• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

The fact that people need to react positively to normal maintenance for it to continue is ridiculous and points to everything that is wrong with the current running of the division.

But of course people need to react positively.

A park like Alton Towers, which has been neglected for the most part for a long time - suddenly is starting to address some of these failings.

Of course you need to react positively! Alton Towers should very well complete refurbishments every year, but the fact is it has not - and now is doing some. The maintenance happening this winter is more than would be expected typically, because they are playing catch up. What would you rather? They didn't change anything?

Surely it is natural that if the park suddenly spend hundreds of thousands on improvements, that there is some happiness in people!?!?!?

Sometimes I hate this forum! People moan about the state of the park and then get funny when they do something about it!

GRRRRRR!

It's great that these things are finally getting done, but they still have a long way to go.
Though I remain skeptical RE: the Nemesis repaint. Unless it is an exact recreation of what was there before, I will be disapointed. The repaints so far (Splash Landings and the Ice Age fence, for example) have left much to be desired. You wouldn't paint over the Mona Lisa with a crude stick figure and expect people to be greatfull, would you?

It's great that these things are finally getting done, but they still have a long way to go.
Though I remain skeptical RE: the Nemesis repaint. Unless it is an exact recreation of what was there before, I will be disapointed. The repaints so far (Splash Landings and the Ice Age fence, for example) have left much to be desired. You wouldn't paint over the Mona Lisa with a crude stick figure and expect people to be greatfull, would you?

The Nemesis project is phased, but I am aware that the track is being painted to original 1994 specification.

I agree that they don't always do a better job - but some of what we have seen (i.e. Dark Forest) in the park in recent years has been so bad, that they couldn't possibly make it worse.

:)

Disneyland Paris is going through an extensive renovation plan because as the same as Alton Towers, many areas have been left for too long. If fans didn't like something Disney did they wouldn't turn around and say 'oh we'll just leave it to rot then, up yours.' It wouldn't make a difference.

Yes people do moan a lot on here, maybe too much, and I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say we are grateful that the Resort is receiving some much needed TLC. On the same note however, we don't suddenly have to jump for joy at everything they do, as said before this kind of maintenance should be done all year, every year. I for one am not going to throw a party because they've painted a shed that's been falling down for the last ten years.

I am aware that the track is being painted to original 1994 specification.
IF this turns out to be true (not that I doubt you, old bean, just Merlin's ability to see anything though) Then nothing will make me happier. Throw in the return of the bloodfalls and there might even be hope.

Last edited:
I simply wish that opinions didn't seem to have be black or white. Either licking the boots at St. Peter's gate or throwing the dummy out and slagging them off some more.

It is of course diabolical that things got to where they did - that is exactly why I wrote to Nick Varney and Ian Crabbe twice last year about the state of things, to voice my concerns. The park has been left to rot for too long and it's shocking that it has come to this.

But finally, they seem to realise and if things are going to get better - then I think we can all have a pint to that.

the number of small to medium scaled refurbishment projects around the park is easily over 20

I do hope the Oblivion mist is one of these said 20! If I remember rightly the pipes have got blocked with limescale but surely there would be some way of getting sorted?

It's not quite the same looking into a dirty concrete hole!

Overall the TLC program is really making a difference.
their are a few thing we think could of been done better. however, It has to be a balance between the look of the theming and practicability of it within a busy theme park.

Let look at the fencing at ice age 4D. Guests will lean against the fence placing their feet on it, causing the grubby, worn out look. Maybe they could have thematic painters add snow tops to the post, however. it has to be kept in mind how quickly with they get grubby with Guests resting their hands on them

On the whole I'm impressed with the amount of work completed and in progress since TLC was announced.

Well done to the TLC Team. Now see it through and maintain the improvements.

I do hope the Oblivion mist is one of these said 20! If I remember rightly the pipes have got blocked with limescale but surely there would be some way of getting sorted?

It's not quite the same looking into a dirty concrete hole!

CILLIT BANG!!

