• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Only just seen this..

Actually, quite a lot. Small things have a huge impact, but the average guest simply doesn't know how to put in to words what is wrong or what they don't like about a new attraction. They aren't as tuned in or have studied it the way enthusiasts do, so their response is simply "it isn't as good as that other ride".

Parks guests, like any kind of audience, have absolutely no idea what they want. They have no idea or understanding of how any level of showmanship works. It's up to the imagineers, designers, writers, artists etc to come up with ways to entertain people.

That's why all of these survey's towers keep conducting are absolutely meaningless, and will only hinder their future attractions if they try to design something which will please people based on what they say they want.

It's like firework survey they took at the end of the last season. Questions like "how important are the lasers with the fireworks?" - As if the average person has any clue how to answer that in a useful way.

Can you imagine Michael McIntyre asking his audience what kind of jokes they would like to hear?
This puts it into words very well. This is exactly the kind of thing I have witnessed time & time again while working on the ground at parks, or behind the scenes the 'chasm' between the attitude of people in charge and guests. Good designers know this, particularly observant guests can also see this (but no guests are required to think about it, they're there to have a laugh right? and they'll get the best laugh if the right attitude has been taken by those in charge).

But getting the right attitude is 100% learnt by experience, from experiencing a really fun ride /show /film and being able to find out how it was done.

I never had an upbringing to do with design or theme parks, I only ever became interested in them because of places like Chessington when things were full of character, today's generic kitsch, and Alton Towers before its slow 2000s decline. We all went and enjoyed these places a lot when they were better quality & value, and we stopped when that fun declined. Simple as that really, we were just guests going out for a trip and those things directly affected our overall enjoyment, whether we thought about it in these terms or not.

Good design & good ideas affect everyone. Lost all interest in eg. BubbleWorks the day it was fudged into a boring Imperial Leather advert, Ug Land as soon as Rita removed all its style, etc. It's the same with any other entertainment, like when movies became overblown remakes of each other. With enough promotion you can still sell that stuff to the masses but it's never nearly as enjoyable after a while.

Most people I talk to feel the same way about these things, for the simple reason that original ideas or good quality is always more fun in the end. It's different and it leaves you with a great impression. Nothing has to be perfection, but the day we can get attractions that aren't just glorified bean-counters and half-baked designs will be a good one.

Now that might be an echo chamber effect in talking to my friends, but I'd argue that pushing for better output in UK theme parks wouldn't take away anyone's mainstream enjoyment, as if to satisfy some kind of enthusiast elite (a bit like you suggest with your film critic analogy @Rick ), instead it would improve the quality for everyone. After all, the wider public will tell you they want a 20-looping coaster all the time, but is that what they'd enjoy the most? compared to a Nemesis or a really fun woodie? So should we build the one that will entertain them the most, or the most easily promotable one?

Same principle goes for a well designed park, and that's the only reason that I care when piecemeal changes get made which cheapen the overall experience or miss the point. :)

Regarding Rita, i know a few members have mentioned the idea of it's trains being fitted with lap restraints. Well, if you look at the photo below, Xcellerator's (Notts Berry Farm) trains look similar to Rita (similar paint job), and have lap restraints. Both coasters were manufactured by Intamin, so what they fitted Rita with this type of train?

solace9.jpg

Thoughts?

The reason was that before Rita had been installed there were a couple of accidents where guests where thrown from the rides and killed. this happened on rides with these types of lap bars in a number of cases due to the rider being two heavy/big for the restraints. Intamin therefore came up with a new restraint i.e. The type on Rita.

However intamin has now created a new lap bar as seen on some newer coasters which would work on Rita if they every decided to get new trains (unlikely).

The reason was that before Rita had been installed there were a couple of accidents where guests where thrown from the rides and killed. this happened on rides with these types of lap bars in a number of cases due to the rider being two heavy/big for the restraints. Intamin therefore came up with a new restraint i.e. The type on Rita.

However intamin has now created a new lap bar as seen on some newer coasters which would work on Rita if they every decided to get new trains (unlikely).

Surely this can't be the reason given rides still have those older lap restraints? If they were dangerous there would've been an ordered retrofit at least for the older ones. Xcelerator's restraints are perfectly fine, and working on a coaster with far more potential to eject you from the train than Rita ever could.

I am sure the older restraints are fine and certainly seemed fine when I rode accelerator. However it seemed after Intamin first used these restraints on Storm Runner and the incidents that happened, most Intamin coasters used these newer restraints, weather that was Intamin designing the rides with these restraints or the parks choosing this type.

You really think Alton are going to go for a lesser restraint at the moment after the Smiler accident and the press hate campaign against the park? The Daily Mail would have a field day reporting how Alton have replaced "safe" restraints with "unsafe" ones.

