• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Final off-season Sparkle update:
Screenshot_20240227-190445_Facebook.jpgFB_IMG_1709060690435.jpgFB_IMG_1709060694683.jpgFB_IMG_1709060704324.jpgFB_IMG_1709060707320.jpgFB_IMG_1709060716187.jpg
This looks really cool!

I love colossus’s new sign (it’s actually been one of my most anticipated fixes)

But they kind of just painted the bit that’s meant to be wood yellow? Couldn’t they paint it the same reddish-brown as the colossus sign for colour palettes sake? Small potatoes though, I love the sign

The Colossus sign work is a great example of the weird way the parks seem to work with renovations.

Some nice additions, but then painted the entire thing one colour? And a really weird yellow at that.

It's stuff like that which detracts from the actual good work these things do. It's just a shame that is has to be under a "project" rather than just being done.

2 main observations from me.

One - seems strange to build the UK’s tallest coaster but opt for your map to be a 2D top-down view meaning you don’t see the height of the new ride.

Two - they’ve very clearly put defined areas back on the map again here, but haven’t put area names on. This seems really weird?! Either commit to the themed areas or don’t have any at all. I think it makes the layout confusing as to the average guest there’s no rhyme or reason why certain rides and shops are grouped together.

In any case, Samurai and Saw now constitute one area, hence the black repaint it’s getting. The teacups are considered part of Big Easy Boulevard.

To save people clicking on links and whatnot, here is a copy of the map which Thorpe Park posted to the Passholders Facebook page:

IMG_7275.jpeg

I'm not a huge fan of this style of map, but I guess it is functional.
Wow - this couldn't be more different from the 2010 map which, whilst quite simple, is a good thing IMO. I like the new swirl logo overlayed in the background. From what I can see, though, there's no mention of any of the themed areas (Lost City, Amity Cove etc) - more focus on colour coding in line with the new visual assets following the rebrand.

If themed areas are kinda back the tea cups make more sense being part of big easy boulevard than the jungle, years ago they were part of amity cove I believe, I could be wrong.

They say that the map is 2D/simple so it’s easy to read, but 3D maps that look good and are easy to read exist for some parks.

Tea cups were given the Storm in a Tea Cup theme to fit with Amity in 2004, and had WWTP's Big Bob doing the announcements but the park always listed them under Calypso Quay for some reason. Then when they brought the areas back a few years ago they listed the tea cups under Amity. But yes they do fit much better with Big Easy Boulevard!

The 2000s maps were great, easy to read and showed off the rides in 3D (excuse the low res copy though - map from 2007)

9034549234_da6b8620e0_b.jpg

People on Facebook are pointing out that some rides have previously absent features visible on the map. I've spotted Swarm's fire effect, water in the Colossus pit and a smoking boat in the Tidal Wave lake (is that new?).

Thorpe are acting coy about whether or not these effects are actually making a return and obviously it could just be visual 'flourish', but is it foolish to hope that this is some of the 'Sparkle' they've said they're not revealing until opening?

People on Facebook are pointing out that some rides have previously absent features visible on the map. I've spotted Swarm's fire effect, water in the Colossus pit and a smoking boat in the Tidal Wave lake (is that new?).

Thorpe are acting coy about whether or not these effects are actually making a return and obviously it could just be visual 'flourish', but is it foolish to hope that this is some of the 'Sparkle' they've said they're not revealing until opening?

If that's the case they better put the back end of Inferno's volcano on, the tail of the Thorpe Shark in the water and create some form of electrical storm under Tidal Wave.

Clearly flourishes to make the map a bit more exciting. Which isn't much.

I know their social media team are trying to be cool and engaging with the fans but being coy just sets them up for failure.