I simply wish that opinions didn't seem to have be black or white. Either licking the boots at St. Peter's gate or throwing the dummy out and slagging them off some more.

It is of course diabolical that things got to where they did - that is exactly why I wrote to Nick Varney and Ian Crabbe twice last year about the state of things, to voice my concerns. The park has been left to rot for too long and it's shocking that it has come to this.

But finally, they seem to realise and if things are going to get better - then I think we can all have a pint to that.

I agree, I make rant posts/tongue in cheek stuff, but I do genuinely try to be fair. It isn't black and white, and I will join you Mr Dan in raising a pint to the much needed work finally taking place.

I think it's obviously a specific group that's doing this, probably that pushed hard to GET IT, and perhaps the time is appropriate to say to whoever DID get that through, thank you for the effort!!

I, like you Dan, have written to him in the past to air my views on this kind of thing, not "oh the bogs are cold" - but considered, and I feel fair (but, strongly worded) criticisms of wider park issues - with my point being things that will ultimately benefit the park & company anyway.

So here's to the ubiquitous strongly worded letter, and some new paint and paths!! ;):D

I think this project would have been received with less sinicism had they simply uploaded these updates as part of a winter maintenance diary rather than under the TLC fanfare.

We're skeptical about everything because they consistently over promise and under deliver. On this occasion though, it does seem like the park is really trying to sort out some of the issues that have let them down these past few years.

Long may it continue!

I say give them the benefit of the doubt. They have every motivation to improve the park to increase gate figures and win back public trust. I believe they will.

Of course I will be the first to go Rambo if they mess this up.

One thing which I hope will be addressed as part of this TLC is the state of the units in Dark Forest, with the old Ug Land paintwork coming through. I took this photo back in June, which I think shows how bad the problem is. All the other stuff I've seen so far is promising, but I'll reserve a full judgment until I've seen the results of all this work for myself.

With regards to the actual TLC itself, I echo the sentiments of many that this stuff should have happened a long time ago, but I'm glad they're finally doing something about it. This stuff is really what should happen every closed season (I'm not saying that stuff like Nemesis' station should get a full repaint every year, as that wouldn't be very cost-effective at all!) - just look at what EP do every closed season to the park! I do fervently hope that the TLC will end up with the park being more regularly maintained and looking better, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one just yet.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate they're doing it and I think it's a good thing that they are doing it but I'm not going to applaud them for completing basic maintenance. Especially not when they're closing rides as well, if they were doing a DLP and closing the rides for a refurb, that would be understandable, but they not (as far as I know).

Here's my dilemma:

I really want to throw my support behind TLC. It's great the park is finally seeing some love. Like Dan I fear that if it isn't received well they'll go back to not caring...

However I have no intention of return this year! Alongside TLC the park have decided to butcher one of my favourite rides and close several others. Ironically if the Roller Coaster Restaurant and TLC were the only things happening this year I'd have already planned a trip. It's like they've offered me candy in one hand and back handed me with the other.

It is disheartening to read so much negativity regarding something enthusiasts have been crying out for years. It's like Alton can never win. For years people have complained about the state in which Alton was getting in and the fact it needed some serious 'TLC', now that they're spending a fortune in one closed season people are complaining.

Yes it probably should have been done sooner but recently their priority was keeping moaning enthusiats happy by providing a 'high thrill' coaster to the lineup in The Smiler. This year they've chosen to spend a lot to freshen the feel of the park and it's still not enough. o_O

Do you think if they had this programe in place years ago (and on going). The flat rides (ripsaw, submission??) would still be going today? I love what they are doing but it still feels like a knee jerk reaction to me.

Do you think if they had this programe in place years ago (and on going). The flat rides (ripsaw, submission??) would still be going today? I love what they are doing but it still feels like a knee jerk reaction to me.

I don't think adding another layer of paint to Ripsaw would have helped it.

Most of the TLC things are cleaning & painting. Ripsaw was given a full mechanical check and repair every closed season.