I really cant see Rita changing anytime soon - if ever.

Any kind of new restraints being fitted to a relatively conservative, almost non-existently themed coaster half the way through its operational life, would be a complete waste of time and money.

Yes I'm sure the ride experience would be better with lap bars (although only marginally as it's mostly the lap part of the restraint that actually holds you in anyway), but who would actually care enough about this to visit the park more often?

Rita is better off being sold or moved to another Merlin park to make room for a better launcher - or having something added to it would actually make a difference to the ride experience rather than wasting TLC funds doing expensive train modifications that add little value.

Any kind of new restraints being fitted to a relatively conservative, almost non-existently themed coaster half the way through its operational life, would be a complete waste of time and money.

Yes I'm sure the ride experience would be better with lap bars (although only marginally as it's mostly the lap part of the restraint that actually holds you in anyway), but who would actually care enough about this to visit the park more often?

Rita is better off being sold or moved to another Merlin park to make room for a better launcher - or having something added to it would actually make a difference to the ride experience rather than wasting TLC funds doing expensive train modifications that add little value.

Halfway through it's operational life? It's 12 years old.

Still a baby.

Halfway through it's operational life? It's 12 years old.

Still a baby.

To be honest I wish that they would have it adopted. It really is the biggest piece of crap in the whole park, which is saying something given its current state

Those restraints are the worst ones Intamin have designed (apart from maybe Colossus), though I'd rather see the whole ride removed so they could redesign the entire area and truly make Thirteen the focus...

I could live with Rita's dire throughput if they could just spruce up the rest of the ride and bulldoze the rest of the area (not Th13teen) in order to realign how things work. It's not a bad coaster, but it cuts up the area badly and the only way ot fix that is move around the shops, catering, arcade etc.

The main problems with the ride experience itself, for me, would be:
  • atrocious queueline
  • no station building
  • no exit to retail
  • lack of any real theme
There was a guy either on here or TT, I don't remember, a few years ago who posted a nice piece of concept art he made where Rita had been renamed and rethemed to Reaper, and you were escaping the Grim Reaper etc. I would extend that by enclosing the station and the launch track making it into a tunnel. Nice little shop on the exit, all themed to the Towers ruins like Th13teen.

The area just then needs a load of mature trees planted to actually make it a forest.

Fairly simple stuff tbh, and surely the most sensinible option which should have been done when they made Dark Forest?

I could live with Rita's dire throughput if they could just spruce up the rest of the ride and bulldoze the rest of the area (not Th13teen) in order to realign how things work. It's not a bad coaster, but it cuts up the area badly and the only way ot fix that is move around the shops, catering, arcade etc.

The main problems with the ride experience itself, for me, would be:
  • atrocious queueline
  • no station building
  • no exit to retail
  • lack of any real theme
There was a guy either on here or TT, I don't remember, a few years ago who posted a nice piece of concept art he made where Rita had been renamed and rethemed to Reaper, and you were escaping the Grim Reaper etc. I would extend that by enclosing the station and the launch track making it into a tunnel. Nice little shop on the exit, all themed to the Towers ruins like Th13teen.

The area just then needs a load of mature trees planted to actually make it a forest.

Fairly simple stuff tbh, and surely the most sensinible option which should have been done when they made Dark Forest?
I totally agree with the points you've raised. I think the ride should be ripped out and the whole area remodelled. Some new flats would be great and a new coaster in the forest but it doesn't necessarily need a coaster any new flats or water rides would be cool. Then the whole area needs new planting new theming and general improvements.
I don't think Rita adds much to the park and another LSM launch coaster would fit much better and be much more reliable.

Even Merlin would not have added a coaster as diabolically themed as Rita.

It is one of the last remnants of Tussauds final, dying years.

I've always thought of a few ways the queuline and food/drink outlets could be moved around so Dark Forest isn't the straight line/awful layout it is now. It's doable and would make the area far nicer, and Rita wouldn't appear as much of a problem plonked in the middle.

It will never happen under Merlin, the only chance to make a real change was in 2010, and Dark Forest was an after thought so they didn't even have time to draw up ideas on how to make the area better. Green paint and blue ivy it was.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Just found this interesting interview/discussion with Wayne Burton (head of product excellance) on Kip's blog https://www.kiphakes.com/2017/06/behind-the-scenes-at-alton-towers-resort-towers-tlc.html

Seems like the TLC Twitter is basically just Wayne taking pictures of things at the end of each day and it also mentions he really wants to work on Duel. Sounds like he has a great passion for the theme park.
Not sure I agree with 365 opening, the weather in January & February often isn't worth opening for, but they could get to 10 months out of 12 being open. Need a few more attractions though to balance out if they need maintenance closures in the main season.