• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Re: Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

I keep meaning to post this and I keep forgetting!

I'm not as damning as the majority of you, as I have stayed in a hotel made out of shipping containers, and I had no idea at the time. The room was the same size as I was expecting, the amenities were completely comfortable, and there wasn't a hint of corrugated iron anywhere.

Did you know Travelodge were doing this for their new builds?
http://www.hotelmanagement-network.com/ ... idge3.html

I do feel that the exterior appearance of this new Snoozebox at Thorpe could be somewhat nicer, but I don't think the rooms will be dire.

Charging £100 for a room is a bit cheeky, considering T5 and Feltham Travelodges aren't far away and are of similar quality, but I guess the premium is because you're on site.

It's laughable, but its not all that bad!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Travelodge clad the outside of their prefabs, if THORPE PARK do that I won't complain at all.

You expect Travelodge's to be cheap and simple though...

Theme parks should show a bit more effort with their stay-over options...

But who's to say they won't make a huge effort when they build their PERMANENT hotel? This is temporary, as they're heavily promoting, and is without any facilities for a bar/restaurant etc - there's a clear emphasis on eating in Bar360 and spending evenings in the park/dome.

I'm not saying that what they're doing is right, but I think its being condemned far too heavily before its even gotten off the ground.

If they put a decent fascade on the front of it, I'll be more than happy with the effort.

Thorpe Park's demographic target audience (let's step away from us enthusiasts who want an immersive experience) are largely calling for accommodation that is cheap (its in London don't forget), comfortable (it'll have washing facilities, beds and WiFi - BOOM!), and convenient.

If I work on stereotypes, which is what Thorpe do with their marketing, let's face it, then those in their late teens and early twenties just want somewhere to crash at the end of a busy day riding rollercoasters (or queuing for them at least) and consuming alcohol at a rave-type party.

Nail on the head?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

A big thanks from me to Sazzle! I was getting rather frustrated about the fact pretty much everybody is slagging this idea off.

Whilst I do think this is a doomed plan, its not for the same reasons people have been suggesting. The only reason this wont work is simply because it's in the UK....where the mention of shipping containers being used for things other than the name suggests ranks along side hostels.

My point being, in Europe Hostels are used by a hell of a lot of people but over here there is massive negativity when you simply mention the word, and the same goes with the containers - they are used for everything from houses and hotels to office building etc especially in Scandinavia.

Personally I have used many hostels over the years (both in the UK and abroad) and I have used 'prefabricated' hotels also and I've never had a bad night so I guess I just wished people would be more open minded about different approaches to doing things. Whether this project is a success or not, I doubt it but not because its a bad idea.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

That travelodge info was really interesting as I had no idea that they were using shipping containers for building new hotels. I still see no issues with this as a decent temporary solution for Thorpe anyway.

Out of interest, am I right in saying that some old plans for a hotel at Thorpe were floating around not that long ago - which showed a large and decent looking permanent place?

Its been a while since I saw the hotel plans but I believe they were in line with the dome across from swarm island (if you check google maps I think theres a staff area in a similar place) - but as I say its been a while dont hold me to that!

The hotel itself did look nice though, certainly a step up from a travelodge and a leap up from a corrugated box. The only positive I can see from this entire scenario is that it might lead to the real hotel coming along sooner rather than later.

oldgitben said:

The hotel itself did look nice though, certainly a step up from a travelodge and a leap up from a corrugated box. The only positive I can see from this entire scenario is that it might lead to the real hotel coming along sooner rather than later.

Or... If my worst fears come true, as I believe has been said earlier in this topic. It could lead to it never happening. I fear that the very often greed and laziness of Merlin could result in the 'Shipping Container Complex' being expanded and made permanent if it works and makes money. I honestly believe that if the concept makes them a profit and pulls in the guests, they will just leave it and never actually bother with a 'Real Hotel' :(

'From £64 per person per night'

Not all that cheap then. How many in a room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

mrbrightside said:

If that includes breakfast / park tickets i think its very cheap!

Up to 4 in a room with 1 double and 2 bunks.

