• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Coaster Building Contest 2021/22: Winners Declared (Competition Ended 12th May)

What kind of capacity are we looking for?
I didn’t really have a capacity constraint in mind for this one, to tell you the truth; I’m not sure what kind of capacity Drayton would realistically need. And with them being a smaller park, I’m not sure capacity is quite as important as it is at Thorpe Park (within reason, of course).

I was thinking I might mainly keep the capacity constraints to the challenges relating to larger parks. Perhaps because I have a better idea of the type of throughput the larger parks might need, but also because I think anything would probably suffice at Drayton or another smaller park provided it’s not a really, really long coaster with only 1 train or whatever, which I don’t think this plot would lend itself to.

My first attempt went better than expected for such a tight plot, so I've decided to stick with it rather than going round in circles changing it haha! so here is my first entry in the competition for Round 2

My first attempt went better than expected for such a tight plot, so I've decided to stick with it rather than going round in circles changing it haha! so here is my first entry in the competition for Round 2

Very nice submission @Connor98! I really like the airtime pops and turns, and overall, I think it uses the area really well!

What are the stats like, out of interest?

Very nice submission @Connor98! I really like the airtime pops and turns, and overall, I think it uses the area really well!

What are the stats like, out of interest?
Thank you very much! And I’ll have to confirm that one for you when I get back home but off the top of my head, the first launch is 32mph, with the second launch being the top speed of 42mph. It has a maximum height of around 40ft and a length of just under 2000ft. Runs 2 Trains.

I too have a submission ready... everybody say hello to Tempest, a Maurer spinning coaster with a loose pirate theme:
Tempest-Layout-Overview.png

Tempest-Entrance.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Tempest
  • Manufacturer: Maurer AG
  • Model: Spinning Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 68ft/21m
  • Speed: 42mph/68kph
  • Length: 2,229ft/679m
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4G (max spike), 3G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.8G (max spike & heatmap)
  • Number of Trains: 7
  • Riders Per Train: 4
  • Throughput: 648pph
The things I've learned from this are that I really struggle to build in tight spots like this one, and also that Maurer spinners are a surprisingly tough ride type to build... I hadn't built one for a while, and I'd forgotten how they're very difficult to get smooth, and also how they're very difficult to make seamless ride experiences out of if you want any kind of throughput out of them. I spent ages smoothing the track out, and I also spent a while tampering with different numbers of cars on the track to see which number provided the optimal blend of maximum throughput and minimum stacking. And even then, there's still 1 or 2 definite slightly suspect spots (the drop off the 2nd MCBR is definitely slightly suspect... I smoothed and smoothed that, but it wouldn't get a lot smoother).

Here's the Steam Workshop link, if you're interested in downloading Tempest for yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2762815155

I know this isn't my finest work, but I think it's about the best I could do within this plot... I hope you like it.

Really like that one, Matt! Seems a long layout too for such a tight plot, which I struggled to do myself. A good mix of turns/helix’s and pops of air off the drops too.

I too have a submission ready... everybody say hello to Tempest, a Maurer spinning coaster with a loose pirate theme:
Tempest-Layout-Overview.png

Tempest-Entrance.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Tempest
  • Manufacturer: Maurer AG
  • Model: Spinning Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 68ft/21m
  • Speed: 42mph/68kph
  • Length: 2,229ft/679m
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4G (max spike), 3G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.8G (max spike & heatmap)
  • Number of Trains: 7
  • Riders Per Train: 4
  • Throughput: 648pph
The things I've learned from this are that I really struggle to build in tight spots like this one, and also that Maurer spinners are a surprisingly tough ride type to build... I hadn't built one for a while, and I'd forgotten how they're very difficult to get smooth, and also how they're very difficult to make seamless ride experiences out of if you want any kind of throughput out of them. I spent ages smoothing the track out, and I also spent a while tampering with different numbers of cars on the track to see which number provided the optimal blend of maximum throughput and minimum stacking. And even then, there's still 1 or 2 definite slightly suspect spots (the drop off the 2nd MCBR is definitely slightly suspect... I smoothed and smoothed that, but it wouldn't get a lot smoother).

Here's the Steam Workshop link, if you're interested in downloading Tempest for yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2762815155

I know this isn't my finest work, but I think it's about the best I could do within this plot... I hope you like it.

