stealth in nearly a decade, my facial skin has become looser in my old age or they’ve made her launch legitimately faster but it felt incredible.

On to saw. Wether it’s my new found old age (now 33) or the ageing of the coaster but for me, Saw for me was FAR worse than I ever remember it, even to the point where I thought to myself “I will never go on that again”. The roughness encountered throughout the ride was borderline unbearable. Even before entering the queue I was stood watching cars enter into the first drop and couldn’t help but noticed the violent head shaking happening. riding this left me with a pounding head and a sore back for the rest of the day and really put a dampener on the rest of my visit.

I’m not going to dive into paragraphs of what we already know but my final thoughts are this: I was apprehensive about revisiting Thorpe park as I know how it can be on a bad day, but honestly?
Operations were slick.
wait times were low.
pizza/pasta buffet was actually still really good value for money at £15.50pp.
Carnival was POOR for how it was advertised but didn’t really detract from the day.
Park was very clean & tidy
Collosus was rough but I’d still take that over another ride on saw any day of the week!

Cheers,
RustyRider
Long time member, very part time poster 😂