The shipping container on that page is hilarious. But to be fair to Thorpe they have got the maketing of this "hotel" spot on. A crashpad is probably a very good description of what it will be, somewhere comfy to stay the night so that you can extend your visit to the park. Good to see that breakfast is included and that there will be evening entertainment with a bar open til late.

:)

I can't stand those bobbleheads.

Well, hope you have a bucket ready. I've found a video on these.

Now, firstly ,brilliant idea by the chap and for what it was designed for! Festivals, raceways, events - wow a fantastic idea. But, outside our "Nations Thrill Capital" though?

It's going to look absolutely vile. I imagined they might look quite kool and contemporary, if not a bit funky or unique, this looks like an old prison camp!

Alcatraz anyone?

Hotel Video News Report

Like I say, no offense to the inventor, he's a genius for coming up with this - mind you, I bet he wouldn't care what we say (I wouldn't haha), he's earnt his money now alright! ;D

TheMan said:
I can't stand those bobbleheads.

Well, hope you have a bucket ready. I've found a video on these.

Now, firstly ,brilliant idea by the chap and for what it was designed for! Festivals, raceways, events - wow a fantastic idea. But, outside our "Nations Thrill Capital" though?

It's going to look absolutely vile. I imagined they might look quite kool and contemporary, if not a bit funky or unique, this looks like an old prison camp!

Alcatraz anyone?

Hotel Video News Report

Like I say, no offense to the inventor, he's a genius for coming up with this - mind you, I bet he wouldn't care what we say (I wouldn't haha), he's earnt his money now alright! ;D

I do agree they dont look great there, but they are i guess more temporary (a couple of weeks maybe?) than thorpes temporary which will be 3 years. I think thorpe will make sure the areas landcaped an they look as presentable as possible... how possible that is is another thing!

Can you imagine if the paint them blue, whack THORPE PARK all over them, and transfers of bobble heads how utterly amazing it will look!

They're having these on site for 3 years???! :-[

That's embarrassing.

Mind you it's a clever idea, I bet they will charge you for your hotel room - then when you get there, you'll find there is a 6 pound charge if you actually want a key to get in it ;D - then once in, there will be a vending machine for pillows.

M££££££rlin.

The friction of Varney rubbing his hands together in glee could probably ease any winter heating crisis that may befall us this year.

As an aside to this:

I love that dudes signature with the giant freight ship labelled as a Merlin Cruise - that's genius by the way whoever that is - and in fact, is more attractive than the hotel on that video!

I foresee a job for you at M£rlin HQ!

simps100 said:
mrbrightside said:

If that includes breakfast / park tickets i think its very cheap!

Up to 4 in a room with 1 double and 2 bunks.
Prices include breakfast but I doubt they include park entry - though they'll probably do 'reduced' two day passes for hotel guests.

Still... If the cheapest price based on 4 sharing is £64 a night then that's not fantastic value if you're only wanting a room for two... £128 each at the lowest price point.

RustyRider said:
Thing is, it doesn't actually say per night...it says 2 day packages from £64pp...this intrigues me somewhat!
Very true! Maybe I'm wrong then and this will be good value! I'm already interested in staying there sometime next season anyway tbh.

I think it will be one of those, where it wont be too bad value if four of you go - will you pay one or two days parking though also? How will they get around that?

I still think they're vile looking though. I did genuinely think, they would have a unique aesthetic property too them, which made them at least sort of modern funky, a skinned shell or something.

And they look quite decent inside in fairness, but given the target market and what happens on park already, how tough are those rooms - I doubt it will be too long before they're tatty. And, what about noise? They hardly look beacons of acoustic insulation.

A set of metal containers, crammed full of teenagers, in quite cramped accommodation, in what do not appear to be very substantially made (or meant to be) materials, in what can hardly be very sound insulated containers.

Alton Towers struggle to keep a family hotel running, in a permanent well presented fixture model, without kids causing annoyance to other guests at times. I cannot see how this would be anything other than an utterly vile place to stay.

EDIT: And believe me, I am no snob! I love a good, cheap and cheerful B&B, probably more so than some over hyped excessively adorned glamour hotel.