• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Wow, it really does just look like piles of shipping containers! I really dont understand why they didnt clad the outside, even put a bit of a roof on it. Then no one would ever notice they are shipping containers!

I can only hope that due to them in essence renting them they haven't been able to improve he decor?! They look appalling. I thought they'd look fine if dull but these are actually offensive

Dar said:
BigAl said:
OOooooooohhhh....

Is that the sound people make when they see it for the first time?

Aaaaaahhhhhhh....
Swiftly followed by the sound they make as they run to the refund desk?

What's got into you today Dar lol?

Another absolute classic ;D

Perhaps it is more suitable as an "ARRRRRGHHHHH"? The noise Guest Services will be making as droves of customers stream for the desk with pitchforks and torches!

Oh my.

They are truly horrendous. Absolutely horrible. They genuinely look like portable toilet blocks (like the ones used at Alton fireworks) stacked on top of each other.

How can a company claiming to be 'second only to Disney' offer this? Oh dear.

It gets worse!

All you detractors complaining about having no window, you're wrong. The window can clearly be seen in these images:
861328_10151760353505278_641384781_o.jpg

830513_10151760360185278_98045044_o.jpg

All I can think of is "Prisoner Cell Block H"!
860204_10151760353970278_1960065614_o.jpg

They are so awful it's almost not funny anymore. I genuinely can't believe they haven't done anything to the outside to disguise that they are shipping containers but also to try and encourage people to stay. Especially for the price they are charging.

Only Thorpe.

Pics courtesy of Tina/Beans over on CoasterForce. There are some great pics of the Swarms new billboard in the album too. :D

There's genuinely nothing positive I can say about that.

Edit: There's a theme park behind it?

Damn, the CrashBangWallop Pad looks awful!

Only at Thorpe....only at Thorpe

Its actually quite hilarious.

I cant believe Merlin's love of shipping containers has extended so far they've made a hotel out of them.

Oh dear...

It's not even like they've painted it to blend in some way (unless this is planned). Words fail me. For the price this looks very dire.

But saying that, they must believe their target market will like this otherwise the money would have not been spent into it.

For me though, I think I'll pass.

Well, at least the prices reflect the offering as value accommodation.

...Right? :-[

BigAl said:
I dread to think what 1 star is then.

20110916_02_SecurityHutExterior_sml.JPG

Alton Towers have unveiled new plans for their lodges in 2014.

The Crash Pad looks terrible, and I can't see many people wanting to stay in them! They look cramped and certainly unaesthetically pleasing!

I can't believe that these are rated as 4 star either when I wouldn't give them 2!

I remember when there were topics created on these forums JOKING about the day Merlin would build a shipping container hotel...

Never did we actually think it would become a reality.

Dammit Longy, you got there first. :p

I was going to present 1 star with this:
Rusty_metal_shed_-_geograph.org.uk_-_449097.jpg

Alton Towers hobbit holes are bound to be a hit in 2014!

Meanwhile Thorpe's planning permission for their one star accommodation was rejected (18+ advised looking at the below image):
bKAuFii.png

I was going to say that the one upside of these 'Snoozeboxes' would be that you would get a nice view of the lake if staying in on the side facing outwards...but judging by the size of those windows you won't even get that.

Literally, the only benefit of these is that you will be on-site. That's it.