• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Another thing Alton has going for it is the House+gardens, without those there wouldnt be an Alton towers in the first place, at the moment these are criminally underused - especialy in the summer evenings, why not re-open the Swiss cottage and open the gardens and house in the evening for the paying public ( all be it paying less than the daytime thrill rides crowd) the National trust has made an art from of that type of stuff - i'm sure that there are also enough people that would buy a garden/house evening ticket and possibly pay enough to make a guided tour worthwhile of either the gardens, or a behind the scenes of a ride.

Have you seen the gardens lately? They are in the worst state I've ever known them to be in, and it's all because of M£rlin! The mess they've become would take hundreds of gardeners and hundreds of hours to sort it out.

The gardens are, effectively, ruined.

The comment about the bolts may have been mis-understood, What i call bolts, some people may call screws, and in the case of the water park these fasteners held ( or hold) things such as the ball bearing maze in place in the queue line and a few other theming elements. Missing bolts such as these are not an immediate issue, but over time the ball bearing maze will warp slightly and no longer work, and the decroative fencing as well as other things will just look forlorn and not cared for giving the overall impression that the place isnt cared for.

Have you seen the gardens lately? They are in the worst state I've ever known them to be in, and it's all because of M£rlin! The mess they've become would take hundreds of gardeners and hundreds of hours to sort it out.

The gardens are, effectively, ruined.

Even more so they have made some of their gardeners redundant in the past week...

With the Gothic Prospect Tower having been restored, hopefully the Gardens are on the To Do list by the end of this scheme.

Actually no, I'd expect so. This whole TLC concept can't be a success regardless of what they do elsewhere in the park if something isn't done about the Gardens.

For TLC to be right for the whole park, there must be two sides to it. The theme park side and the historic side.
It is no good for the towers and garden to be missed out. The gothic tower as park of the historic side may be part of TLC, however we will never truly know, as it reopening will fall under the banner of the project.

If this was a whole TLC treatment for the entire park, that includes the hotels, gardens, Towers etc, then Merlin would've had separate teams working around the area and showing that, as the name would suggest, giving the park, not just the attractions, pure and simple care.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath for that. How many times have we been using that phrase for now?

Alton Towers really shouldn't be run by anything this "corporate".

It was here long before Merlin came along.

So frustrating as the combination of all the attractions really could SURELY be a draw to multiple markets if all maintained & .... MARKETED as such.

imagefd1f5.jpg

Sums up my growing scepticism surrounding this project, Alton Towers and Merlin over the years..

They need to find some way to utilise the gardens. We always make an effort to explore them and it's sad to see them get more and more neglected on every visit.

Our only hope is that national heritage get involved and force them to invest.

The gardens are just as an important feature to the park as Nemesis is. It needs to be looked after and I'd disappointed (but not surprised) if they weren't.

Most days when I have been on the park and the rides are quite busy (say half hour queues),
the gardens are dead.
I always do the gardens...
it's my job,
but I bet less than 1% of paying punters are interested in them.
The expensive entrance charges scare away those who want to visit the gardens.
The majority of people in the gardens are doing the cross valley path,
and are scared of using the cable cars!

Most days when I have been on the park and the rides are quite busy (say half hour queues),
the gardens are dead.
I always do the gardens...
it's my job,
but I bet less than 1% of paying punters are interested in them.
The expensive entrance charges scare away those who want to visit the gardens.
The majority of people in the gardens are doing the cross valley path,
and are scared of using the cable cars!

I keep reading all of your posts and thinking they're poems :p

Alton Towers really shouldn't be run by anything this "corporate".

It was here long before Merlin came along.

So frustrating as the combination of all the attractions really could SURELY be a draw to multiple markets if all maintained & .... MARKETED as such.
Alton Towers have been run by a corporate company for almost 26 years, Tussauds bought them in 1990. Yes maybe Tussauds were less "corporate" while they were owned by Pearson, but once DIC got Tussauds (and then sold it on to Merlin) everything became a lot more cost focussed.