• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

If you're on mobile it's the second button. It's an eye with a line through it.

I have a GIF
dde9496edc1514e3399e7110e3dd4dd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re using Tapatalk rather than the TST app I believe you have to manually type out the tags by entering the bbCode as follows (replace the round brackets with square ones [ ] and naturally swap the placeholders for the title and content with your actual message):

(SPOILER="Spoiler title here")
Spoiler content here.
(/SPOILER)

Anyway, back to Thorpe Park.

As John says the evidence suggests these costs are a factor as so many actor led experiences have closed.

They are low capital high revenue investments and therefore easy to cut when budgets are reduced centrally.
I think we're arguing the same point, as we often do. All rides, facilities and outlets in any given park have operating costs.

As you identify, this style of ride (another newer example in RTP would be the Jumanji maze that has gone into Gardaland this year) has a big chunk of its opex associated with supplementary staffing, over and above operational staffing.

If you need to cut your opex budget this is an easy first target because you're not going to stop buying consumables for a roller coaster (tyres/wheel coverings for example), you're not going to remove staffing from things that make you money, whether that be retail or car parking - this is the naturally the first thing to go. I think that's a frustration of enthusiasts and a core benefit of this type of installation for Merlin.

In the way that companies account now, high opex costs are not necessarily a bad thing. With interest rates rising, especially.

We went a couple of weeks ago and it had Stealth closed all day on the app but it wasn’t shut for even a moment. It’s not always accurate but that’s a bit strange to say the least.
But don't let that stop us obsessing over every five minute closure that may or may not be accurate.

I went on ghost train and I was very disappointed

Look, the preshow was alright. The whole “they took the last train” thing is such a flimsy connection. the windows shutting was cool, as well as the board that changed what it was saying - it has a name but I don’t know. The room with the train was actually quite big, so was impressed.

The bit with the train was alright. Too much explaining not enough scaring. It was just these staff arguing with each other. The train is all muddied up, which I like. It’s dark. I would fancy a good screen or two in the windows, as more scares are needed.

We get off into the crypt, and for the big scene, nothing happens. A statue turns around, and the actors pretend to get possessed, which I learnt, seems to be quite a difficult as they couldn’t do it. That’s it.

Then we get led out and then, back on the train, where there is more interpretive dance moves, and ghost that come out of the toilets. The whole room floods with UV as well as a lack of fear. The group of girls sitting next to me scared me more than the actual ride, but to be fair, being trampled by a bunch of teenage girls in trailers because of man in spooky mask is quite scary, so maybe my point is invalid!

After all the what-the-hell-is-happening-ining, the train goes dark and the “see it, say it, sort it” announcement plays, and that is so funny! I laughed so hard at that!

Shame it’s the best bit of the ride

Fake gift shop. Are you serious they traded in a huge demon for more staff doing interpretive dance moves? The guy from the pre-show (the off brand derren brown figure for the ride) comes in the to the shop and says “ITS NOT PHOTO REDEMPTION. ITS SOUL REDEMPTION”. This is comedy gold. The costumes in the cages start shaking, which did get me.

Overall not worth the hour wait. For an unreasonably complex story, there is no pay-off, frights or thrills, as it seems nothing happens. Worth 10-20 min wait. I think I like the cafe better.

I went on it a second time and I’m happier
(GO IN NOT EXPECTING TERROR.
EXPECT CHEESINESS)

Much better audience. We all clapped at the end. The thing that flies over you wasn’t working again. I also got better scares, quite a few, so sit at the end of the isles near the doors.

I understand the actual ride story a bit more, it’s fine

It’s cheesy. Yes. It’s not great. But if you like a bit of goofy fun, go in. I have found a sort of ironic enjoyment to it, and you might as well

You might also want to know what angel of death means in Latin beforehand so you understand what the conductor means.

Last edited:
Currently at Thorpe Park- haven’t been in years but started the morning very impressed with ops- Stealth was apparently ‘closed’ but got on it 3 times in a row. Host was literally shouting at people to run up the stairs to improve the throughput :DHowever, currently in a 75min Colossus queue with one train on :eek:.Hoping it’s not a colossal waste of my time. Guessing this might be linked to its recent maintenance?

Ghost train listed as a 180mim queue 5mins after it opened - hoping it’s a mistype on the app! Or Derren Brown’s hacked the app!

It's just merlin slowly standardising the replacement of under 3 with under height age restrictions across attractions.
That’s interesting… Alton Towers still appears to be under 3, from what I can see.

It’s a good idea if true, though; doing free tickets by height rather than age is much fairer, in my view.

I assume a similar policy at Alton Towers would have a lower cutoff than 1.2m, though, as the lineup is much larger for those below 1.2m than it is at Thorpe Park.

It’s a good idea if true, though; doing free tickets by height rather than age is much fairer, in my view.

I assume a similar policy at Alton Towers would have a lower cutoff than 1.2m, though, as the lineup is much larger for those below 1.2m than it is at Thorpe Park.
I think this new under 1.2 system is good. It also allows more people to come to TP free because most people reach 1.2m at around 6 years of age, which is unusual for penny-pinching Merlin!