Looks good but have you got a POV? The steam links are a bit of a nightmare for me to sort out.

Looks good but have you got a POV? The steam links are a bit of a nightmare for me to sort out.
I have; it's embedded up there with the pictures, but if you struggled to find it, here's the link:

Name: Pocket Rocket
Manufacturer: Gravity Group Family Woodie
Height: 65ft
Biggest Drop: 36ft
Max Speed: 39mph

I think I may have overestimated the footprint but it's lead to a very compact coaster.

Pocket Rocket is inspired by the brilliant Kentucky Flyer at Kentucky Kingdom, which is a family friendly coaster with good airtime. The coaster type would be a great addition to Drayton Manor.

Gone for a quite unique first drop into a turnaround. Quite a short ride, but looks fun.

Well Mattt, I feel a bit stupid. Looking back I spotted it instantly, my apologies, your very polite about it.
That's quite all right; it was an easy thing to miss among the sea of pictures and text!

I think I may have overestimated the footprint but it's lead to a very compact coaster.

Pocket Rocket is inspired by the brilliant Kentucky Flyer at Kentucky Kingdom, which is a family friendly coaster with good airtime. The coaster type would be a great addition to Drayton Manor.

Gone for a quite unique first drop into a turnaround. Quite a short ride, but looks fun.

Great submission @RicketyCricket; I particularly like the little airtime pops!

looks great @RicketyCricket , it seems I've got some competition as I'm also building a family woodie, at least I know what I'm up against now. With your massive lead I think I've got a mountain to climb if I want to be anywhere near your score.

So...my entry

I present Originality Coaster 2: The Sequel. An RMC hybrid family coaster.

RMC for Drayton Manor, a 2078ft, 1080pph, 46 mph pile of stupidity I made in an hour. It is a speed build challenge after all :p

91vTOPAtTc-oIHLFyNHdVA.png

HNA8DX3LQbi3oZK97N6Qng.png

53xP46DEQLC8zLXRF0DVbQ.png

Very nice submission @Poisson; I like all the airtime hills, and you’ve gotten a remarkably long layout out of the footprint!

@Matt.GC or other console players. Is there a way to view the overall footprint space?

Can't see any way of doing it so going by guess work again for now.

Sorry mate, been at work. I started building last night and I did it by basically building a path around the site to the dimensions. There's no way on console edition to amend the size of the park. If you put the foot path settings down to the lowest, each piece is 4 MTRS long. So I took the dimensions, divided them by 4 and built a path of that amount of pieces round the site.

Just a friendly reminder, everyone; you have approximately 3 days, 12 hours and 29 minutes remaining to get your submissions in for Round 2!

Just a friendly reminder, everyone; you have approximately 3 days, 12 hours and 29 minutes remaining to get your submissions in for Round 2!
I'm quite behind with mine but I should get my submission in. It'll be much easier now to do my entry post with the new forum as I won't have to go to those image hosting sites. Loving the captain coaster signature too @Matt N ! Anyway I shall get my submission in soon, possibility today if planet coaster decides to stop crashing.

I'm quite behind with mine but I should get my submission in. It'll be much easier now to do my entry post with the new forum as I won't have to go to those image hosting sites. Loving the captain coaster signature too @Matt N ! Anyway I shall get my submission in soon, possibility today if planet coaster decides to stop crashing.
To be honest, I think I might stick with my image hosting site myself. When I tried uploading a file from PlanCo on the tester forum, it said my image was too big, so I’m not sure I’d want to take the risk; imgBB works well for me at the moment. I am glad the function is there, though, as it could well prove very useful!

Thank you; I was looking forward to getting that back in there on the new forum!

There’s no rush; as I said, you still have 3 days!

Man this was bloody hard! Such a low height to work with and a small foot print. But I managed to squeeze some air time and G's out of it just about. It only has a max drop of 9 mtrs so I took the Nemesis approach of just working the layout downwards. Of course, like most, I've decided Drayton really needs a woodie so I built a tiny GCI, which I'd theme to a Kansas farm tornado.

Name: Drayton Twister
Height: 25mtrs (with a bit of a pit)
Max G: 5g
Max airtime: - 1.5g
Airtime moments: 9