• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

It's 2024. Almost EVERYONE has a smart phone. The map not only places a pin to where you are, but the direction you can face. See a ride in the distance, you can work out what it is based on the direction you are looking from the in app map.
ALMOST.
For us luddites, Thorpe just doesn't need a map.
You can see just look around the whole park from any position!
No need to look at your phone, just use your eyes to see the next lump of metal and walk in that direction.
I know the paths aren't the most direct, but you must try hard to get lost.

ALMOST.
No need to look at your phone, just use your eyes to see the next lump of metal and walk in that direction.
I know someone who has got lost at Thorpe many times. She’s managed to walk around in a massive circle looking for Nemesis Inferno (we started at the toilets near to it and went left for some unfathomable reason) and also headed off in the wrong direction for Stealth even when it was right in front of us. (There are many witnesses to that particular event.) this is with both a paper map and her phone. The chimps of today eh? What’s properly scary is she has her navigator badge from scouts! 😁

ALMOST.

I forgot you don't or didn't have a mobile @rob666. Fair play, I would struggle massively.

I do agree though, it is pretty hard to get lost at Thorpe Park, this also in my oppinion, supports the idea of you not needing the new ride to be showing as massive on the map. The park is so small, so easy to navigate, Hyperion will serve as a huge landmark and beacon on the skyline from almost any and every point within the park. Why have a map do something that the ride is clearly is going to do much better itself, in the flesh and is already doing for that matter from outside the park and much further away.

I don't know, maybe I am wrong, maybe it is personal preferences between people. I get it, but I don't fully understand it.

Hard disagree for me. The map is just as important for marketing as it is navigation IMO. A map can still be easy to follow and be 3D and attractive. See the 2007 map posted earlier.
a lot has changed since 2007, namely 3 more coasters and areas. Park maps are roughly the same size and you’d be hard pushed to fit hyperia, saw & swarm on it and all the accompanying toilets/shops etc without some serious cramming to avoid punters carrying around the Financial Times equivalent size of map!

a lot has changed since 2007, namely 3 more coasters and areas. Park maps are roughly the same size and you’d be hard pushed to fit hyperia, saw & swarm on it and all the accompanying toilets/shops etc without some serious cramming to avoid punters carrying around the Financial Times equivalent size of map!

Thorpe Park is a very small park. Since 2007, Hyperia has taken the same spot that Loggers Leap had, and Thorpe Farm has been totally removed, with the Swarm being much closer to the park - in fact, on the 2007 map the Swarm’s spot is literally just water, and Saw’s spot is taken up by an information box!

Let’s not pretend this is Europa Park (Who manage to fit their whole park on a map just fine)

I think for me it just comes down to this being a theme park, where’s the fun? That’s all. You can see the designer’s tried to inject some excitement by putting the odd thing onto the big empty grey roofs.

I know someone who has got lost at Thorpe many times. She’s managed to walk around in a massive circle looking for Nemesis Inferno (we started at the toilets near to it and went left for some unfathomable reason) and also headed off in the wrong direction for Stealth even when it was right in front of us. (There are many witnesses to that particular event.) this is with both a paper map and her phone. The chimps of today eh? What’s properly scary is she has her navigator badge from scouts! 😁

Absolutely hilarious at the time. Which direction do we go for Stealth? No, you've immediately gone the wrong way. HOW?!

I feel like everyone knows who this Rob geezer is but me? I presume some sort of map designer or artist? But it is just a map. Gone are the days of them being souvenirs. Just a functional tab on an app. What do we use them for? Navigation. This map does that so I can't get emotional over it. Whilst I understand that their pants new logo could detract visitors from the brand, I bet most punters just want to see what the park looks like and what kind of things they can ride, with the map serving as a functional tool in which to be able to do that. If you want to ride that "big coaster over there", the map guides you to it.

“What would be the perfect film for our refreshed, brightly-coloured, happy-go-lucky new area of the park?”
“I’ve got it - a short based on a six-year old movie centered on an orphan battling an evil corporation.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

Not my cup of tea either but to be fair they’ve purposely themed the cinema to an actual cinema, so doesn’t really matter if the film is a different theme. And means they can change out the film more often - this film might only last a couple of years.

The refreshments are looking very half assed with just a few weeks to go. For example, if you’re not going to resurface the path for something like this literally why bother ?

The lack of attention is what really is letting this “Sparkle Project” down. If your budget isn’t enough to execute the vision then cut the ideas that will just look naff

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 122
The refreshments are looking very half assed with just a few weeks to go. For example, if you’re not going to resurface the path for something like this literally why bother ?

The lack of attention is what really is letting this “Sparkle Project” down. If your budget isn’t enough to execute the vision then cut the ideas that will just look naff
Agreed, the road markings looks so bad I'm fairly shocked they got the go ahead from management. Slapdash, sadly.